Noob question on genre and cast limits
Hello. Just started using EMM 1.3 and I think I'm getting the hang of it except I can't get the genre and cast limits to work. I set the genre limit at 2 and the cast limit set at 5 but when I scrape it's ignoring those limits. Is there some other setting I need besides having those limits entered in the general scraper settings? Right now I have both Ember and TMDB set up as scrapers and if these limits don't work on one or the othen then I'd appreciate knowing which one I should turn off for these items. Thanks.
You can't mix scrapers in 1.3.0.x.
I would use the latest beta or forthcoming beta. It's more stable and works much more better than 1.3.0.20
Thanks Dan. I don't need to mix scrapers necessarily. If I use TMDB only then will the cast and genre limits work in EMM 1.3 or do I still need to update to the latest beta?

I'm only planning to use EMM for metadata btw.
Brilliant - thanks so much, I missed that we could limit the number of fields scraped for genres or cast, and was wondering how I could do this. As I'm not particularly interested in a no-name actor who was "Lunchroom Monitor #3", this will really make it easier to find movies by actors.

Presumably if I limit the cast to 10 actors, it will be the first 10 listed in IMDB, so when IMDB has the cast by order of appearance, rather than how major a role they played, it means I may miss some major actors?

And question - what is the best way to "clear out" the movies I've already scraped, en masse? Unless I'm missing something, "Update Single Data Field" has no option to update just the cast.

Carl
CoreELEC 9.03
Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO
Minix Neo U9-H, Logitech Harmony Elite
Back home now and experimenting with different settings to try to get this to work. TMDB scraper simply doesn't respect the cast or genre limits at all even if it's the only scraper enabled. Ember native scraper does however it doesn't pull cast by top billing. So for example, "12 Angry Men" pulls the actors playing Jurors# 1-5 which leaves out Henry Fonda.

Is this something that works in the latest beta? I'm comfortable with the TMDB scraper otherwise but I'd rather not have to edit ~2000 movies one at a time to get the cast credits down to something I can actually filter and search by. Would appreciate any tips from anyone who has found a solution on this. Thanks.
(2015-02-11, 00:41)Carl314 Wrote: Brilliant - thanks so much, I missed that we could limit the number of fields scraped for genres or cast, and was wondering how I could do this. As I'm not particularly interested in a no-name actor who was "Lunchroom Monitor #3", this will really make it easier to find movies by actors.

Presumably if I limit the cast to 10 actors, it will be the first 10 listed in IMDB, so when IMDB has the cast by order of appearance, rather than how major a role they played, it means I may miss some major actors?

And question - what is the best way to "clear out" the movies I've already scraped, en masse? Unless I'm missing something, "Update Single Data Field" has no option to update just the cast.

Carl

I will try to add "Cast" to the "Update Single Data Field" menu.
But you can already use the "Custom Scraper" at to bottom of the "Scrape Movies" menu in main window. Simply select only "NFO" and "Cast".
(2015-02-11, 05:09)ElJimador Wrote: Back home now and experimenting with different settings to try to get this to work. TMDB scraper simply doesn't respect the cast or genre limits at all even if it's the only scraper enabled. Ember native scraper does however it doesn't pull cast by top billing. So for example, "12 Angry Men" pulls the actors playing Jurors# 1-5 which leaves out Henry Fonda.

Is this something that works in the latest beta? I'm comfortable with the TMDB scraper otherwise but I'd rather not have to edit ~2000 movies one at a time to get the cast credits down to something I can actually filter and search by. Would appreciate any tips from anyone who has found a solution on this. Thanks.

Use the latest beta. Use the "Custom Scraper" to change only "Cast" on every movie.
(2015-02-11, 12:28)DanCooper Wrote: Use the latest beta. Use the "Custom Scraper" to change only "Cast" on every movie.

Thanks Dan. I installed the beta after my post last night and ran a full scan of my movies library overnight without a hitch. I used both TMDB and IMDB for scrapers (TMDB first w/IMDB deselected for cast and genre) and spot checking so far it seems I got the results I wanted.

Question on genres though. I'm trying to edit the Genres Editor under the Miscellaneous settings and I can't get my changes to stick. I want to add Animation as a genre and maybe 1 or 2 others and remove all the genres I don't use so they don't clutter up my choices when I'm trying to edit individual movies. After I click apply though none of the changes are reflected when I try to edit a particular movie and then going back to the Genres Editor they're missing there too and I'm back to the default selections again. Is there some trick to getting my changes to stick?
(2015-02-11, 17:29)ElJimador Wrote:
(2015-02-11, 12:28)DanCooper Wrote: Use the latest beta. Use the "Custom Scraper" to change only "Cast" on every movie.

Thanks Dan. I installed the beta after my post last night and ran a full scan of my movies library overnight without a hitch. I used both TMDB and IMDB for scrapers (TMDB first w/IMDB deselected for cast and genre) and spot checking so far it seems I got the results I wanted.

Question on genres though. I'm trying to edit the Genres Editor under the Miscellaneous settings and I can't get my changes to stick. I want to add Animation as a genre and maybe 1 or 2 others and remove all the genres I don't use so they don't clutter up my choices when I'm trying to edit individual movies. After I click apply though none of the changes are reflected when I try to edit a particular movie and then going back to the Genres Editor they're missing there too and I'm back to the default selections again. Is there some trick to getting my changes to stick?

Don't invest more time to genre filter. We have complete new solution for genres in next beta.
Well this is weird. There's no "Drama" available in genres. I have plenty of movies that scraped with Drama as the genre but trying to edit a different movie to Drama, the choice doesn't exist. How could that be?
(2015-02-11, 17:42)ElJimador Wrote: Well this is weird. There's no "Drama" available in genres. I have plenty of movies that scraped with Drama as the genre but trying to edit a different movie to Drama, the choice doesn't exist. How could that be?

Do you have selected a language for genre filter in Settings -> Movies -> Genre Filter?
(2015-02-11, 18:08)DanCooper Wrote: Do you have selected a language for genre filter in Settings -> Movies -> Genre Filter?

Yes, English. But changing it to All, it still isn't there. There's a Drammatico but no Drama.
(2015-02-11, 17:41)DanCooper Wrote: Don't invest more time to genre filter. We have complete new solution for genres in next beta.

Okay. In that case I'll just focus for now on editing cast and other data and wait till the next beta to tackle genres. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Dan,

You rock - thanks so much for your help - your method above is exactly what I was looking for.

I have sent a donation to show my appreciation for the work you, m.savazzi & Cocotus have done on this great project. As much as I rely on EMM, it's long overdue, and you guys are always there willing to help people with questions.

Cheers, Carl.
CoreELEC 9.03
Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO
Minix Neo U9-H, Logitech Harmony Elite

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob question on genre and cast limits0