• 26(current)
New HiMedia Q5
Only ISO. I'm sure HiMedia could add MVC MKV support though as Q5 obviously has h/w MVC decoding capability. Did request this recently, but who know if or when they might.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thanks hdmkv. That is helpful.

It isn't lossless audio that is the problem. Here is one that doesn't work and it has lossy AC-3:

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Complete name : /Volumes/Storage/Media Library/TV Q5/A History of Scotland/Season 1/A History of Scotland S01E01 - The Last of the Free.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 11.9 GiB
Duration : 57mn 50s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 29.5 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 27.8 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 38.9 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.536
Stream size : 11.2 GiB (94%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 129
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 106 MiB (1%)
Language : English

I noticed that the file you posted MediaInfo on had an overall bitrate of 8.1 Mbps. Mine has 29.5 Mbps. Maybe the HiMedia player doesn't like high bitrate H.264 in a TS container?
Q5 playback high bitrate H.264 without problem like this http://jell.yfish.us/media/Jellyfish-120-Mbps.mkv.

ok ,start to begin:
which version of kodi you use?
do you have install mediawrapper?
with media center ( himedia ) do you have any problem ?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-08-07, 19:55)BigPines Wrote: This is my first experience with Kodi so sorry if these questions are remedial. I am excited to get started but having a rough time.

I have the Q5IV 4K3D here. Tried both NFS and SMB shares on my media server (running OS X) and Kodi can't play files from either. The NFS share is recognized but when you try to browse to it, nothing happens. I can't see any video files. The SMB share has read/write permissions for everyone and the video files can be seen and are added to the library but when trying to play them, none work. Nothing happens...

Welcome to the world of MacOS vs. android devices Confused. Though Mac NFS Share works with many devices, android connection is iffy at best. Native MAC SMB does not work at all thanks to Apple's version of SMB 2 and 3 (I am running Yosemite 10.10.4). I use SMBUp for MacOS which also corrects SMB communication with Android boxes. But I also use looun's Auto_Mount_Multimedia_v0.2 to setup SAMBA shares as dedicated local folders on the Himedia Q5. With this connection I have been able to stream hi-bitrate lossless movies (rates from 40 to 60 Mbps) with Dolby Atmos soundtracks in mkv files from my MacPro without any audio or video stuttering using the built-in Himedia Video Player. But there is no 3D MKV support as others have commented, only 3D .iso support. And I have not tried streaming high bitrate video's in a TS container, but indirectly it definitely plays high bitrate media in m2ts containers since it plays native blu-ray iso files.
It seems H8 , 3d iso and hd audio DOES work with himediaplayer in kodi
Anyone planning to get the H8?
(2015-02-19, 17:50)hdmkv Wrote: Looking at the Futeko forum, it appears HiMedia provides a wrapper with their firmware that forces Kodi to use the Realtek player (vs. Kodi's internal) to achieve 3D ISO and HD audio playback. Question is, like you said, how well?

Probably like you I am a Media Box junkyBig Grin... in any case I have been pleasantly surprised how well this box works with all my movies and TV Shows. Their Himedia Video Player is able to play all High Definition Audio (including Dolby Atmos tracks) without stuttering. Unlike the Zappiti Player 4K the Dolby True HD and Dolby Atmos soundtracks stay in sync when you skip around the movie or TV Show. It also plays high bitrate (Blu-ray lossless) H.264 and VC-1 video files without stuttering now and displays 23.976 fps. I have not been able to get the video player to chapter skip through MKV, MP4|MOV|M4V files at all, which I think is a problem with that feature not supported. And the Video quality is better (though slightly) than the VidOn box (however the VidOn box does have problems handling very high bitrate movie rips where the Himedia Player does not), and is MUCH better than the built in Kodi DVDplayer. However the video quality is not quite as good as the Zappiti Player 4K to my eyes despite a video enhancing engine (which I always disable). I have not tested H.265 sources since I do not have a 4K monitor.

ndNow for the down side (from my perspective)... The user/movie interface for the most part will be Kodi (currently Isengard v15.0), which may be a good thing but has inherent control issues with the limited Android remote commands and need to run the Himedia Video Player separately. Using a mouse can enhance control, but is awkward on a media streaming android box. they use their own HimediaWrapper (similar to the XMBCWrapper) to force the playback to their Himedia Video Player (using the built in graphics chips Octa-core Mali-450 GPU). Like all of the other companies they rely on the graphic chip manufacturer to fix the video problems, but unlike the other media streamers (Zappti Player 4K, Open Hour Chameleon, etc) their graphic chip manufacturer seems to release the firmware fixes quicker. The setup for this box is much more complicated. I had quite a lot of trouble trying to stream videos from my MacPro using SMB (due to most Android boxes having problems with MacOS's versions of NFS and SMB). The Himedia Video Player plays my streamed videos via SMB from my MacPro (via a Mac SMB substitute program), but I had problems trying to get the HimediaWrapper to work in Kodi. I finally was able to perfect the connection using an Auto_Mount_Multimedia script written by another third party user. Because most of your videos will be played outside of your Kodi app, they had to provide an external fix to automatically set the viewed flag in Kodi. The ongoing viewed flag is still ignored. The Himedia Video Player does not set forced subtitles automatically, but you can easily activate and set subtitles, which for the most part work correctly. And 3D MKV files are not supported yet, but 3D iso's play remarkably well. They do not support full blu-ray menus as would be expected with Cinavia US restrictions. And this box still has random video and audio stuttering issues. Some of this is caused by errant Android processes interfering with the Himedia Video Player playback. But the engineers at Himedia have not identified all the causes yet and have not released a firmware update to fix the problem. Rebooting the box (powering it off then on) sometimes fixes the problem.

Once I finally completed the setup, the Himedia Player has become my Media Streaming box of choice, or until another media streamer has its problems fixed. But remember this is an Android box... do NOT run another app (or even update your Kodi video library) while your trying to watch your Movie or TV Show if you want to avoid video stuttering (see above comments on video stuttering issue). And I have found that playback is very sensitive to the type of software that you use to rip your Blu-rays into MKV files, especially with VC1 codecs and with Dolby True HD/Dolby Atmos soundtracks. It seems that DVDFab 9 may be more reliable a ripper than MakeMKV, though I use both all of the time.

Also, the first box that I purchased had problems maintaining an HDMI connection so I sent it back to Amazon US for refund. The second box I purchased directly from Futeko UK. It worked great for 3 days, and now will not turn on at all! These boxes run very hot! Nod. I have sent the second box back to China for repair!
Thank you everyone for your help! After sorting out the major issues (most of which were actually Apple's fault) and living with this box for a few days, I know I am going to love it. It isn't perfect but it can be made to work very nicely and it will be a significant upgrade compared to my Popcorn Hour A210. Thank you especially looun. I can see you are a resident expert here and I appreciate the help. Smile

(2015-08-10, 11:20)looun Wrote: Q5 playback high bitrate H.264 without problem like this http://jell.yfish.us/media/Jellyfish-120-Mbps.mkv.

This test clip will not play back on my Q5. It won't play back in MKV or TS container. I get an error "Video problem" no matter what.

(2015-08-10, 11:20)looun Wrote: ok ,start to begin:
which version of kodi you use?
do you have install mediawrapper?
with media center ( himedia ) do you have any problem ?

My Q5 is running Kodi 14.2
Yes, I have mediawrapper installed. That solved many of the issues.
Yes, when playing directly from the HiMedia Media Center, I get an error "Content cannot be read" when playing any video in a TS container. This does not seem to be only H.264 or high bitrate streams. It won't even play MPEG2 ripped directly from DVD either if it is in a TS container.

Other things I'd like to know:

1) Can I configure the Q5 to boot directly into Kodi? I assume so.
2) Can I access the Q5 from a computer on the network in order to back-up the Kodi library file? Do I need to root the box to do this? if so, can someone point me to a tutorial? I am already getting a rather large customized library and I'm afraid something may go wrong and I will lose all my hard work. I want to be cautious.
ppoulos, your observations about Q5 are spot on. Re: heat, Q5 indeed gets extremely hot (not helped by metal casing, lack of proper venting), but I haven't had issues losing HDMI connectivity.

(2015-08-13, 04:41)BigPines Wrote: This test clip will not play back on my Q5.
Can you try the the 100Mbps clip? It plays fine for me; downloaded it several months ago from same site. Didn't bother with 120Mbps as no Blu-ray content plays at that bitrate (max is like 60-70Mbps I believe).

BigPines Wrote:Can I configure the Q5 to boot directly into Kodi? I assume so.
Yes. You'll need to sideload this app. Just be sure to first favorite HiMedia's 'Settings' app in Kodi (go to Programs > Android Apps. Or, if you go directly into your Programs, click the two dots at the top to take you back a screen). This way, you have a way to go back to HiMedia's launcher, uninstall/reinstall new versions of Kodi, etc.

BigPines Wrote:Can I access the Q5 from a computer on the network in order to back-up the Kodi library file? Do I need to root the box to do this?
No root needed. Two ways to do what you want: (1) Install the 'Backup' Kodi add-on (under 'Programs'), configure what/where to back-up, then just use. Then, on new set-up, you install the Backup add-on and just 'Restore'; and (2) pop a USB stick (with ESFileExplorer if you don't already have it installed) into your Q5, then use ES (make sure you enable hidden folders first) to navigate to local drive and Android > data > org.xbmc.kodi > files and copy the .kodi folder and paste to your USB. Now, on a new Android player set-up, you can just copy over the .kodi folder and overwrite what's there.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thank you for your response hdmkv.

(2015-08-13, 14:51)hdmkv Wrote: Can you try the the 100Mbps clip? It plays fine for me; downloaded it several months ago from same site. Didn't bother with 120Mbps as no Blu-ray content plays at that bitrate (max is like 60-70Mbps I believe).
Nope, the 100 Mbps file gives the same error. Sad I wonder why our Q5s behave so differently?

(2015-08-13, 14:51)hdmkv Wrote: You'll need to sideload this app. Just be sure to first favorite HiMedia's 'Settings' app in Kodi (go to Programs > Android Apps. Or, if you go directly into your Programs, click the two dots at the top to take you back a screen). This way, you have a way to go back to HiMedia's launcher, uninstall/reinstall new versions of Kodi, etc.
I added the Settings app to my favorites in Kodi but I'm not sure what that does. I can't see where the favorites show up and I can already access Settings directly from the Programs->Android menu anyway. Sorry, I'm a Kodi newbie. Can you explain that to me? I did load xmbclauncher and it did the trick nicely. I can still get to all the Android apps in the programs menu.

(2015-08-13, 14:51)hdmkv Wrote: No root needed. Two ways to do what you want: (1) Install the 'Backup' Kodi add-on (under 'Programs'), configure what/where to back-up, then just use. Then, on new set-up, you install the Backup add-on and just 'Restore'; and (2) pop a USB stick (with ESFileExplorer if you don't already have it installed) into your Q5, then use ES (make sure you enable hidden folders first) to navigate to local drive and Android > data > org.xbmc.kodi > files and copy the .kodi folder and paste to your USB. Now, on a new Android player set-up, you can just copy over the .kodi folder and overwrite what's there.
Thanks, I will try the USB method today and report back. I would really rather do this from a local PC though if possible so I don't have to fumble with the USB drive. If I could access the library file from a local PC, I could keep it backed up on the PC and modify it much more quickly than messing around with the awkward remote keyboard. I understand I can do the same thing with the USB drive but it is an extra step that I'd rather avoid if possible.

EDIT: I was able to copy the org.xmbc.kodi dir to my PC. Dug around and here is what I have discovered so far:

org.xmbc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Database - library database files in SQLite format
org.xmbc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml - settings
org.xmbc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml - network shares for TV and Movies
org.xmbc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Thumbnails - art

Unsure if editing any of this stuff outside of Kodi will cause problems or not.
Regarding H8 and a 'wrapper' to give the same 7.1 audio and 3D-ISO in Kodi as Q5/Q10/M3.

To clarify, such a wrapper does not yet exist. We are waiting for Himedia to create one. More info here: http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php...74#msg1374
(2015-08-13, 16:38)BigPines Wrote: Thanks, I will try the USB method today and report back. I would really rather do this from a local PC though if possible so I don't have to fumble with the USB drive. If I could access the library file from a local PC, I could keep it backed up on the PC and modify it much more quickly than messing around with the awkward remote keyboard. I understand I can do the same thing with the USB drive but it is an extra step that I'd rather avoid if possible.

Have you tried to FTP changes to your Himedia Q5? I use FTP Server on the Himedia Q5 (downloaded from the Google Play Store) and Captain FTP on my MacPro (which I had for years). I run FTP Server and leave it running in the background on the Himedia Q5 (it does not affect video performance at all). Then I can back up files from the Himedia Q5 and load in whatever changes I need very fast without all of the USB stick fiddling around... just a suggestionNod.
Thanks ppoulos! I will try that next. Smile
(2015-08-11, 14:32)Skank Wrote: Anyone planning to get the H8?

I've ordered one..

I'll be happy enough playing movies with the external player for now.. I mainly use my box/Kodi for TV anyhow,, Just with the odd movie now and then and it's nice to have the full quality with HD audio when I do..

Fingers crossed for the external wrapper though, I'm going to have a play around with playercorefactory anyway..

I'll let you know how i get on.. :o)
(2015-08-05, 19:23)looun Wrote: from this http://www.futeko.com/products/MP062.php europe seller.

the official page is this
http://www.himediatech.com/h8core.html
NO audio HD

this is chinese version H7 III
http://www.himedia.cn/a/product/jingdian.../1965.html
NO Audio HD

The point is no Hisilicon Soc = no ExpressX engine so not better quality, but i suppose H8 (IV) GPU PowerVR G6110 have better integration with Kodi( also linux driver was unofficial announced ) : auto-switch fps, 23,976 ecc

(2015-08-11, 12:59)Skank Wrote: It seems H8 , 3d iso and hd audio DOES work with himediaplayer in kodi

The chinese link, by translating it, says that the H8 can do passthrough of HD codecs

(2015-08-13, 18:03)MortUK74 Wrote:
(2015-08-11, 14:32)Skank Wrote: Anyone planning to get the H8?

I've ordered one..

I'll be happy enough playing movies with the external player for now.. I mainly use my box/Kodi for TV anyhow,, Just with the odd movie now and then and it's nice to have the full quality with HD audio when I do..

Fingers crossed for the external wrapper though, I'm going to have a play around with playercorefactory anyway..

I'll let you know how i get on.. :o)

Can anyone enlight me about that external wrapper thing?!?
I use Kodi and trak.tv to scrobble my movies/series to facebook and twitter...
With that external wrapper, can trakt still scrobble it ?!

and what about shopping those devices in Europe, any other alternative places beside futeko ??
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HiMedia Q53