NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-07-01, 12:22)wolfbiker Wrote:
(2015-07-01, 02:16)movie78 Wrote: For a Kodi user.

Are there any Difference between the Nvidia Sheild and the Google Nexus Player?

Just comparing Kodi between the two, not really. The short comings with Kodi on Android TV are Kodi specific and not to one specific device.

If you're asking which one you should buy simply for using Kodi, buy the Nexus Player. It's cheaper, has a better remote and will give you virtually the same Kodi experience as the SAD. If gaming and PC-style gaming is something you want as well, get the SAD. But for just Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, etc. the Nexus Player is fine. Yes, it's wifi only, but I'm streaming 1080p encodes up multiple floors in my home (wifi N 5ghz) with no buffering. YMMV. Ethernet via USB OTG is also an option.

If you have a serious home theater with a big screen/projector and surround sound, I'd recommend an HTPC running Kodi under Windows or (my preference) OpenELEC instead due to HD audio support and more video post processing options. But if you're just looking for something to hook up to a TV to use Kodi, the Nexus Player is perfect. I have three Nexus Players for that purpose and sent back the Shield Android TV I purchased because it wasn't better (or equal to, really) than my OpenELEC install of Kodi.

See I disagree with that assessment. I have owned a FIRETV which I am assuming is comparable to NP hardware wise. Shield TV blows FIRETV out of the water, yes.. in terms of Kodi experience. It is much faster, smoother, NVIDIA has fixed the auto refresh rate switching and supposedly there are a few more enhancements in the pipeline. My experience is totally different from FTV.

Once again, just my opinion, since I have not actually used a NP, but I feel FTV and NP are probably more comparable.

Besides, if you want something more for Kodi, why would you want to rely on wifi? Thats one area where I have seen no compromise amongst Kodi users. I did not even spare a thought for NP due to lack of ethernet..

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by ozkhan1 - 2015-07-01, 17:04
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9