• 7(current)
Headless Kodi
Hey guys I am very excited about this. I am trying to run Kodi on a windows VM on Xenserver to keep my library up to date for all my systems. I am running into a problem when I try to start up the headless system. It is still telling me that it can't start because a suitable monitor wasn't found. I would think if I am running headless it wouldn't care about the monitor. Any ideas on what might be happening?
Did you start the kodi binary with the "--headless" option? Plus a Windows VM always has a monitor, so that seems kind of a weird message to me....?
Hi everyone,

I installed it in a proxmox virtualisation environment on a HP Proliant server on ubuntu 14.04 LTS - so far it works great.

Just a quick question: Is it possible that it's impossible to turn off debugging in the log?

Maybe because it says "Using Debug Kodi x64 build"?

I tried different logging levels in the advancedsettings.xml (which otherwise is read, because I can scrape to mysql and such). The log also states:

19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>-1</loglevel>

( ... )

</advancedsettings>
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL"
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level -1.
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NONE"
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 DEBUG: CPlayerCoreConfig::<ctor>: created player DVDPlayer for core 1

And as you can see, the last line is the first that has DEBUG information, that I don't want to see anymore.
Any ideas?
(2015-02-04, 20:35)Tad_Dancer Wrote: Hi everyone,

I installed it in a proxmox virtualisation environment on a HP Proliant server on ubuntu 14.04 LTS - so far it works great.

Just a quick question: Is it possible that it's impossible to turn off debugging in the log?

Maybe because it says "Using Debug Kodi x64 build"?

I tried different logging levels in the advancedsettings.xml (which otherwise is read, because I can scrape to mysql and such). The log also states:

19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>-1</loglevel>

( ... )

</advancedsettings>
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL"
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level -1.
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NONE"
19:27:17 T:140411399288768 DEBUG: CPlayerCoreConfig::<ctor>: created player DVDPlayer for core 1

And as you can see, the last line is the first that has DEBUG information, that I don't want to see anymore.
Any ideas?

not sure if this is the best solution, but during the configure stage prior to the compile use this option

Code:
--disable-debug
Hmm yeah - I still might need the debug at some other point, so I wish I could change the setting.

Thanks though.
(2015-02-04, 20:45)Tad_Dancer Wrote: Hmm yeah - I still might need the debug at some other point, so I wish I could change the setting.

Thanks though.

Log levels here via advancedsettings.xml
Yes, but that's my point - whatever I set in advancedsettings.xml doesnt have any effect on the logging. It always gives full debug logging, regardless of what I configure in the xml.
try this.

Code:
<loglevel hide="true">0</loglevel>
Same behaviour..
(2015-02-04, 20:59)Tad_Dancer Wrote: Same behaviour..

from that link earlier.

If debugging is switched on in the GUI, loglevel will be set to 2 (log to both file and on-screen information); this will over-ride any advancedsettings.xml setting.
find this stanza in guisettings.xml and adjust accordingly.

Code:
<debug>
        <extralogging default="true">false</extralogging>
        <screenshotpath default="true"></screenshotpath>
        <setextraloglevel default="true"></setextraloglevel>
        <showloginfo default="true">false</showloginfo>
    </debug>
if you compile with --enable-debug(the default), then debug logging is always enabled. use --disable-debug, then you enable/disable it via settings
For people in this thread though, if you want help you must have debug enabled. Anything without it will be ignored/removed Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Just installed this! Nice to have a tree that is maintained and just works! Thanks @topfs2

I noticed it complained about libcrystalhd missing when I started it up, not sure if it has something to with this version or with remnants of a previous 13.2 headless build I had running. installing the lib got it work, but thought it be worth a metion.

Code:
/usr/local/lib/kodi/kodi.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libcrystalhd.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-crystalhd, --disable-vdadecoder, --disable-libmp3lame, --disable-libvorbisenc, --disable-hal

Since CrystalHD support was dropped from Helix not sure what is going on ..

Code:
ldd kodi.bin

http://paste.ubuntu.com/10093758/
Is there an init script that can be used with kodi?
I guess I should rather invoke kodi-standalone than kodi?

Edit:
I'm getting this error on Ubuntu Server 14.04.01 LTS when I run it with --headless -p -n:

Quote:Can't open display
Failed to create secure directory (/run/user/1000/pulse): Permission denied
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

Funny thing is that the user 1000 isn't the guid of the user I'm running kodi as. Why does it try to access that folder?
Also, pulseaudio isn't even installed. On a development VM it ran fine, also without pulseaudio. Any clues?

edit2:
Also I'm having problems for kodi to pickup the guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml correctly. When run in portable mode (-p) it should be in the portable_date/userdata folder in the kodi folder structure somewhere. The structure gets created, but the settings in those XML files are ignored.
Any clues?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Headless Kodi5