mac usb drive?
still trying to see if a Pi2 will work for us. need more info.
this seems like it my work but not sure.
i read that it can be done in raspbian

question:
can i plug my 2T usb WD drive into the Pi2 running kodi?
this drive is curranty connected to my mac mini osx 10.8
it contains my kodi/media library
the drive is not journaled

or will i need to reformat and transfer?

thank you so much for all the help and advice!
Power supply for the Pi2?
How much peak power does the USB Drive need?

What is the format on the disk drive now? Chances are that the Pi will recognize the drive format so you don't need to change it.

The issues here are more about power supply than anything else. There are 4 USB ports on the Pi2B but there is a limit to how much power it can supply.
A 2TB drive might be too much. In such cases it is recommended to use a powered hub to connect the drive through.
Notice! The power supply may be spec'ed OK (2-2.5A) but the USB to MicroUSB cable can be crap and drop a lot of voltage when loaded down and so create an unstable system. Beware of these cheap cables!
A power supply specifically designed for charging power hungry tablets and with an integrated cable (non-detachable) might be a better choice.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
the drives are powered so that should be fine, correct?
the drives are formatted for and used on a mac currently.
are you sure the openelec or other will read and write as is?
that would be great if so.
thanks
Powered drives are fine because then only a small amount of 5V current is needed from the Pi.
No I am not sure about that, but if an external drive is formatted on a Mac, what file system would it be formatted to?
And what is the file system on your USB drive?

The thing is that if the drive is formatted as an extN file system (N is a number), then chances are good that the Pi would be able to read it.
After all the MacOS is based on Unix like Linux is a clone of Unix too, so there are many similarities.

However, I don't have a Mac computer so I could not verify this....
And I don't use OpenElec either, only RASPBMC and RaspBian. But I think they are sufficiently close so the file systems they use are the same.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
For info..Just plugged in a Mac journaled formatted - USB stick into my RPi running Openelec and it reads it just fine.

wow you all are the greatest.
thank you so much for this info.
nearly all the pieces are falling into place.

thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mac usb drive?0