• 43(current)
New HiMedia Q5
(2015-12-30, 12:09)looun Wrote: http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php...93.new#new

1. Extract update.zip from the download archive to the root of a USB pen drive. (the USB pen drive should contain a single file called 'update/zip').
2. Insert the USB pen drive into any USB port of the Q5 4K3D.
3. With the Q5 4K3D turned off, use a paper clip or pen to press and hold the the pinhole restore button on the side of the Q5 4K3D (next to the USB ports).
4. While keeping the restore button pressed, turn on the Q5 4K3D.
5. The Q5 4K3D will show an Android droid logo and proceed to upgrade the firmware.
6. The box will auto-reboot when finished.

So I am hearing that this can only be used on European version of the box and not Chinese version. How can I tell whether I have European or Chinese version of the box? My firmware says 1.0.7 and I also bought this box from Canada Computers over the holidays. I see only one app that is in Chinese which is the "Calendar" App, all the rest are in English. On the actual hardware on top of the unit its got "Himedia" written on it.

I tried to load the 3.0.2 by following the instruction. Was not successful. I see the Android logo come up and proceed to upgrade the firmware. It upgrades it for few second then the android logo disappears and then comes back again and upgrades. This just keeps on happening for almost 3 to 4 minutes while I held the reset button, but does not really load the 3.0.2. What am I doing wrong, Is there another way to load the 3.0.2. My current firmware is 1.0.7.

I even tried to install through "Settings" menu through Local Upgrade, but keeps on giving me the message "No upgrade File".

Also tried it through "File Manager", I see the file Update 3.0.2.Zip, however its asking me "Complete action using". Not sure what action to select here.

Do I need to extract the zip file when putting it into the USB stick or just copy the zip file straight into USB without extracting it.

What am I doing wrong? Please help. SadSad
Sounds like you have the English version box, which is good.

Re: firmware update, it should be a FAT32 formatted USB stick with nothing in it except update.zip. Plug in power, plug in USB stick, but don't turn on Q5, stick a pin/toothpick in the reset hole and HOLD it there, press power button and wait until Android logo appears on your TV, and now let go of the pin/toothpick from reset hole.

Quote:Do I need to extract the zip file when putting it into the USB stick or just copy the zip file straight into USB without extracting it.
Yes, if you get the update package zip from Futeko's site. Once you extract it, just grab the update.zip file only to put on a USB stick.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-12-31, 18:29)hdmkv Wrote: Sounds like you have the English version box, which is good.

Re: firmware update, it should be a FAT32 formatted USB stick with nothing in it except update.zip. Plug in power, plug in USB stick, but don't turn on Q5, stick a pin/toothpick in the reset hole and HOLD it there, press power button and wait until Android logo appears on your TV, and now let go of the pin/toothpick from reset hole.

Quote:Do I need to extract the zip file when putting it into the USB stick or just copy the zip file straight into USB without extracting it.
Yes, if you get the update package zip from Futeko's site. Once you extract it, just grab the update.zip file only to put on a USB stick.

Thanks I will try that.
Thanks. That worked.
Thanks for all your help hdmkv. Got it working. Just couple of more questions:

How can I tell whether I am playing from external Himedia player or the Kodi internal player?

Is the picture quality and sound quality better with the Himedia external player compared to Kodi internal player?

How do I go about installing the Himedia external player on my Q5?

I have a home theatre system that does 5.1. Can I just connect the HDMI cable to Q5 and select D-LInk out on my home theatre to get 5.1 working or do I need to actually connect the audio cables (ie.optical or rca audio cables) to Q5 to get the home theatre going?

Thanks for your help.
To apply the external player wrapper, you need to first launch Kodi, then exit out. Now open the 'Wrapper' app, then click to apply it (basically installs a custom playercorefactory.xml). Now, when you re-start Kodi and play most videos, the external player will be used (you can clearly tell it's being launched). To use Kodi's dvdplayer (videoplayer), just highlight video and bring up content menu and choose 'Play using...'.

I never use the internal player w/Q5, only external, but I believe the Imprex PQ engine applies to any player you use via Q5.

Re: a/v cable, yes, use HDMI only.
My HT
Thanks for the feedback hdmkv.
Just purchase Q5 latest generation after using Q5ii for 2 years, Q5iii work flawlessly with external player using Kodi and i hope Kodi v17 will be good for HD Audio to passthrough and we could use it with Kodi internal player which provide more features! Smile So far as now the workaround is good enough for me to use until Kodi v17 or Q5 next gen. (At that time i may change the TV to 4K hopefully)
Kodi v17 at 99,99% NOT support HD Audio to passthrough with Q5 and auto-switch dvdplayer NOT work with q5.
If you want kodi player buy other device.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Can the kodi add-ons stream pay-tv channels like supper sport n if so which add-ons n which streamers?
(2016-01-05, 13:48)nash254 Wrote: Can the kodi add-ons stream pay-tv channels like supper sport n if so which add-ons n which streamers?

with this playercorefactory.xml YES and NO.
- yes add-on work
- no auto-swtich fsp not work with q5, so maybe you can have some stutter video.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Hello again,
I found an interesting test from our esteemed user wesk05 here
I ran the test and I found that with Himedia Imprex Engine on I have Chroma clipping and R/G/B clipping (no four small squares), disabling Imp. Engine results in no clipping (the four small squares is visible).
Regardless the settings I have white clipping.

Has anyone run this test on Q5?
@wesk05, could you tell me if the file is recoded or just the extension is changed with no recoding? I don't have clean ramp on any player including TV althought on post 8 someone has the same TV as me (Samsung HU7500).

Many thanks.
I can confirm HiMedia Q5/Q10 doesn't support forced subs. Did a full disc rip to ISO of 'The Martian', and the full English sub shows by default, not just the forced parts (when the Chinese space agency leads are first shown).

In my case, as I rip to movie-only ISO's and MKV's, this matters not... because I only mux in the forced sub. But, for those who do full ISO rips, if there isn't a separate forced-only PGS track like with 'The Martian', it would be annoying as sub would appear throughout the movie (like with 'Avatar') and just just the forced parts (like Na'vi speaking).

Does this warrant knocking down HiMedia Q5/Q10 score in the 3D chart and thread from 'A' to 'A-'? Would like your guys thoughts.
My HT
(2016-01-05, 15:23)looun Wrote: with this playercorefactory.xml YES and NO.
- yes add-on work
- no auto-swtich fsp not work with q5, so maybe you can have some stutter video.

I've nt bn able to use the wrapper. Installed as instructed n shows "install ok" bt on startin kodi nuthin happens. What im i missing?
If it says "install ok", when you play videos from Kodi, the external player should auto-launch and play them. If that's not happening, one of the following is likely the case:

- You have a Chinese version box, not English branded one
- You didn't first launch Kodi and quit, then only apply the wrapper APK

If you did do the above and it's still not working, I'd suggest asking on Futeko forum.
My HT
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HiMedia Q53