• 43(current)
Google Nexus Player
My whole library (500+ movies) is encoded mpeg2/ac3 in mkv container and I have no issues playing them. Do you have a small clip you can post, I'll check if I have the same issues with it..
I was sitting in Target parking lot when they opened, but they were sold out, and they said all the nearby stores did not have any either.........
These also went on sale in Canada (staples/indigo) for $69 (~$52 USD), so I have one on order. Not the super-hot Target price, but not bad.

A couple of questions:
1) Anyone have any luck with the super-cheap ebay USB to ethernet adapters (e.g. like this) It claims to use the AX88772 chipset, so in theory it should work....

2) Alternately, any decent adapters in the $10-$15 range?
I've seen recommendations for the Inateck or Plugable ones, but I'd rather not spend half the cost of the device just for wired ethernet

3) Can I use a USB/Ethernet adapter through a USB hub (can't think why not), or does it need to be direct?
My rec smsc7500 chipset, plug/play on nexus, 100/1000, $16.. Running through hub no problem (powered if you're running multiple items) And YES 1gb is faster than the 100mbs on usb 2, I started with the AX88772 and upgraded to the smsc7500/1gb and it's about 2x faster, don't have the 100mbs handy but here is the 1gb vs the built in 5ghz wireless..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTV1...detailpage

5ghz
smsc 1gb
(2015-10-22, 21:25)scottfree1 Wrote: My whole library (500+ movies) is encoded mpeg2/ac3 in mkv container and I have no issues playing them. Do you have a small clip you can post, I'll check if I have the same issues with it..

Thanks for offering to take a look.... this is mpeg-ps container (as MythTV captured it). It's actually much worse on SD content, but I don't have any recorded SD files handy and I'm pulling this clip remotely.

What I'm seeing is black or white horizontal lines in areas of lots of transition. Kids programming is very noticeable.

http://expirebox.com/download/09fbc07f61...03206.html

It does feel like an interlacing issue since vlc on linux gives decent results with deinterlacing enabled.

Here is the mediainfo for the video section:
Video
ID : 3306 (0xCEA)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@high
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : Variable
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Codec ID : 2
Duration : 29mn 57s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 9 874 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 38.8 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Active Format Description : Letterbox 16:9 image
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.159
Stream size : 2.07 GiB (93%)
Yeah, I see it in the face of the purple girl, but on both my nexus and my pc, so I'm thinking it's the clip and not an issue with hw/sw.

Spitballing, 29.9 fps, in my encoding adventures I ended up at 23.9 fps as suggested in some long lost ffmpeg forum post (not sure why but it was to solve some issue) also it could be a interlacing issue, you may want look into that, and lastly it looks like it has hard coded subs in the file, I've had issues with those and try and rip them out whenever possible..
(2015-10-23, 00:04)scottfree1 Wrote: Yeah, I see it in the face of the purple girl, but on both my nexus and my pc, so I'm thinking it's the clip and not an issue with hw/sw.

Spitballing, 29.9 fps, in my encoding adventures I ended up at 23.9 fps as suggested in some long lost ffmpeg forum post (not sure why but it was to solve some issue) also it could be a interlacing issue, you may want look into that, and lastly it looks like it has hard coded subs in the file, I've had issues with those and try and rip them out whenever possible..

Actually, I probably picked a bad clip.... the lines in the girl are part of the show (she's supposed to be a hologram or something).

It's possible that there could be something to fix in MythTV -- I'm not really an expert in it, just figured out enough to get it running. However, I don't think it is just a certain program or channel that is affected. I can see it on many channels (all recorded via hdhomerun). It is also not noticeable using the HDHR app or on kodi on nvidia shield.

If I play it using vlc with interlacing disabled, I basically get the same effect: http://i.imgur.com/yb3gVk9.jpg (although the NP usually displays black lines rather than white like this)

The particular TV I have this attached to is not capable of 1080p, only 1080i... so it is possible that is also part of the issue (my shield is attached to a 1080p display).
Yeah, it in the clip, and you're probably the only one who's able to fix it. I ran through pretty much every encoding possibility trying to find the perfect combination of file size, compatibility, quality, but that's just perfect 4 me..
(2015-10-23, 00:42)scottfree1 Wrote: Yeah, it in the clip, and you're probably the only one who's able to fix it. I ran through pretty much every encoding possibility trying to find the perfect combination of file size, compatibility, quality, but that's just perfect 4 me..

Well, just to be clear, the lines on the girl's face are part of the TV program. However, if I play this clip on my np attached to my 1080i TV, I see black lines when the characters move their heads or are falling. And that is definitely not part of the clip. I'll try hooking the np up to my 1080p TV and see what happens...
(2015-10-23, 00:50)jadedchameleon Wrote: Well, just to be clear, the lines on the girl's face are part of the TV program. However, if I play this clip on my np attached to my 1080i TV, I see black lines when the characters move their heads or are falling. And that is definitely not part of the clip. I'll try hooking the np up to my 1080p TV and see what happens...

Well, when I attach the NP to my much newer Sony 1080p set everything plays much better. When it is attached to my 2007-era Samsung TV for the kids (no receiver, etc), I get the horrible horizontal lines during motion. It looks like the NP has the Samsung TV running at 720p. Anyone have any ideas?
Jarvis A3 X86 build running great on the Nexus player. With minimal remote buttons, the long press option feature is welcomed.
Tried running the Arm build prior to the x86 install. The Arm version hung the box up several times.
(2015-10-23, 05:30)jadedchameleon Wrote:
(2015-10-23, 00:50)jadedchameleon Wrote: Well, just to be clear, the lines on the girl's face are part of the TV program. However, if I play this clip on my np attached to my 1080i TV, I see black lines when the characters move their heads or are falling. And that is definitely not part of the clip. I'll try hooking the np up to my 1080p TV and see what happens...

Well, when I attach the NP to my much newer Sony 1080p set everything plays much better. When it is attached to my 2007-era Samsung TV for the kids (no receiver, etc), I get the horrible horizontal lines during motion. It looks like the NP has the Samsung TV running at 720p. Anyone have any ideas?

It looks like running a Jarvis x86 nightly with libstagefright enabled and mediacodec disabled fixes my horizontal line issue and picture quality is very good (for 720p). However, it is super unstable to the point of unusable. The video freezes frequently and the app has to be force quit. When the menu is overlaid over playing live TV, it becomes extremely erratic like it is constantly changing framerates, and then kodi crashes back to the launcher.
@jadedchameleon - Are you running the latest Marshmallow firmware? I noticed that some Mpeg-2 files did not run properly on the Lollipop firmware, but do on Marshmallow. If not, then give it a shot.
(2015-10-23, 23:14)woronczak Wrote: @jadedchameleon - Are you running the latest Marshmallow firmware? I noticed that some Mpeg-2 files did not run properly on the Lollipop firmware, but do on Marshmallow. If not, then give it a shot.

Indeed, I am running M, and have all updates applied.
Has Google blocked kodi on there Google play store for the nexus player?!!

Bought a nexus player last week. First thing I did was install kodi. Everything was working fine. Accidentally deleted the app (my son did it). Went into the play store on the nexus player to install again.....and I can't find it. It's nowhere to be found on there. I checked play store on my phone and it's there. Went on pc, went to play store, it's there. Tried to send install from play store on my pc to the nexus player.....and it just hung up. Wouldn't send install. I think they blocked it!!
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7