NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-08-31, 22:17)iV1n5 Wrote: Hi All,

i finally got my shield at home. I've tried it a little bit but I'm still missing something. I focused a lot on video capabilities being sure that audio somehow would have been there... and now I have my problems. Tongue

So, this is what I have:
- LG 55EF950 (v04.25.10)
- Denon AVR-3311 (latest firmware)
- nVidia Shield (v3.2)

not having a HDMI 2.0a + HDCP 2.2 AVR, I would be happy if i could get either of:
- 2160p60 with 5.1 audio
- 1080p with HD Audio

I have tried two possible setups:
1. Shield attached directly to the TV and using ARC to pass audio to the AVR
2. Shield attached to the AVR

In the first case I can get 4K at 60hz but the audio is stuck at just stereo. Still trying to understand if I'm missing something in the configuration (on each device).
In the second case I am stuck with 4K at 30hz but at least I can get multi-channel audio. The problem here is I couldn't get any audio passthrough to work. Only PCM.

Of course I can give you all the settings I have on each device but maybe you can start by telling me if it's just possible:
- to have 5.1 audio passthrough using ARC
- to have the shield pass coded audio to my AVR instead of just PCM

I really appreciate your support. Thanks!

Update: all my test were done using SPMC. I've just tried Plex out of curiosity and ARC works in passthrough! I can see Dolby Digital or DTS on my receiver display. This means I can focus on the shield/SPMC only! Huge step forward! Tongue

Hi, at the end I've decided to follow the second option by attaching the shield to the AVR, to get the best fro the audio. Right now, 4K videos are not so many... and when they will be available I'll just upgrade my AVR to one with HDMI 2.0a + HDCP 2.2.
in the mean time, to fix the multi-channel option and allow the passthrough I've disabled this option:

Videos > Playback > sync playback to display = off

Hope this can help someone else. I suggest everyone to follow these recommendations:

Recommended video settings for SPMC and NVIDIA Shield TV with 1080p GUI

Recommended passthrough audio settings for SPMC, NVIDIA Shield TV and AV Receivers

Recommended video settings for SPMC, NVIDIA Shield TV and UHD (4K) TVs with 4K GUI

Messages In This Thread
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 12:08
RE: 64bit XBMC - by Dark_Slayer - 2015-12-30, 21:03
RE: 64bit XBMC - by nickr - 2015-12-30, 23:56
RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - by iV1n5 - 2016-09-04, 18:02
Wierd artifact appearing - by foghat - 2016-12-09, 03:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9