Kodi crashes a lot
Music 
Is Kodi known to be unstable on the atv2? My media server is a mac mini, and I can access it quite painlessly from my atv2 using apple home sharing with the stock interface (the green Computer icon) with iTunes serving up the content from the mini (running Mavericks).

I jailbroke an atv2 with firecore and installed Kodi 14 on Jan 7, so 4 days ago. Since then, I count 32 crash log files in /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter. Most of them implicate LanguageInvoker. Kodi has crashed (screen goes black with spinning white thing, then Frontrow appears, another plist crashlog shows up in CrashReporter dir) while playing mp4 video and during attempted "scan music to library" of the source added with uPnP. I gave up on trying to access my music library. The stock Frontrow interface using apple home sharing works flawlessly to play music, and life is short.

I was serving the music library using MediaBrowser on the mini. The same MediaBrowser instance interfaces fine with a sony playstation 3 using DLNA to access the server. Kodi crashes during the inital scan, as I said, then it cannot play any songs via uPnP. Navigating to a song and clicking on it throws the "see error log" message. Viewing the log (/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/kodi.log) there was an error about the codec failing. This is an mp3 source file that any smart device in existence can probably play. I am able to play music by adding my organized, tagged top level music folder as an http source (the mini has apache2 running).

I would create a bug report, but I balked when I saw the multiple warnings on the howto page. I've got 32 files named like AppleTV_2015-01-08-211015_Apple-TV.plist, and I'd be happy to share them with curious bug squashers.
Kodi is quite unstable on ATV2. Between v12 and v13 the amount of RAM the program uses increased a little bit, and the ATV2 only has 256MB of RAM to slit between Kodi and other processes running.
I downgraded to 12.3 Frodo and, so far, things are working smoothly with no crashes. Music is playing from the MediaBrowser share. I disabled the music visualizer, and the standard skin is running (confluence).

My advice to the adventurous would be to avoid Kodi 14 on the atv2 device due to hardware limitations on the platform. Use a lightweight skin, and check system info to keep an eye on free memory and resource usage.

I would add a request to maintainers of the Kodi download archives to keep a copy of org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.3-0_iphoneos-arm.deb in the archives for atv2 owners.
I second keybmat8's request. I plan on reverting back to frodo or Gotham as well. Too many crashes likely due to low memory.
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield
12.3 will not leave our servers - thats sure ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Addendum: I have found that I can induce a crash in 12.3 by attempting to index my music library with "scan to library." No doubt it runs out of memory. The source is the MediaBrowser backend on my mini accessed by browsing with uPnP. It has also crashed at least once when streaming video. The only stable skin I have found is confluence.

In comparison to MediaBrowser on the backend, NFS seems to work fine. I wish I had known to use NFS before starting to play around with kodi/xbmc. Much better than http and uPnP on the atv2.
I'm trying to downgrade from Kodi 14.0 to XBMC 12.3, based on the information above - to deal with the constant crashing on my ATV2.

I followed section 5.1 of the wiki to uninstall Kodi and it has disappeared from the ATV2 menu.

I then followed section4 to install the v.12.3 but am having problems at the dpkg step, the error message is:

"
dpkg: error processing *kodi*.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
*kodi*.deb
"

I'm so frustrated with Kodi's constant crashing, and now can't work out what to do to install this old version of XBMC that is supposedly more stable on the ATV2.

Can anyone help me please with the step-by-step instruction to install the v12.3. Thanks.
Main TV: LibreELEC 7.0.1 / Kodi 16.1, with Xonfluence skin on Asus Chromebox (1.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, 64Gb SSD) + DVB-S and DVB-T with TVH.
Plus testing v17 nighlies on Macbook, and using Estuary skin.
Just updated: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...di_to_XBMC
FWIW, I am finding -- to my delight -- just the opposite: KODI seems more stable on my Apple TV.

My experience with KODI is only 24 hours old so I will withhold final judgement, but my current results are encouraging.

Whereas I could rarely enter the XBMC program on my Apple TV running 13.2 or 12.3 without crashing back to the Apple TV desktop, I have YET to have this happen once running KODI. In this regard, my Apple TV is behaving more like my FIRE TV.

My ATV running KODI is still challenged when trying to play HD links, but no worse than with 12.3 which I have found to be the best current choice.

Have others had similar success running KODI on the ATV 2?
(2015-01-23, 09:01)Ned Scott Wrote: Just updated: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...di_to_XBMC

Many thanks Ned, it installed no problem. :-)

I've added TV Shows and Movies to my library successfully, but there is nothing at all showing on the homepage 'Recently Added' (in Confluence, the artwork that would normally appear above the menu bar is blank for both Movies and TV Shows). Any idea what might have caused that?
Main TV: LibreELEC 7.0.1 / Kodi 16.1, with Xonfluence skin on Asus Chromebox (1.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, 64Gb SSD) + DVB-S and DVB-T with TVH.
Plus testing v17 nighlies on Macbook, and using Estuary skin.
(2015-01-12, 06:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Kodi is quite unstable on ATV2. Between v12 and v13 the amount of RAM the program uses increased a little bit, and the ATV2 only has 256MB of RAM to slit between Kodi and other processes running.

Not only unstable on ATV, also on iPad Air 2. iPad Air 2 has 2 GB ram. So that theory cant be correct. Kodi seems very unstable. Gotham was very good, what happend?
(2015-01-25, 01:22)hovnarr Wrote:
(2015-01-12, 06:25)Ned Scott Wrote: Kodi is quite unstable on ATV2. Between v12 and v13 the amount of RAM the program uses increased a little bit, and the ATV2 only has 256MB of RAM to slit between Kodi and other processes running.

Not only unstable on ATV, also on iPad Air 2. iPad Air 2 has 2 GB ram. So that theory cant be correct. Kodi seems very unstable. Gotham was very good, what happend?

No, you are having a different problem. v14 runs fine on my iPad 4, iPhone 4, and iPhone 6. There are many reasons something might crash. The ATV2 low-memory crash is definitely a real issue, though.
Hello guys.

Sorry for my English isn't very good, so please forgive me.

I have the Apple Tv 2 firmware 5.2. Yesterday i was messing with the constellation on my iphone because doesn't show me the thumbnails (covers) from the movies.
I don't know what i have done but since then starts the problem. On the apple tv 2 the media player was Xbmc Frodo 12.2. When i was going to play one movie, the apple tv starts to respring.
Try to see another movie but the same problem.
Try to see the movie from Videos-Files-Movies and everything is ok!!!!!
When i try to connect with wi-fi and no ethernet the problem still exists.
I have done the update to Kobi 14 Helix but the problem still there, always resprings.
Any idea??

I don't know if that will help but i found this crash report:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=403987

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=403999 old log
I have an atv2 running helix version of koidi, I cannot get through using it more than 1 or 2 minutes without it crashing, any suggestions or help would be great. I can give a crash log if it helps.
XBMC was a great software.
Kodi is a bunch of bugs...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes a lot0