• 152(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-01-22, 14:34)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 13:15)e3henri Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 10:39)querty1000 Wrote: Better stay with this instead the official KODI: It adds proper passthrough
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
Well I'm not aboard the hysteric pass-through-train (my receiver is even behind a door so I will not see the DTS-HDMA loga anyway).
Proper LPCM 7.1 as in official Kodi16 works perfectly fine for me Smile
Well, its not only to implement proper PT, koying had fixed also a lot of stuttering, audio lags etc. on different video formats.

There are no audio or visual issues with the official Kodi 16. Unless you need Atmos/DTS:X support or are happy to help out and test there is no reason to be running Koying's build OR the v17 builds.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
(2016-01-22, 14:50)drhill Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 14:34)querty1000 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 13:15)e3henri Wrote: Well I'm not aboard the hysteric pass-through-train (my receiver is even behind a door so I will not see the DTS-HDMA loga anyway).
Proper LPCM 7.1 as in official Kodi16 works perfectly fine for me Smile
Well, its not only to implement proper PT, koying had fixed also a lot of stuttering, audio lags etc. on different video formats.

There are no audio or visual issues with the official Kodi 16. Unless you need Atmos/DTS:X support or are happy to help out and test there is no reason to be running Koying's build of the v17 builds.

Koying's test-builds are Jarvis, not Krypton. They provide HD audio passthrough whereas V16 does not.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2016-01-22, 15:06)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 14:50)drhill Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 14:34)querty1000 Wrote: Well, its not only to implement proper PT, koying had fixed also a lot of stuttering, audio lags etc. on different video formats.

There are no audio or visual issues with the official Kodi 16. Unless you need Atmos/DTS:X support or are happy to help out and test there is no reason to be running Koying's build of the v17 builds.

Koying's test-builds are Jarvis, not Krypton. They provide HD audio passthrough whereas V16 does not.

"Koying's build OR the v17 builds". Typo. Still that isn't the important part of the statement. Official Kodi 16 has no audio or visual issues. Passthrough is an fluff feature for anyone who doesn't have an Atmos/DTS:X receiver and content.
(2016-01-22, 18:04)drhill Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 14:50)drhill Wrote: There are no audio or visual issues with the official Kodi 16. Unless you need Atmos/DTS:X support or are happy to help out and test there is no reason to be running Koying's build of the v17 builds.

"Koying's build OR the v17 builds". Typo. Still that isn't the important part of the statement. Official Kodi 16 has no audio or visual issues. Passthrough is an fluff feature for anyone who doesn't have an Atmos/DTS:X receiver and content.

Passthrough is not a fluff feature. It allows the audio to be decode on the receiver. I'd say that's a pretty major feature.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2016-01-22, 22:25)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 15:06)danjames92 Wrote: Koying's test-builds are Jarvis, not Krypton. They provide HD audio passthrough whereas V16 does not.

Passthrough is not a fluff feature. It allows the audio to be decode on the receiver. I'd say that's a pretty major feature.

But what is the difference between lossless PCM decoding in the player and lossless PCM decoding in the receiver? (The answer is none, unless you need to use processing in the receiver that requires the metadata in the bitstream, or you need Atmos / DTS : x decoding)
(2016-01-22, 14:50)drhill Wrote: There are no audio or visual issues with the official Kodi 16. Unless you need Atmos/DTS:X support or are happy to help out and test there is no reason to be running Koying's build of the v17 builds.

Sorry for adding water on the meaningless pass-through issue (it will sound the same ...period) Smile
But I dont understand the statement of "no audio and visual issues", well I have lots of issues with my Kodi16 on SHield compared to Boxee box. Maybe you say that it is not a Kodi problem, but anyway most of my DVD rip have stuttering issues or audio out of sync (regardless of acceleration is turned on or off) and they played absolutly fine on Boxee box.
(2016-01-22, 22:56)e3henri Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 15:06)danjames92 Wrote: Koying's test-builds are Jarvis, not Krypton. They provide HD audio passthrough whereas V16 does not.

Sorry for adding water on the meaningless pass-through issue (it will sound the same ...period) Smile
But I dont understand the statement of "no audio and visual issues", well I have lots of issues with my Kodi16 on SHield compared to Boxee box. Maybe you say that it is not a Kodi problem, but anyway most of my DVD rip have stuttering issues or audio out of sync (regardless of acceleration is turned on or off) and they played absolutly fine on Boxee box.

Thats a first. Boxee Box performing better than Shield. Who would have thunk?
(2016-01-22, 22:38)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:25)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 18:04)drhill Wrote: "Koying's build OR the v17 builds". Typo. Still that isn't the important part of the statement. Official Kodi 16 has no audio or visual issues. Passthrough is an fluff feature for anyone who doesn't have an Atmos/DTS:X receiver and content.

But what is the difference between lossless PCM decoding in the player and lossless PCM decoding in the receiver? (The answer is none, unless you need to use processing in the receiver that requires the metadata in the bitstream, or you need Atmos / DTS : x decoding)

Passing through the audio to the reciever allows for room optimization that's taken into account when you calibrate with YPAO. AFAIK, decoding locally and outputting LPCM, does not.
(2016-01-23, 01:39)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:38)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:25)danjames92 Wrote: Passthrough is not a fluff feature. It allows the audio to be decode on the receiver. I'd say that's a pretty major feature.

Passing through the audio to the reciever allows for room optimization that's taken into account when you calibrate with YPAO. AFAIK, decoding locally and outputting LPCM, does not.

I thought most receivers treated multichannel PCM and HD Audio bitstreams the same when it came to room optimisation. I'm pretty certain our Onkyo room optimises PCM sourced inputs as well as bitstreamed stuff. Don't think the metadata helps hugely with that?

That would mean you didn't get optimisation from games consoles, DVB-T2 set top boxes in AAC-territories that output PCM rather than lossily transcoding to AC3 etc.
(2016-01-22, 22:56)e3henri Wrote:

I have no issues with all of my blu ray rips (direct rip to mkv). If you are having issues it isn't anything to do with the Shield unless yours is defective.
(2016-01-23, 03:29)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-23, 01:39)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-01-22, 22:38)noggin Wrote: But what is the difference between lossless PCM decoding in the player and lossless PCM decoding in the receiver? (The answer is none, unless you need to use processing in the receiver that requires the metadata in the bitstream, or you need Atmos / DTS : x decoding)

I thought most receivers treated multichannel PCM and HD Audio bitstreams the same when it came to room optimisation. I'm pretty certain our Onkyo room optimises PCM sourced inputs as well as bitstreamed stuff. Don't think the metadata helps hugely with that?

That would mean you didn't get optimisation from games consoles, DVB-T2 set top boxes in AAC-territories that output PCM rather than lossily transcoding to AC3 etc.

I believe you are correct. The only metadata that could be useful is dialog normalization.

Personally I had my theater calibrated professionally. First thing he does is turn off Audessey/whatever room stuff a receiver would use and tune the system manually. So I don't need dialog norm and I don't have an atmos. At most using pass through would make the Shield do less by shifting the decoding details to the receiver. Not sure that does much for us unless Nvidia were to add frame packing support and Kodi were to decode 3d MVC in software (the only missing feature from a blu ray player other then playing an actual disc).
something from nvidia forum:

ManuelGuzman said:
Thank you for your feedback. Picture quality is very important to us and we’re currently working on enhancements.

Our next software update (3.0) will upgrade SHIELD to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The following update (3.1), and subsequent updates, will include enhancements for picture quality.
(2016-01-22, 22:38)noggin Wrote: But what is the difference between lossless PCM decoding in the player and lossless PCM decoding in the receiver? (The answer is none, unless you need to use processing in the receiver that requires the metadata in the bitstream, or you need Atmos / DTS : x decoding)

At the moment there some issue with Hd audio volume levels being decoded by the Receiver and being decoded in Nvidia Shield (+ 10db higher volume in Shield)
I reported in post 513 but no one seems giving to much attention, lets wait until someone have their tweeters blow up

Ill give more details and proper measurements next week.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2016-01-23, 14:05)couto27 Wrote: I reported in post 513 but no one seems giving to much attention, lets wait until someone have their tweeters blow up

Because there's nothing Kodi related in this potential issue...
I assume the same happens with the system player? Best exposed on the NVidia forum, then...
@Koying
Im long way from home, ill give more details next week, wether is Kodi or shield related.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

• 152(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9