• 8(current)
Fire TV Stick -- Video Quality
(2014-12-01, 15:33)lowridin_guy Wrote: What size TV are you using?

I have an OUYA, Raspi, MiniX Android box and now a FireTV stick. Picture quality is the same on all units exept for the stick. It's not that the image quality is absolutely terrible, but it looks like there is a filter applied making the image not as bright/crisp and it appears faded or blurry.

I have a 55in
(2014-12-03, 18:36)harrybuckman Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 17:28)lowridin_guy Wrote: Thanks for the info!

I'll have to read up on how to enable the external player and have it point to the Amazon player.

Of course if someone could post the already configured .xml file that would be great as well!! Smile

I will post mine once I do it. Most likely won't be untill tomorrow.

Patiently waiting Big Grin
(2014-12-11, 00:52)tinnyskillz Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 18:36)harrybuckman Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 17:28)lowridin_guy Wrote: Thanks for the info!

I'll have to read up on how to enable the external player and have it point to the Amazon player.

Of course if someone could post the already configured .xml file that would be great as well!! Smile

I will post mine once I do it. Most likely won't be untill tomorrow.

Patiently waiting Big Grin

Never had any luck getting the amazon player to work yet. Still trying to come up with a solution.
There's a useful test video here, which will show if you have a blurriness issue.
Wondering if a bug report has been submitted for this yet? It seems that there is an issue with the codec.
Should we cross our fingers with the upcoming FireTV stick new firmware? http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-re...-54-1-0-2/
(2014-12-17, 18:08)baruchin Wrote: Should we cross our fingers with the upcoming FireTV stick new firmware? http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-re...-54-1-0-2/

I just updated and it does appear,comparing Kodi playback to MX Player, that there may be some improvement.

I am using the Stick on a 720p TV, so it might be just due to that, however, even on the same TV before the update I did notice a difference in quality between Kodi and MXP.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
That is great news. I will have to do some comparision tests when I get home tonight.
I just tried the fire stick update. I'm using kodi 14 rc3 with a 55" 1080p TV. I can confirm that popcornmix's test file (which was previously showing scaling problems) is now showing correctly. At least it is the same as my raspberry pi output.

I left both hardware decoding methods selected. Now I will test some 720p content.

edit:
I have tested several 720p files, a few full blu-ray mkv rips with AC3 and DTS passthrough and I don't notice anything strange so far.
Really? This would be awesome. I still don't receive the update. Can't hardly wait.
(2014-12-17, 22:56)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-12-17, 18:08)baruchin Wrote: Should we cross our fingers with the upcoming FireTV stick new firmware? http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-re...-54-1-0-2/

I just updated and it does appear,comparing Kodi playback to MX Player, that there may be some improvement.

I am using the Stick on a 720p TV, so it might be just due to that, however, even on the same TV before the update I did notice a difference in quality between Kodi and MXP.

My stick is not showing the update. How did you get the update to install?

(2014-12-17, 23:37)averylinden Wrote: I just tried the fire stick update. I'm using kodi 14 rc3 with a 55" 1080p TV. I can confirm that popcornmix's test file (which was previously showing scaling problems) is now showing correctly. At least it is the same as my raspberry pi output.

I left both hardware decoding methods selected. Now I will test some 720p content.

edit:
I have tested several 720p files, a few full blu-ray mkv rips with AC3 and DTS passthrough and I don't notice anything strange so far.

My stick is not showing the update. How did you get the update to install?
(2014-12-18, 16:02)heyya Wrote: My stick is not showing the update. How did you get the update to install?

I went to settings->system->about and did a manual update. I'm on 54.1.0.2-102018720.
(2014-12-18, 16:18)averylinden Wrote:
(2014-12-18, 16:02)heyya Wrote: My stick is not showing the update. How did you get the update to install?

I went to settings->system->about and did a manual update. I'm on 54.1.0.2-102018720.

I guess they roll out either in regions or by device ID because it was not working for me last night. I will try again tonight. Thanks for replying.
I just checked and the update is available for mine, downloading it now.
Going by previous updates for the Stick and it's big brother AFTV, Amazon releases the updates in batches.

If you can't update now, it may be hours, days or weeks before you are able to. Just keep trying, it will eventually update.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV Stick -- Video Quality0