NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-12-02, 13:13)noggin Wrote:
(2015-12-02, 12:45)ufaneitor Wrote: Hi guys, I am thinking about buying the shield tv, but I want to know the quality of the live tv with Kodi, with the shield tv ota 2.0 is the deinterlace made by hardware or you still have to use bob? In Spain almost all the channels are 1080i ,How about the quality with this version, is better than the PI2 for live tv?
Thanks !!

Pi 2 and ODroid C1+ are better for Live TV with deinterlacing by all accounts. No hardware deinterlacing yet (or planned?) on the Shield AFAIK. It's a great platform for watching streamed movies (as it has 4K Netflix support), and content you've ripped yourself from 1080p sources. It's not a good Kodi box if you watch Live/Recorded TV or lots of interlaced content in general

The ODroid is a bit faster rendering the UI when deinterlacing Live TV (but overall has issues rendering the UI with some tearing, though not on video), and has HEVC 8 bit support. It doesn't do well with DVD ISOs or .VOB/VIDEO_TS folders though, as for some reason it won't deinterlace DVD content.

The Pi 2 has 3D MVC support (for 3D Blu-ray replay with Frame Packed output) and much better support for multichannel audio (including lossless decoding of HD Audio which it can output as multichannel PCM - which is great if you have an AV amp) The Pi 2 also has better Linux driver support (as it runs a more recent, and actively developed kernel, unlike the ODroid which is looking to be stuck at Kernel 3.10?) so is more likely to be compatible with newer DVB USB sticks etc. You need to buy a £3.60 licence pack for MPEG2 and VC-1 support (H264 is built in) on the Pi, but when you do you get full MPEG2 hardware decode, including DVD ISO and .VOB/VIDEO_TS playback with deinterlacing.

Definitely worth considering a Chromebox or other Celeron 2955U/2957U box will do a VERY good deinterlace and is very snappy. It will outperform the ODroid and the Pi 2 in most areas (though it doesn't have 3D MVC or HEVC hardware decode) and is a much more powerful platform. Everything runs quicker on it, and it will even bitstream HD Audio (as well as decode non-bitstreamable audio to multichannel PCM, as the Pi 2 does)

Can I ask a question about the above?

My Rpi2 currently connects to my Enigma2 STB via Vu+ add-on in KODI, and plays my TV channels flawlessly inc HD channels (I did need to buy a MPEG2 license for the Rpi2)....which has saved my the expense of buying a second STB.

Will my Nvidia Shield do the same?

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by mahockey - 2015-12-02, 15:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9