• 194(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-08-25, 14:57)Soli Wrote: Until then, it's a crippled Kodi fork that still pulls from mainline. Of course ymmv.

You might want to verify this from our commits. Last time we sync'ed anything was a several months ago and we highly doubt that any more massive syncs from mainline will happen. There is just not much of interest in mainline code and I see every commit, every PR.

MrMC continues to advance beyond Kodi capabilities on Android platform. Speaking of, how's that 4k playback on FireTV working in Kodi, oh wait, MrMC has it, Kodi does not. We have Shield now, so we can complete the AudioTrack refactor. Native Plex Client is about to get music/picture handling and we are toying with an native Emby client. And skins are about to return to an external repo.

The only thing 'missing' from MrMC fork are addons and they are the death of kodi anyway. Nice idea, but their abuse for piracy and 'fully loaded' boxes have tarnished the Kodi brand. Less anyone mistake it, we could have gotten MrMC with addons into the various stores, but I've always hated the way they were done and we decided that a clean break was due. Death to python and all the issues it causes Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
hi guys im wondering could someone give me some advise about the audio setting on kodi with nvidia shield tv. i have my shield connected to my panasonic bluray 5.1 sorrund sound system and ARC , the sound is very echoish and doesn't sound correct at all . im lost and dont know what pcm passthrough mean in kodi audio settings , is there recommended settings for my set up ?

thanks
MrMC Davila Scott Sir. Assuming this comes to Shield TV, will app on Amazon be the same as one in Google Play? Can I buy now and sideload later?
I suggest/insist that anything MrMC related will go to their forum cause this is not the place. That includes any self promotion.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-08-25, 16:59)MrMC Wrote:
(2016-08-25, 14:57)Soli Wrote: Until then, it's a crippled Kodi fork that still pulls from mainline. Of course ymmv.

You might want to verify this from our commits. Last time we sync'ed anything was a several months ago and we highly doubt that any more massive syncs from mainline will happen. There is just not much of interest in mainline code and I see every commit, every PR.

MrMC continues to advance beyond Kodi capabilities on Android platform. Speaking of, how's that 4k playback on FireTV working in Kodi, oh wait, MrMC has it, Kodi does not. We have Shield now, so we can complete the AudioTrack refactor. Native Plex Client is about to get music/picture handling and we are toying with an native Emby client. And skins are about to return to an external repo.

The only thing 'missing' from MrMC fork are addons and they are the death of kodi anyway. Nice idea, but their abuse for piracy and 'fully loaded' boxes have tarnished the Kodi brand. Less anyone mistake it, we could have gotten MrMC with addons into the various stores, but I've always hated the way they were done and we decided that a clean break was due. Death to python and all the issues it causes Smile
I agree with most of your points, but that's besides the case. As for pulling or not pulling from mainline, I'll take your word for it. You shouldn't say never, though..or you would basically be wasting your time looking at every commit/PR. From what I can gather from your post is that MrMC now stands on its own feet. If so, then great, but then you should refrain from the obvious self promotion and keep to your own forums.

Strictly speaking, the only thing saving you from being banned several times already is that you used to be the closest thing to a rockstar a Kodi dev could be, you play by GPL rules, and some features have been backported from MrMC back to Kodi. But c'mon, have some dignity and don't piss on the whole Kodi community with the shameless self promotion.
your wish is my command... bye.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-08-25, 18:49)Soli Wrote: Strictly speaking, the only thing saving you from being banned several times already is that you used to be the closest thing to a rockstar a Kodi dev could be, you play by GPL rules, and some features have been backported from MrMC back to Kodi. But c'mon, have some dignity and don't piss on the whole Kodi community with the shameless self promotion.

Nothing Davilla has done comes even close to warranting a ban. There's no past-tense on "used to" there, because most of his code is still being used to this day.

Self promotion? MrMC is coming out for the Shield (and I would hope for Android TV in general). Do you have any idea how great that is for Kodi? It is a fork, in the spirit of the GPL, that is helping to save the Kodi for Android platform. We're supposed to welcome those things. This community, this project, was always supposed to encourage and welcome GPL-compliant forks.

Boxee, another former fork, once flew all of the XBMC devs out to Amsterdam and paid to set up the XBMC Foundation. I guess they should have been shunned and turned away as well? I'm pretty sure Boxee also cut a lot of XBMC features so they could focus on a specific vision.

Python add-ons are the single greatest security issue facing Kodi right now. MrMC working towards a realistic long-term replacement is going to be extremely significant for Kodi.

Instead of you guys (yes, you too Martijn) feeling threatened, welcome discussion about MrMC. This is good for the project, and you should know by now that Davilla doesn't just do stuff like shameless self promotion (or shilling or whatever it is you seem to think is going on here). Sometimes he can be a jerk, but he's honest as hell. Kodi for Android is in bad shape, which is all the more reason you shouldn't be disrespecting the guy like this.

By the way, you might want to look at the slash and burn of features from mainline Kodi for the last few versions. Getting all bent out of shape because some fork doesn't have the feature you use is really silly in light of that.

Don't push this project away. You do everyone a disservice by doing that.
I use Kodi on the Shield.. due the Python add-ons (live TV)

I use SPMC on the Shield...due the passthrough of HDAudio (Blu-ray)

I use Plex server on the Shield....due the simple GUI during playback (Blu-ray)

I use the Shield...due his performance and Netflix 4K and 5.1

If i have to pay any of does Apps above it would be well worth it.

If MrMC manage to improve the Number1 Android box on the market, i would pay for it....

Ps: it doesn't bother me to have 4 or 5 different apps to do different things on same box, but it would be very inconvenient to have 2 or more boxes to do the same.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

I don't have any qualms with Davilla or MrMC (the software), he's an awesome coder that has done a lot for Kodi. Hell, I've still got a mental picture of the guy as a John Romero rockstar coder that would fit right into HBO's Silicon Valley.. But let's not turn this into discussion about CV (or future CV including long-term replacement for Python addons). This is only about his behavior after he forked Kodi. I see tongue-in-cheek comments, and self promotion all the time. Now, I'm just a nobody user on the forum, but I still know it's wrong. I might or might not feel stronger about this if I was connected to Team Kodi. Having this view is not "pushing the project away". The only person pushing anything away would be Davilla himself, but I don't think that is the case either.

Earlier I was commenting on MrMC as crippled (as of today), and I still stand by it in the context of discussing Kodi/Shield/Android on Kodi forums. MrMC being awesome/sucky in itself won't change that view. It was literally a comment. I can't sugarcoat every comment. Just imagine if everybody had to sugarcoat every comment on github/bug tracker.. We're all in the same boat here, and nobody is getting paid..well except.. Big Grin
(2016-08-26, 08:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Python add-ons are the single greatest security issue facing Kodi right now. MrMC working towards a realistic long-term replacement is going to be extremely significant for Kodi.
IMHO - Yes this is Exactly the crux of the No Android Dev. problem for Kodi right now. Python and Android Piracy is dragging down the whole Kodi project. No one including me wants to help the (mostly AML Asian Android) Kodi pirates make their illegal platforms run any better by contributing to Android Kodi Code.

So a dev. (MrMC) has the balls to actually tell it like it is and gets told to shut up, pissoff and is not welcome on the forums for presenting an alternative point of view. I actually welcome an open an frank discussion on the future of Kodi, Python and Addons, and if that includes MrMC and improvements that may be possible from an alternative fork then let it happen.

Talking of banning and shutting down a discussion just because a dev. rubs another dev. up the wrong way during a robust exchange of ideas, is frankly childish and not the way forward for the Kodi project.

A better addon system, how is that going to stop piracy? It's not like that would be exclusive to "legal" addons? Nobody has told MrMC to piss off. MrMC has the same view on the "fully loaded" boxes as the rest of Team Kodi. I'm positively sure that In the context of discussing the future of Kodi addons and such, Davilla would be more than welcome to chime in.
That's easy, you can make an add-on system that only allows approved add-ons to be installed.
So if I made an addon for my own purposes, I have to send that my code to a Team Kodi committee to get it approved? What about updates? Disregarding the logistics nightmare: What if I just used a approved signature (or something thereabouts) from an approved addon? What if the Piracy makers commented out the specific code in the source?
Sure everything is possible, but at what cost? And since kodi is open source, it's never going to fly in the long run.
(2016-08-26, 13:30)Soli Wrote: What if I just used a approved signature (or something thereabouts) from an approved addon?

It doesn't work like that.The signature is on a hash of the content.

(2016-08-26, 13:30)Soli Wrote: What if the Piracy makers commented out the specific code in the source?

They sure can if they are capable, but then are legally bound to rebrand. Then we don't care because it doesn't affect us anymore...
Well yeah, of course, but the more secure you make it, the more of a nightmare the logistics would be, and would seriously limit Kodi users too, and probably piss them off. And what about addon devs, are they gonna get a special version of Kodi that isn't locked down? Etc etc.

Even though I encourage discussion, I don't think that the ideals of openness should take a hit because of the fight against pirates.

Legally bound doesn't mean anything in China. I'm not saying, just saying.. Besides, and ianal, but would even a small change legally bound a rebrand? What about the Linux kernel? I don't see anyone rebranding Linux?
  • 194(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9