Scraping a BIG library?
(2014-12-30, 18:32)Sagiigi340 Wrote:
(2014-12-30, 18:16)kuldan Wrote: Well, just to be honest - Kodi is meant to be used with a local library (local as in "in your House") - FTP is wildly inefficient for this task, especially if used over the Internet...

Do you have a recommendation for another protocol? I assume Samba would do better but I cannot use that since the RPi's are connected to different LANs

Well, honestly, no..., or "it depends" - I tried this with a shared libary once, and made every kodi box for that setup VPN (openVPN) into the NAS/Server - and could use SMB after that.
(Another upside was that I could install a shared MySQL Library on that NAS as well, so keeping the Library synced was not a problem anymore either.)

BUT - You have to have a fast upload for this. I tried it using my 5mbit/10mbit connections, and that was far too slow to do anything usable with it - a bit of SD TV streaming worked, but that's about it.
If you have your shared library on the Internet on a hosted server with a 100/1000Meg Upload to the internet, using OpenVPN to connect (or anything else in that kind of setup) might work - but I guess the
RasPI is just too slow for that as well ( I have x86 KodiBuntu Boxes everywhere).

Another upside from using a mySQL database with Kodi is that I can do the library updates from my (very fast) Desktop PC with a nice mouse and keyboard to fix eventual errors in the scraper etc, and make the
experience on the living room/bedroom Kodi boxes fully transparent for my Wife, so the WAF (women-acceptance-factor) in my home for this kind of system is very high..especially after I switched over to Harmony
remote control (Smart Control in the living room, 750 in the bedroom) setups that make it easy for her to turn everything on/off as desired. But I'm derailing...
I never had problems scraping the files (3k of files are not that much).
After one night all is done.

But if you try to scrape through an internet connection, you have to take a look at your upload speed.
Usualy thecupload is very slow (e.g. 10 times slower then the download speed).

Maybe you are able to scrape on the remote server?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scraping a BIG library?0