Does Kodi need write access on shared drives?
I have Kodi setup on a Lubuntu box using MySQL for the video database.
My Media is on an SMB share with read only.
I separately manage .nfo & artwork using sickbeard & Media Manager.

For Kodi to operate fluidly, will it still need write access to the media folders? What else would it be writing if so?

Kodi does still work right now, so that's not an issue, but it feels like it's taking longer now to start playing and browsing media than it did before I moved my media onto the smb readonly share.
No, kodi only needs write access if you want to export art/watch status/nfo updates that are made/scanned/edited in the kodi db. being read only vs read/write shouldnt have an effect on network access speed. do you notice a slowdown moving from a read/write smb share to read only smb? or did you have the media locally before?
the slowdown was noticed moving from a read/write smb share to a read only smb share.

Regarding your note about nfo updates. If there's a .nfo file present already for a media file, but the media file is not yet within Kodi's db. Will Kodi just read the .nfo without tyring to update it?
Is this the same case if there happens to be an attribute missing from the .nfo file that Kodi is looking for?

I'm going to do some comparison of read vs read/write tonight, just mainly seeing if I had wrong assumptions going into it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi need write access on shared drives?0