Solved ac3 in music library
Hi,

I have a few music DVD's from which I've ripped the ac3 soundtracks. I'm looking for a way to include them in my music library. I've tried putting them in mka containers, but it seems kodi/xbmc doesn't support mka. Any other ideas of how I can get them included in my library? Other containers? I'd rather not re-encode.

Thanks
you say soundtrack so i presume only audio and no video,
so why not convert to flac or mp3 what ever you prefer
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2014-11-02, 11:38)TRaSH Wrote: you say soundtrack so i presume only audio and no video,
so why not convert to flac or mp3 what ever you prefer

Correct. No video. Flac is not a terrible option, but that would increase the file size which seems a bit silly. As the ac3 is already lossy, I don't want to re-encode to mp3 and lose even more quality. mka would be ideal...if it would work.
well you said it doesn't work,
so if you want it working you need to use something what's supported
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
AC3 can be wrapped in a m4a container. Have you tried that ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I knew it could go as an additional audio track in mp4, but wasn't aware it could go in m4a. Any suggestions on how to do it?
My fork notspiff@kodi-cmake has mka support if someone wants to submit to mainline.
Thanks to black_eagle this is solved. Turns out you can put ac3 in an m4a container and xbmc handles it perfectly. I used ffmpeg to remux my mka files to m4a using this command:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mka -acodec copy output.m4a

Very simple and worked like a charm. Only minor issue is that not all the tag info came across to the mp4 files, but that's no biggy.

A bit more research and it seems according to this mka is supported, but as far as I can tell, it can be played, but the tags aren't parsed and it's not imported into the music library. Seems a fairly significant oversight to me.

@ironic_monkey I would love it if that could be included in helix.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ac3 in music library0