• 130(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-12-10, 15:55)abpostelnicu Wrote: Guys i have some questions:
- does this support 10bit
Yes, for 4K 50/60Hz modes if your display supports 10-bit. As of now, only Netflix outputs 10-bit.
(2015-12-10, 20:55)dropzone7 Wrote: As for HD audio, I am willing to wait until that happens because I still feel like the Shield is a powerful piece of hardware. I did not buy it for gaming however. I bought it for Kodi and yes, it is my own dam fault for not knowing how Kodi operates in Android. I love Kodi on my Chromebox running Openelec and I was just so used to all of those features that I assumed with the Shield being a superior piece of hardware that it would be at least equal or better in running Kodi. I know now that this an Android limitation. I appreciate the Kodi community and I will be patient and see how it pans out on the Shield.

And if people would just read the wiki for the Shield they would see what the limitations are.

As well, it's not a Android limitation with the SATV since it is capable of HD audio pass-through, it's a limitation of Kodi at this point. This is something new for Android and it takes time to get these things working in apps, but it is in the pipeline and will be available in future versions of Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Him does this work with HD Audio?
I have read every page and it is not mentioned once.
(2015-12-11, 02:44)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Him does this work with HD Audio?

Oh, c'mon... You couldn't find one mention of it? In 5 seconds, I found 13 pages of search results for "hd audio" in this thread. Big Grin

http://forum.kodi.tv/search.php?action=r...96284cd885

HD Audio is currently being worked on.
Image Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files - http://jell.yfish.us

And only if there was another page in the "Android" (you know, that OS that runs on the SATV) forum that mentioned it in the first post. Big Grin

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-12-10, 21:52)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:27)SofaKng Wrote: Do you guys know if the Shield TV supports IP control?
Not yet possible. There was a discussion on this topic: TCP/IP Control

Man i really hope this goes somewhere. I want to switch to the shield but don't want to use IR. I'm far too used to IP control with my rti remote, and while bluetooth is an option I don't want to switch to a harmony remote just for that...

I am going to go out on a limb here.... but I think he is being sarcastic guys Wink
(2015-12-11, 06:15)touser Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:52)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:27)SofaKng Wrote: Do you guys know if the Shield TV supports IP control?
Not yet possible. There was a discussion on this topic: TCP/IP Control

Man i really hope this goes somewhere. I want to switch to the shield but don't want to use IR. I'm far too used to IP control with my rti remote, and while bluetooth is an option I don't want to switch to a harmony remote just for that...

You can still control Kodi via IP on the Shield TV. You will just lose IP control when you exit Kodi. Just program a page flip on your RTI remote when you aren't using Kodi so that you are sending IR commands instead. Not too difficult to do with Integration Designer.
(2015-12-11, 06:24)Bahndit Wrote:
(2015-12-11, 06:15)touser Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:52)wesk05 Wrote: Not yet possible. There was a discussion on this topic: TCP/IP Control

You can still control Kodi via IP on the Shield TV. You will just lose IP control when you exit Kodi. Just program a page flip on your RTI remote when you aren't using Kodi so that you are sending IR commands instead. Not too difficult to do with Integration Designer.

Thanks, and yeah I know. But considering I want to use netflix and other apps on the shield IR performance is pretty lacking, at least when I tried it with a friends shield tv and the pronto hex posted on avsforum for the shield. The responsiveness to button presses was much slower than IP directly to kodi or using bluetooth anything else. Assuming you're using that setup do you have any suggestions for improving the ir responsiveness with rti + shieldtv?
(2015-12-11, 06:44)touser Wrote: Thanks, and yeah I know. But considering I want to use netflix and other apps on the shield IR performance is pretty lacking, at least when I tried it with a friends shield tv and the pronto hex posted on avsforum for the shield. The responsiveness to button presses was much slower than IP directly to kodi or using bluetooth anything else. Assuming you're using that setup do you have any suggestions for improving the ir responsiveness with rti + shieldtv?

I haven't received mine yet. It should be here tomorrow. However, I will be using it with a Control4 System. I still sell and service RTI systems occasionally but I took most of my business to Control4 a few years ago and I have been really happy with the decision. I will post back on how the IR performance is with Control4. It will likely be the same but I have found that some IR devices respond better to some control systems than others. In the end I am in the same boat as you and hoping that a reliable IP control solution gets worked out at some point though.
(2015-12-10, 21:34)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 20:34)Martijn Wrote: Oh boehoe. Perhaps some initial investigation had already told you all this.
FYI mine is doing perfect 4k@60 hz and you can just do PCM for hd audio as it makes no difference.

Converting to PCM output won't give you proper Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so it makes a lot of difference.

The PCM option is only for DTS-HD, not True HD and others.
(2015-12-11, 08:21)querty1000 Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:34)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 20:34)Martijn Wrote: Oh boehoe. Perhaps some initial investigation had already told you all this.
FYI mine is doing perfect 4k@60 hz and you can just do PCM for hd audio as it makes no difference.

Converting to PCM output won't give you proper Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so it makes a lot of difference.

You can output LPCM for both DTS-HD & True HD. True HD actually worked before DTS-HD was added, there's just no setting that you have to tick to make it work.
(2015-12-11, 06:20)Bahndit Wrote:

I am going to go out on a limb here.... but I think he is being sarcastic guys Wink

Nope, facetious.
(2015-12-11, 08:42)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-12-11, 08:21)querty1000 Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 21:34)DaMacFunkin Wrote: Converting to PCM output won't give you proper Dolby Atmos or DTS:X so it makes a lot of difference.

You can output LPCM for both DTS-HD & True HD. True HD actually worked before DTS-HD was added, there's just no setting that you have to tick to make it work.

Thanx, nice to know, but anyway - we are all waiting for the first 17-"k*****" alphas.
(2015-12-11, 06:44)touser Wrote: Thanks, and yeah I know. But considering I want to use netflix and other apps on the shield IR performance is pretty lacking, at least when I tried it with a friends shield tv and the pronto hex posted on avsforum for the shield. The responsiveness to button presses was much slower than IP directly to kodi or using bluetooth anything else. Assuming you're using that setup do you have any suggestions for improving the ir responsiveness with rti + shieldtv?

I am using a Harmony One that uses IR. I lowered the delay times for button presses. It feels pretty snappy to me but the Shield Controller is still a little faster.
  • 130(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9