Win Helix RC 3 - install malfunction (direct x error)
Exclamation 
I am a pc tech of 20 years.

LOVE KODI!

I place Kodi on an average of 5 machines per week... all various models.

Machine Specs where Kodi RC 3 failed:

HP 8000 Elite Pro
Intel Core2 Duo 3.0 GHz (e8400 CPU)
WD Velociraptor 10,000 rpm Hard Drive
2 GB DDR3 HP approved RAM
Win 7 Pro x64

Description of Problem

I already tested RC 2 on this model of system without any errors
Today, I took a clean system and tried to install RC 3
After most of the install completed, I get an error window
This window claims that Direct X did not install properly, to go find it on the MS web site
I next uninstalled RC 3
I then installed RC 2 and everything worked fine.

THIS IS A SERIOUS BUG[/size] and THE BUG LOG is not engaged

Thanks

Robert
Personally, I always unselect the DirectX and VisualC runtime update options in the windows installer. I did see that Kodi/Helix needs a newer version (2013) of the VC++ runtime than I had installed on Win 7, but I don't think there ever was a problem with DirectX on Win 7 or newer. The installer just runs dxsetup.exe and I think all it really needs is d3dx9_43.dll on your system SYSWOW64 and you're good. In fact now that support for Win XP is dropped I wonder if that is even needed in the installer?

scott s.
Thanks for the fast attention to my post. ---- And yes, I did see a message asking for d3dx9_43.dll But in my case, I am using Win 7 x64... not XP...not 32 bit Win 7... and this does NOT happen on Kodi RC 2 (on the very same system.) Core2 Duo running Win 7 x64 is very common machine and comprises a majority of users. I have no idea how to report this to the main crew, other than this forum. Any suggestions?
I have add the same issue, tried installing Helix RC3 on Windows 8.1. Got error saying "DirectX" install failed and then Kodi won't run as complains about the above missing DLL. Not found a fix yet and I don't have RC2 to try.
HTPC: Kodi on Windows 10 | Intel i3 540 with Noctua NH-U9B Cooler | 2x2Gb RAM | Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 | Silverstone LC17B Case | Antec PSU | Samsung SSD for OS | 2x2TB Samsung for Media + 3TB WD
TV: Panasonic 55" Plasma
Had same issue with windows 8.1 fully updated

Ok so when I tried to install Kodi (download: kodi-14.0-Helix_rc3) during the install the directx radio button was grayed out. Didnt think anything of it and went ahead with the install. Install failed with an error that the directx runtime didnt install. When trying to run Kodi I get an error about directx 9c not installed. Tried installing that and of course get an error about incompatible OS.

So.. I found this download labeled "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" the install took several minutes. During which it states its installing runtimes from 2006,2007,2008...

After install the web installer I tried the Kodi (download kodi-14.0-Helix_rc3) again. this time the directx was not grayed out and I could deselect it if I wanted. I didnt and continued with the install.

Install when through without a hitch and I then ran Kodi with no issues. To include running through many features and installing several add-ons
I wonder if just the RC3 some how got borked. In no way have we changed or even touched that part of the installer. We just ship default Microsoft stuff without alterations
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I am honored Martijin is peeking at our humble thread!!

All rise and bow to the King!:: LOL

Thanks Vikk for the workaround. Super great of you to share that. And at some level, I already suspected I could have tried what you tried..

But for what purpose? Any software program should grant the user it will at least install properly out of the box.

As a pc builder of 20 years, I insist it is worth learning what is triggering this elusive problem..

- Why does RC 2 install flawlessly on different computers models that I sell to my clients,, whereas RC 3 is a nightmare?
- Why did this same issue appear on one Alpha build.. then go away on subsequent builds until it came back this one?

My concern is that if the final build inherits THIS issue... then as users worldwide upgrade, we stand to lose our non-sophisticated users to the Plex platform..
(note: Plex is advertised everywhere, whereas I learned about XBMC from a pc expert)

Finally, is there a newer version of the executable for installing Direct X? (MS seems to be patching everything these days, if you noticed)
It might have left behind C:\windows\logs\directx.log if so might offer some clues.

scott s.
Hey Scott,

Now that I downloaded the Direct X install kit (from the link Vikk provided)... I might be more emboldened to try it again.. and then look for the directx.log you are suggesting.

I will report back in a couple days.. mind you, using the same computer model that gave me the original issue.
Hello Martijin

I just did an extensive retest of a FRESH install of Windows 7 x64 on an identical hardware system.

1- before I got started, I did all MS updates

2- I did a system search for both C:\windows\logs\directx.log and d3dx9_43.dll

3- these files were NOT found

4- I re-downloaded Kodi RC 3

5- I installed the program

6- the error message showed after install and suggested I visit MS for the dll

7- I then ran Kodi, I got the same message

8- I visited the newly installed directx.log and found this in the log

12/17/14 13:32:16: DXSetup: CommandLine: /silent
12/17/14 13:32:16: DXSetup: WinMain(): LoadLibrary() failed, error = 193.

9- I installed the DirectX update from MS

10- Kodi RC 3 then runs as it should
And no one so far tried a later nightly build of course
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I am terrified of trying a nightly build..

are you suggesting/nudging me to try this? LOL

(.. and another problem is that I just sold out of the machines that were getting the issues.)
deleted
Hey guys (my first post in this forum). I had the same problem saying, that DirectX is not installed. So I followed the advice to try a nightly. I grabbed KodiSetup-20141218-6a91fe6-master.exe. This time, no problems starting Kodi. Thanks
(2014-12-19, 13:09)Graphity Wrote: Hey guys (my first post in this forum). I had the same problem saying, that DirectX is not installed. So I followed the advice to try a nightly. I grabbed KodiSetup-20141218-6a91fe6-master.exe. This time, no problems starting Kodi. Thanks

That build is Kodi 15/I--- (pre-alpha). Assuming you are more interested in Helix, look for builds with "-Helix.exe" in the filename.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Helix RC 3 - install malfunction (direct x error)1