Cache settings? to prevent buffering on slow connections.
On a Fire TV, I have tried to set the buffer to different settings and I have come to understand that if you set the advancedsettings.xml settings

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor> I have tried 1 all the way up to 100000 and it is still the same amount video precached when play a video from an http:// source

With cachemembuffersize set to 0 the cache will be on the disk rather than keeping it in the memory, and I thought that it could cache a video up to the amount of free space on the disk. When I play the video and pause it, kodi will cache about 2-3% of video past the point it is at and then it will stop. I know it stops because I have a montitor showing the speed of each internet connection and it completely stops with a very small amount of video in cache. Is there a way to make kodi continue to download the video until the end if space permits so that away if the stream connection is slow I would be able to pause the video cache to build so i can watch it at a point that the cache is built up enough that i do not have to worry about it stopping to buffer every couple minutes due to the slow connection.

Any help would be great if there is way to set an amount of video to cache when it written to disk that would be great. I would like to set it to like 2-2.5 GB so no matter what I am watching if I give a few minutes to build on a slow connection i will be able to watch uninterrupted from buffering.

I am trying to watch the interview on youtube, it played fine for the first half of the movie but during the second half, every couple minutes it buffers.

Thank You
How much free space do you have on the Fire TV?
(2014-12-31, 11:16)Ned Scott Wrote: How much free space do you have on the Fire TV?

3.5GB
That means you'll only have about 1GB of actual video being cached, due to the way Kodi caches video, IIRC.
(2014-12-31, 13:12)Ned Scott Wrote: That means you'll only have about 1GB of actual video being cached, due to the way Kodi caches video, IIRC.

It is not caching anywhere near 1GB, it is only caching a minute or two of video. I watch the speed and it will download at around 0.3-0.6Mbps for 20-30 seconds at most and stop.
Can you get us a debug log (wiki)?
(2015-01-01, 01:56)Ned Scott Wrote: Can you get us a debug log (wiki)?

OK I will get you a log but first I need to get fire tv back to the state it was in to replicate what was happening and I will try again, I have since downloaded games and other stuff and disk space at down to about 2.2 Gb... I will post it asap, likely tomorrow.

The speeds i posted for the cache building earlier may not have been accurate as that was through my wifi hotspot which gets 30Mbps and the buffring issue came when connected to dsl which is supposed to get up to 7Mbps but in real world performance it seems to max out at 0.7-1.0Mbps.

Also is there any way to edit an internal so Kodi will try to cache more than 1Gb per 3.5Gb of free space?

Thanks
I don't know why but now it is working fine, I am not sure if the advanced settings were not being set and activated correctly or what because i can not replicate what was happening no matter what i do. I even hooked the firetv up to a very slow dsl connection and it still cached the video just fine. I also changed the the fire tv remote control profile to preset number #3 in fire tv tools and when the on screen display on is on the screen and I press the menu button it shows information about the cpu usage and video format and it shows the cache that has built up and when i pause the video i have seen it build up just under 1GB and it may have been more but I didn't let build up any longer as it was fixed. I have the setting to cache to disk at 0, and readbufferfactor set 100

Thank You for the help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cache settings? to prevent buffering on slow connections.0