Kodi installed on an SSD? Good idea or no?
Would you recommend this? I don't mean so much Kodi itself, but the cache. Ive never owned a SSD before but Ive read that it has a limit on reads/writes.
Kodi uses allot of R/W in its cache, especially if you have a huge library, so I was wondering....

Do you think this is a good idea and do you think it could affect the lifespan of an SSD? I know this question may seem stupid to people familiar with SSD drives, but all I know about them is what Ive read (my new gaming laptop should arrive tomorrow!!)

Or is this a non issue?

Thanks for any advice.
My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
SSDs are, for most purposes, better than HDDs for OS and program installations, so yes, use an SSD rather than a HDD. Don't worry about the limited writes thing, it is overblown as an issue. If your laptop already has an SSD, then you really don't have a choice anyhow.
don't waste your time worrying about read and writes. just use it like you would any other hard drive.
I only drive my Kodi with an SSD and it really rocks and is much more fast than a HD [WINKING FACE]
OK, thanks for the advice, just wanted to be sure Smile
My Madnox Mods | Nox Version Guide
---------------------------------------------------------------
Movie Logo Requests | Studio Logo Requests
Logo's Made So Far:
I echo the thoughts of the other posters. SSD is the way to go!

The thing about read/writes is widely misunderstood. Reading the drive should never affect it's life. But you can only write to each cell in the memory array so many times before the cells burn out, but the thing is, the firmware on the drive keeps track of how many times each cell is written to, and doesn't rewrite it until all of the other cells have been written to, even if you delete that cell's data. This equalizes the wear and maximizes drive life. All drives and manufacturers vary somewhat, but I believe on average each cell can be written to about 3000 times.

So even writing billions of tiny 100 to 500kb job files isn't going to hurt drive life, because you have to entirely fill the drive 3000x to kill it. But in that regard, you can see why a SSD is not a good idea as a download drive for a large amount of throughput of large files.

Anandtech did a great review of the Samsung EVO 840 drives and explained this in more detail, their lifespan estimates even for ridiculous transfer amounts of 50gb per day every day ranged from 8 years for the smallest 120gb drive to 63 years for the 1tb.

Yku can read their excellent article here;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsu...els-tested

Cheers
TRJB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi installed on an SSD? Good idea or no?0