Announcing new skin, AppTV (xTV-SAF reboot)
Ok guys, sorry about the delay. I will try to mention some of the major changes to the skin for version 1.6.4 and some of the concequences of the changes (rest assured not many are negative)

Change from Skin Helper script to Emburary Helper script.

Due to the author of the Skin Helper script stepping back from Kodi, the script is no longer under active maintenance (one or two users have posted patches, but no one has stepped up to be responsible for maintenance).
With the upcomming change for Kodi to use Python 3 instead of Python 2, Skin Helper script will no longer work unless a number of changes are made (pretty sure at this stage it's not going to happen). As a result I have made the decision to change to using Emburary Skin Helper script instead. So what are the pros and cons of this decision?

Pros
  • Emburary Helper is under active development, so breakages of the script and thus my skin should be sorted quickly
  • Does not have the baggage that Skin Helper script has, so is generally quicker and less of a drag on Kodi

Cons
  • Embuary Helper does NOT have a way to transparently handle Animated graphics (posters and backgrounds). Skin Helper got around a Kodi shortcomming that only local animated graphics could be used (can show animated graphics from local storage on you Kodi box, but not from a network location). The solution that users will need to use if they want to use animated graphics is to ensure graphic files are stored locally and make sure that Kodi database points to the locally file for an item.
  • Embuary Helper does NOT have a number of functions that Skin Helper does and so there have been a number of features that have been dropped from this version of the skin. One feature was the backup and restore of skin settings. I'm not sure if many people made use of this and I also believe this feature was a little buggy, so not a major loss. Also the functions to use Extended Info scripts on the Info screens has been removed. This will return in a future release of this skin when I get a chance to code the required custom info screen code.

So mostly this change has been for the better. If you think there is something missing due to this change that really needs to come back, leave a note in this sub forum and I will endevour to code a solution.

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV

Messages In This Thread
How i add submenus - by rouchi - 2020-04-23, 19:31
RE: Announcing new skin, AppTV (xTV-SAF reboot) - by wyrm - 2020-09-25, 08:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Announcing new skin, AppTV (xTV-SAF reboot)1