Do Powerline of Ethernet Adapters Work
Devolo may have proprietary features but these come from the Atheros chipset which is pretty much the "standard" where Homeplug is concerned. Devolo calls this feature Range+ and tries to give the impression it's their own technology, when every other vendor refers to it as SmartLink, which is the Atheros given name.

There's really nothing particularly special about Devolo gear, apart from the inflated prices they charge and fancy marketing. Shop around and you're guaranteed to find equivalent if not better specified AV1/AV2 kit for half the price Devolo will try to charge you.

I've nothing against Devolo, just saying all this kit is based on basically the same fundamental design and chipset so don't be fooled into paying top dollar by fancy advertising.

Though you're right to be wary of the PHY as that's often a cost saving bottleneck, so check the specs thoroughly but I would hope AV2 will be universally GigE. AV1 up to 500/600 initially started out with the GigE support in the Atheros AR7400 chipset, followed later by the introduction of a cost-reduced AR7420 chipset which reduced PHY to fast Ethernet (so avoid AR7420-based products like the plague). Maybe the same will happen with AV2 and the Atheros QCA7500 chipset, but I hope not.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I've been using powerline adapters for years. My experience is that they work pretty well. I have not had any deterioration happening.

Some points of interest:
- Do not use extension cords with them, as the manual state they should go directly into the plug.
- Having a modern switchboard greatly helps.
- The more sets of powerline adapters you use, the shittier the connection on all of them becomes.
There was very little reason to include gigabit ports on early Homeplug devices because the homeplug-homeplug communication was always the bottleneck.

AV500 was where it started to become borderline - some Atheros AR7400 users experienced more than 100Mbps throughput but most many experienced below 100Mbps throughput anyway so the cost saving 10/100 AR7420 was perfectly logical. It's wrong to say "avoid AR7420 like the plague" because they can be bought for as low as £15 a set and for many people the performance is fundamentally the same (or very close) a £40 AR7400 set.

With AV2 600Mbps (really SISO-500 profile) and beyond, everything I have seen has a gigabit port.
I achieve 135Mbps actual throughput (iperf) between a pair of AV-500 (AR7400). I could have saved a few pounds and bought AR7420-based Homeplugs but been bottlenecked by the PHY, so unless you're really short of cash (or know you have no hope of exceeding 100Mbps actual throughput) then I'd always recommend against AR7420-based devices.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I 'slightly' disagree with Millhouse but only based on the O/P original post.

It is about user ability? I think that this thread has descended into really complicated tech discussion whereas I think GAMER101 just wanted to know if they would work?

The simple answer. YES. See no problem. One plugged into your mains circuit near your router and then plugged into router via simple RJ45 connector cable.

Depends what you would like the 'other end' connection to do? Just wifi? Or provide a couple of extra RJ45 connections too for other gear?

YES all based on same standards BUT I think devolo still rock for customer support and the simple cockpit interface which allows for firmware upgrades etc. Not sure about the other products. There is a lot of crap out there.

Once again all on experience level. Millhouse speaks as an expert on an expert level!!!

For further reading, if not bored yet! Millhouse speaks of PHY:

http://www.homeplug.org/tech-resources/green-phy-iot/

Solwise are pretty honest about their products:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/learningcentre/...ame-thing/

I would do some reading and just take the plunge. It really does work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do Powerline of Ethernet Adapters Work0