Bug KODI is too slow on huge lists of songs Part II
(2016-03-23, 13:21)DaveBlake Wrote: All ways of using Kodi are good, Ned. But not sure what the uses are for a "Dogs attacking children" sound effect, and I don't think I want to know Smile

More uses for the songs node (and reasons not to remove it) are discussed here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264647

All the problems that the songs node may have, especially on larger libraries, equally apply to large smart playlists. IMO songs node viewing of every song makes sense even if there are lots and it is slow. What I have doubts about is if there really is a user desire to play more than a certain number. Do people really set a playlist going that could last a week or more? If they do would not a "I'm playing everything in x order and got to item y" be better approach.

But such functionality would still need a fundamental redesign of current playlist management. That is a hard change to even comtemplate.

This I think is what I've wanted for a long time. For Christmas season I like to run through all my Christmas albums, not at random. But when I shut down, I would like to be able to pick up where I left off next time. I don't see any way to do this with smart playlists, so the best I could do was create an album playlist with albums random ordering, but that doesn't ensure I get through the whole library. I think I could do it with a python script, but that seems to require a deterministic ordering so the position in the playlist would remain static. To do that I would have to create an m3u playlist but Kodi only allows ascii in m3u (even though it is happy reading playlists in utf-8) which makes it a non-starter for me (I do have Other Software that will write utf-8 to playlists but that's kind of a PITA -- would prefer an "in-Kodi" solution).

but I do have many smart playlists mainly genre-based that I play in Party-mode.

scott s.

Messages In This Thread
RE: KODI useless on large music libraries Part II - by scott967 - 2016-03-23, 22:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI is too slow on huge lists of songs Part II0