• 10(current)
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS?
QuiescentWonder Wrote:I won't delve deeply into the conversation, but this is entirely true. Out of all of the media-oriented software that I've used XBMC is by far my favorite regardless of the platform.

Quoted and bumped because i agree 100% wholeheartedly..

XBMC is the best media center solution across ALL platforms and ALL environments PERIOD. Even the dedicated hardware solutions out there pale in comparison.
They recently got XP running on the ps3, so depending on how the opengl functions, you might be able to already run XBMC on ps3. Just speculating of course.
Hooray for uneducated guessing!
I am not hoping XBMC port to ps3
I am hoping computers will become small, compact and cheap enough (<$300 maybe), similar to the EEEPC so we can run XBMC off that (on mac or linux or windows)
davidw89 Wrote:I am not hoping XBMC port to ps3
I am hoping computers will become small, compact and cheap enough (<$300 maybe), similar to the EEEPC so we can run XBMC off that (on mac or linux or windows)

sorry for 'ot' responds.. Macmini.. its more then 300 bucks, but its small, beautiful, silent? and runs xbmc 1080p
Did anyone try run xbmc for linux on the PS3? Big Grin
There's a bunch of threads about this already.

Short version, PS3 hasn't opened up it's video api, so no OpenGL2, therefore no xbmc.

There's rumors about a group porting OpenGL2 to it, but I haven't heard much on that front.
return null;
Thumbs Down 
independent Wrote:Did anyone try run xbmc for linux on the PS3? Big Grin

So you like what, skipped reading this entire thread and decided to just post?No Oh I see, posted a NEW thread without searching and it got added to this one. Hope the message was received...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
icekiller Wrote:sorry for 'ot' responds.. Macmini.. its more then 300 bucks, but its small, beautiful, silent? and runs xbmc 1080p

are you sure a mac mini runs videos at 1080p?

It got only got 1,8 Ghz Intel C2D but with the lowest possible cache and an integrated graphics chip Intel GMA 950 which even uses the system memory.

I find that hard to belive. And it doesn't even has HDMI output ! Only DVI so you will have no sound at your TV...
Hi guys,

I've just been playing around with XBMC for Mac and I was bowled over by it. Top work.

Anyway, it seems a perfect match for the PS3, but before I download anything, will it work on the PS3 hardware? From my (limited!) understanding, its different architecture raises problems when trying to install various Linux flavours and applications.

Will XBMC for Linux work on the Cell chip, and is there enough RAM in there for it to run smoothly? If yes, am I better off downloading XBMC Live, or installing it on top of Ubuntu?
falc410 Wrote:are you sure a mac mini runs videos at 1080p

Using XBMC, my stock 2.0Ghz Mac Mini plays 1080p without dropping frames even when the bit rate spikes are exceeding 30Mb/s!

As for HDMI; I use a DVI->HDMI cable for the video and run optical audio to my receiver for DD 5.1.

Frankly I understand your skepticism, but the XBMC team has done an incredible job in optimizing the app for modest hardware (keep in mind the original xbox version runs with a 700mhz celeron and 64mb of ram).
Question 
just looking if anybody has run this with yellow dog on the PS3....Im looking to do this and just seeing if anybody else has good luck with it ...Nerd
No, XBMC will not run on the PS3.

Can we get this added to a sticky?
he he.. there has been some questions about this but not that many ? Smile
for the OP:

xbmc is developed for the x86 cpu architecture. the ps3 is has a PPC architecture based Cell cpu.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=ps3

for more info
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS?3