Distinct audio quality difference between XBMC/Kodi and UPNP/DLNA
I've had a sound quality question for a long time - can't quite figure out why the difference.

My setup - Old Acer Aspire Revo as HTPC (yes - I need something new) running XBMCBUNTU Gotham. Connected via HDMI to Denon receiver -> Speakers + TV. Movie and TV audio is perfect and of excellent quality, but my problem arises with music playback. XBMC audio from my library plays fine and sounds decent when piped from Revo to receiver via HDMI. But when I use UPNP (Bubble) via my phone to stream from same library directly to the Denon, WOW - sound is startlingly better. There is no comparison to be made - the UPNP stream blows the XBMC audio out of the water. My confusion is this: Doesn't HDMI send uncompressed digital audio directly to the receiver? Shouldn't what arrives at the receiver via XBMC or via DLNA essentially be the exact same thing? Why is there such a huge difference in quality? The receiver is doing the digital to analog in both cases right? Or am I missing something fundamental in the audio transfer? Is the Revo the weak link? I would just use the DLNA all the time, but then I don't have all the pretty pictures that I worked so hard on - and really, that's why we all spend so much time getting the library right in the first place.
Did you ever get a response to your question ? I have the same experience - using Kodi on a Mac Mini vs DLNA through my Onkyo NR609.
Kodi sends the data as-is to the UPnP target. It does not alter the data at all. I don't know why you are hearing a difference.
I think he is saying that audio on Kodi played via HDMI is inferior to audio played directly to the receiver via a DLNA server. It could be something in the hardware or OS that is preventing bit-perfect or is introducing a large amount of jitter. HDMI can have a fair amount of jitter, and is typically not considered "audiophile". Outputting to an asynchronous USB DAC would generally be better.

Also, it could just be that the volume control on Kodi is set to less than 100%.
Ah, sorry, read that wrong.
(2015-04-28, 00:10)pcdude Wrote: Also, it could just be that the volume control on Kodi is set to less than 100%.

Yes, look at that. Any of that volume amplification effect will seriously degrade fidelity.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Distinct audio quality difference between XBMC/Kodi and UPNP/DLNA0