NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-03-05, 17:38)Wagg Wrote: There are Chinese boxes that do Netflix and have 4k HDMI 2.0 output? Which ones?

Nothing yet, but Chinese Android TV boxes are certainly coming just like we saw with normal Android and then eventually Android Wear. I am always looking at trends and the future, and less what is available today. Today if you call yourself a videophile you have a Chromebox or better in the livingroom, anything Android or Android TV isn't good enough.

That is kinda my point: the OS is holding back the potential of the Nvidia box. Who cares about HDMI 2.0 if you can't even get proper 24p playback?

The issue for Nvidia is that Android TV can't be "skinned" and must remain as it is from Google. So only Google can provide the needed fixes to be a proper HTPC. If Google doesn't bother to do that until a year or whatever after the box is released then by the time this thing reaches its potential any cheap Android TV box will be 90% of the way there.

If Nvidia wants to sell a ton of these to this community, and get some nerd excitement built up around the box, then they need to go around Google. We already have an excellent HTPC platform in Linux, so if they bring over their drivers and throw some resources at fixing VDPAU we might have the successor to the Chromebox.

I am a huge Nvidia fanboy, but I am almost out of a reason to buy their products. VDPAU on ARM would change that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by poofyhairguy - 2015-03-05, 17:51
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9