Cant connect to websockets
All,

I am trying to get notifications from headless kodi instance to then notify all the other head-ed instances to refresh their recently added lists

I am not able to connect using the code.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python

from websocket import create_connection
ws = create_connection("ws://192.168.100.1:9090/jsonrpc")
print "World'..."
ws.send('{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Player.GetActivePlayers", "id": 1}')
print "Sent"
print "Reeiving..."
result =  ws.recv()
print "Received '%s'" % result
ws.close()

The root cause seems to be that kodi.bin isnt' listening on IPV4 IP for that 9090 TCP Port.

Code:
$ sudo netstat -ntlp | grep kodi
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      11444/kodi.bin  
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:36666           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      11444/kodi.bin  
tcp6       0      0 :::9090                 :::*                    LISTEN      11444/kodi.bin  
tcp6       0      0 :::8080                 :::*                    LISTEN      11444/kodi.bin  
tcp6       0      0 :::36666                :::*                    LISTEN      11444/kodi.bin  
tcp6       0      0 :::36667                :::*                    LISTEN      11444/kodi.bin

Any ideas? I am using Kodi 14.1 on Ubuntu 64bit, disabling IPV6 at the OS level helps but I think this a bug?
So by default it creates an IPv6 TCP socket on port 9090?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Isn't the websocket implementation on the TCP server? i.e. the address should be "ws://192.168.100.1:9090", i.e. without /jsonrpc? Perhaps that doesn't matter?
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2015-02-11, 09:08)Montellese Wrote: So by default it creates an IPv6 TCP socket on port 9090?

yes that is what I am observing. unless I disable IPV6 i cannot access on regular ipv4 addresses. This is consistent across systems, I have another crystalbuntu and I see the same behaviour on there.
(2015-02-11, 09:28)topfs2 Wrote: Isn't the websocket implementation on the TCP server? i.e. the address should be "ws://192.168.100.1:9090", i.e. without /jsonrpc? Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Tried both, neither work with IPv6 enabled, both work with IPv6 disabled. So I take it that it doesn't matter. The wiki link needs to be updated if this is the case.

http://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API#WebSocket

Also the advancedsettings.xml 's disableipv6 was dropped somewhere along the way.
how did you manage to disable ipv6 and have it take?

Code:
tcp6       0      0 :::9090                 :::*                    LISTEN      16904/kodi.bin
tcp6       0      0 :::8080                 :::*                    LISTEN      16904/kodi.bin

What's strange about that is that I always explicitly disable ipv6 system wide (and on my router for lan/wan). My two Kodi HTPC's are ubuntu 14.04LTS, so the method to disable ipv6 is to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following lines (you then have to reload or reboot but anyway):

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

I can confirm that it's "taken effect" by running cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6 which returns "1" meaning it's been disabled. In both cases if I do ifconfig I don't see any ipv6 addresses.

Like you I had the disableipv6 directives in advancedsettings.xml but obviously those are either deprecated or not being obeyed.
quick update, looks like the only real way to disable ipv6 is to add it to the grub options.

your PC doesn't load /etc/sysctl.conf at boot time (which is the case for me), disabling IPv6 from grub is needed. Linux kernel has a boot option named "ipv6.disable=1" which disables IPv6 from startup.

To edit the boot options, edit "/etc/default/grub" with any text editor as root user:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Find the line that contain "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT":

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Add "ipv6.disable=1" to the boot option, then save your grub file:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 quiet splash"
Finally, update grub:

sudo update-grub
I'm having some trouble with this too. I can connect to Kodi JSON RPC (running on Windows 8.1) via a websocket app in Chrome, but not using the websocket package in Python (running on the same computer as the Chrome app). With Python I get what I assume is the same error as the OP - i.e. Error 10060, the connection timed-out.

I've tried disabling IPv6, but that doesn't seem to help... Any other suggestions what to try?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cant connect to websockets0