• 58(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-07-04, 16:36)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Here are screen shots of the 1080P file, I tried to get from similar sections for comparison.
Shield - https://imgur.com/a/nlHvB
Nexus Player - https://imgur.com/a/9UiN7

@Koying in Hiphopopotamus's Shield screenshots it shows 4 cores being used. Given that the Tegra X1 exposes all 8 cores to the userspace (according to anandtech) wouldn't Kodi be able to use all 8 cores? Is this being limited by android or would it be something complex to handle? Since the A53 cores are less powerful than the A57 ones it could be harder to distribute tasks between them I'm guessing... Anyway this is just curiosity Smile

anandtech Wrote:However, rather than a somewhat standard big.LITTLE configuration as one might expect, NVIDIA continues to use their own unique system. [...] which exposes all eight cores to userspace applications.

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8811/nvidi...x1-preview
(2015-07-05, 17:01)oWarchild Wrote: @Koying in Hiphopopotamus's Shield screenshots it shows 4 cores being used. Given that the Tegra X1 exposes all 8 cores to the userspace (according to anandtech) wouldn't Kodi be able to use all 8 cores? Is this being limited by android or would it be something complex to handle? Since the A53 cores are less powerful than the A57 ones it could be harder to distribute tasks between them I'm guessing... Anyway this is just curiosity Smile

Wild guess: Kodi only shows 4 CPU's max Wink
We don't do anything regarding cpu usage. That's controlled by the kernel.
Nvidia forum guys are saying there is a 1.3 update available now. Any improvements useful for Kodi in it?
(2015-07-07, 15:39)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Nvidia forum guys are saying there is a 1.3 update available now. Any improvements useful for Kodi in it?
We didn't hear anything so how would any of us know?
Why don't you ask there as those forum admins have inside info.?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Well, asking if you heard anything was my point. It is being asked there.
I just updated Kodi when I saw there was an update for it in the store on the device. When launching Kodi now there's an error popup saying 'OBB not yet present. Please retry later...' Sup wit dat, yo?
(2015-07-07, 16:23)Fuaffers Wrote: I just updated Kodi when I saw there was an update for it in the store on the device. When launching Kodi now there's an error popup saying 'OBB not yet present. Please retry later...' Sup wit dat, yo?

Nothing's up with that yo...
Its a problem with Play Store which we (probably) cannot do anything about.
(2015-07-07, 16:09)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Well, asking if you heard anything was my point. It is being asked there.

Last time we heard something a few days before the update from the devs here because it was relevant. This time we didn't hear anything from the devs probably because this update isn't relevant to local media playback.

There are only three things or so we could expect at this point for Kodi's improvement.
1) A codec pack available for purchase (VC-1, DTS*, and DDTrueHD decoding as well as passthrough HD audio).
2) Properly implemented 23.967 and 59.94 playback.
3) Support for MVC and other "fringe" things like Hi10p in hardware.
4) Support for deinterlacing other than Bob for H264.

I'm hopeful #1 comes soon as it is definitely noticeably missing. #2 is a bigger thing to overcome and I don't believe they ever committed to this either. Hopefully it will come sometime in the near future but don't expect it right away and it isn't as big of a deal as 24/60p does work well. #3 I don't expect at all but would be great (MVC for me). #4 seems like Fight Club.
(2015-07-07, 15:39)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Nvidia forum guys are saying there is a 1.3 update available now. Any improvements useful for Kodi in it?

info page for the update , dont see anything interesting related to Kodi
http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android...notes/1.3/
(2015-07-07, 16:36)krldot Wrote:

info page for the update , dont see anything interesting related to Kodi
http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android...notes/1.3/

To be fair in the 1.2 update there is nothing noted to help Kodi, and yet that's when they added in MPEG2 hardware decoding.
(2015-07-07, 16:28)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 16:23)Fuaffers Wrote: I just updated Kodi when I saw there was an update for it in the store on the device. When launching Kodi now there's an error popup saying 'OBB not yet present. Please retry later...' Sup wit dat, yo?

Nothing's up with that yo...
Its a problem with Play Store which we (probably) cannot do anything about.

So it seems there is actually something up with that. A Play Store app update broke the app. So the lesson is to sideload Kodi from now on. Fortunately I should have a backup from the 5th.
Playstore often enough has issues with updating apps.
Is that just an Android TV problem? Never had something like that happen on my phone and have had Android phones for six years. This box so far seems a comedy of errors. Maybe that's common with new devices, I'm not usually an early adopter. Obviously it is awesome when it's working well and the potential is there. Just so many little things.

Oh and while I'm thinking about it, I've noticed whenever I go into Kodi the video calibration settings are reset, which is really annoying to have to re-do it every time. I think I read something about it in this thread but don't remember what and can't find it. Is there a fix?
(2015-07-07, 16:50)Fuaffers Wrote: Is that just an Android TV problem? Never had something like that happen on my phone and have had Android phones for six years. This box so far seems a comedy of errors. Maybe that's common with new devices, I'm not usually an early adopter. Obviously it is awesome when it's working well and the potential is there. Just so many little things.

Oh and while I'm thinking about it, I've noticed whenever I go into Kodi the video calibration settings are reset, which is really annoying to have to re-do it every time. I think I read something about it in this thread but don't remember what and can't find it. Is there a fix?

No its not a SHIELD problem but an android problem. Same as those settings.
I've been using several droid devices without problems. I've had the shield for some months already and also problem what so ever.
I not got any backups Sad
Will re-install by sideloading it fix it or will I have lost all data?
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9