NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Cheers. 8-Ball.

I think you will find AMLogic devices have very good quality Motion Adaptive, Edge Enhancing deinterlacing, and certain AML OS platforms also give you Full motion YADIFx2 for Interlaced DVD mpeg2 ISO playback Wink
I cannot compare upscaling quality to a Shield, but I believe it all done in Hardware on AMLogic by the VPU.

AML Video playback is using Bypass Rendering, Kodi has no say over picture enhancements once video frames are sent to the VPU Hardware. No complaints about Soft upscaled picture quality with all S8xx/S905 LibreELEC devices I develop for. 720p or 1080p is output as 1080p and I let the 4K TV do high quality upscaling. Its all pretty seamless with 720/1080/2160p Refresh switching as well with no mucking around with settings if you get the right AML box.

I'm not trying to bag out the Shield, but asked the original question as this came from a Shield owner over on the HardKernel C2 (AML S905) LibreELEC forums:
Quote:Currently the Shield have no resolution switch (comes with next Android Update). So setting the device to 4K, KODI does the upscaling (Lancos3 Optimised), which is still too soft.) It has frame rate switch, but if it do that, it changes the Color Space to RGB Limited. No fix date confirmed from Nvidia. With the last update they also crashed HW deinterlacing, so nearly everything stutters, looks too soft and color Space is wrong... I am done with the Shield

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...15#p153789

So this post now corresponds with what 8-Ball has written. This is the sort of info I need to inform users about in the "Pick the Right Kodi Box" thread.
Thx for the honest feedback. It will help others.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by wrxtasy - 2016-08-18, 15:29
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9