• 200(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-09-14, 08:23)Koying Wrote: @wesk05 Actually, what I don't understand is why 1080i would be more efficient bandwidth-wise than 1080p, assuming equal framerate and resolution (i.e. not comparing 1080i60, which is 1080p60 at half resolution, to 1080p60 full resolution).

Or is it just that? Sacrificing vertical resolution for higher framerates?
It is both. You do need higher frame rate, but the issue here is MPEG-2 Main profile @ high level doesn't define support for 1080p60. It is either 1080i60 or 720p60. The cable boxes with most customers in the U.S. are from yesteryear and they do not support 1080p60 Main profile @ High Profile Level decoding that is required for 1080p60. Also, these cable boxes do not support MPEG-4. Then there is the whole issue with bitrate 1080i60 @ 12Mbps vs 1080p60 @ 24Mbps. One 6MHz QAM 256 channel has a bandwidth of ~38.8Mbps. It really comes down to how many TV channels that you can transmit in one QAM channel.

Here is a 1080p60 Main@HPL MPEG-2 TS clip. I was really surprised to see Shield, Amlogic etc. do hardware decoding for this clip.

Big Buck Bunny 1080p60 MPEG-2 TS
(2016-09-14, 17:11)fyodor Wrote: Wait-Comcast is taking content that comes from the content provider at 1080i and changing the resolution to 720p? I knew that they did a lot of transrating but hadn't heard this before.What channels?
Apparently, they are doing it. I can't tell you the exact channels that are being converted. Here is a discussion about this: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...p?t=542203

These are some of the channels mentioned in that thread: BBCA, UP, MTVLive, UHD, VICE, COOKING, DIY, OWN.
Thanks wesk05.
Am I thus right that we can we summarize it as: 1920x540 or 1280x720 in "60Hz progressive equivalent"?

But I also understand that the core of the issue is that the set-top installed base is antiquated and do not support modern codecs, which would allow more pixels/Mbps. Which supports the" interlaced must die" opinion Wink
For the most demanding high speed sports viewing, I'm very happy with Interlaced 1920x1080i H264 @ around 15Mbps. Motion Adaptive VPU deinterlacing definately helps here on AML platforms. My parents 8 year old TiVo even supports H264 1080i

I see no reason why "interlaced must die" in that use scenario.

What is your source for 15Mbps live sports ? I'm in Aus too and thought not even foxtel HD goes up that high here ?
Just check a recording to be sure, as memory is not the best when tired, and it only peaks at about 7-8 Mbps on 7 Mate HD when the AFL footy is on. Still nice high quality stuff for sport viewing. Smile
Likely the same on Foxtel HD when they share telecast streams between each other. Smile

(2016-09-16, 08:20)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-09-14, 17:11)fyodor Wrote: Wait-Comcast is taking content that comes from the content provider at 1080i and changing the resolution to 720p? I knew that they did a lot of transrating but hadn't heard this before.What channels?
Apparently, they are doing it. I can't tell you the exact channels that are being converted. Here is a discussion about this: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...p?t=542203

These are some of the channels mentioned in that thread: BBCA, UP, MTVLive, UHD, VICE, COOKING, DIY, OWN.

Bleh. There's something especially ironic about the fact that UHD, which was supposed to be a showcase HD channel before a lot of cable channels we broadcast in HD, is itself getting downscaled.
(2016-09-16, 08:35)Koying Wrote: Thanks wesk05.
Am I thus right that we can we summarize it as: 1920x540 or 1280x720 in "60Hz progressive equivalent"?

But I also understand that the core of the issue is that the set-top installed base is antiquated and do not support modern codecs, which would allow more pixels/Mbps. Which supports the" interlaced must die" opinion Wink

Well, there are lots of chicken-egg issues.

1. A lot of the broadcast infrastructure may be set up for 1080i (I am speculating -this isn't something I know a ton about) I've noticed that whole channel affiliate groups use the same resolution. The ABC families (ABC, ESPN, etc) all use 720p, same thing as do Fox, FX, Fox News, etc. Whereas all the NBC universal properties (NBC, USA, SYFY) all use 1080i. This suggest to me that there may be fixed infrastructure in the production/transmission chain that is stuck with certain resolutions and formats.

2. For cable equipment you're kind of limited by the limitations of oldest equipment. No one wants to do 1080p if it only works for 80 percent of customers.

3. I can't emphasize this one enough, that most consumers don't much care about video quality and won't really notice or care about the differences between 720p, 1080i and 1080pt

4. The quantity of people using computer/android tuner based DVRs as opposed to dedicated hardware that can handle interlacing fine are so commercially insignificant as to be unnoticeable.

5. Most of #4 are doing playback on X86 machines which also can handle interlacing fine.

So in short, getting rid of interlacing is hard and our concerns don't matter. On top of this, I think that most of the cable providers see IP based transmission as the future, rather than better quality QAM so they particularly have no reason to push for technical improvements to the existing system.
(2016-09-16, 08:35)Koying Wrote: Thanks wesk05.

Yes, you could summarize it that way. Anitquated cable boxes are indeed a problem. Comcast has been transitioning to MPEG-4 and IPTV. So, there will be a day when we can say RIP Interlaced, but that day is still far away.

(2016-09-16, 08:50)wrxtasy Wrote: My parents 8 year old TiVo even supports H264 1080i
Only series 4 and newer TiVos support H.264. TiVo Premiere was introduced only in March 2010. Buddy, get your timeline correct Wink
(2016-09-16, 23:12)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-09-16, 08:50)wrxtasy Wrote: My parents 8 year old TiVo even supports H264 1080i
Only series 4 and newer TiVos support H.264. TiVo Premiere was introduced only in March 2010. Buddy, get your timeline correct Wink
Ha ha, an off the top of my head rough estimate, yes Series 4 it is. Only 1.5 years off the mark !
A 6.5 year device tho is ancient in Tech terms. Wink

(2016-09-17, 04:22)wrxtasy Wrote: Ha ha, an off the top of my head rough estimate, yes Series 4 it is. Only 1.5 years off the mark !
A 6.5 year device tho is ancient in Tech terms. Wink
Rofl
IR Phone + Android Apps + Learning Universal Remote = STILL no control?

Is there any reason why my universal remote won't "learn" commands for the Nvidia Shield from my Android phone?

What's working:
I have a Galaxy S4 which has a built in IR blaster. I have downloaded the apps SURE and Anymote. I am easily able to teach my universal remote commands from my phone while using these apps. For example, I used my phone, the SURE app, and the SURE app's profile (code) for my Sony receiver, and I was able to teach my universal remote the receiver's commands. In addition to what is also working, both of these apps have "profiles" for the Nvidia Shield. When using JUST my phone, and the Nvidia profile from within the SURE app I have total control over the Shield by just pointing my phone at it and sending commands. --Well most things, the voice search isn't work.

Here are screenshots of those two apps with Nvidia's profile loaded: http://imgur.com/a/eC4fN

What's not working:
Using my phone and the profile for the nvidia shield from within the SURE app (or Anymote), when I try to teach my universal remote the Nvidia commands it acts like it's accepted the command (it flashes). However, my universal remote won't control the Nvidia shield. Why is this?

The shield DOES have an IR sensor, it accepts commands from my phone's IR blaster. But when those same commands are taught to my universal remote... it doesn't work? I'm so confused. I thought that maybe these apps use some type of "blocking" so you can't teach a remote commands. But that's not the case since it works fine doing the same but learning commands for my receiver.

Basically I'm just trying to use my (non-harmony) universal remote to control my entire home theater system. And not fumble through a bunch of different remotes. Has anyone else figured this out either this way or another similar work-around?

Thanks!
Just got the Shield last week.

What Skins are people using with SPMC?
Right now I am trying to tweak the titan skin to my liking

Also I am coming from WMC for DVR/Live TV. What options might give same feel/options as WMC?
I prefer Aeon Nox, but when it comes to skins, but.....to each his own.

For Live TV + DVR, you'll either need a HDHomeRun or Tablo tuner, both have add-ons for Kodi as well as apps for Android TV.

The Tablo has a built in DVR function, but is limited to OTA in the US and Canada. You won't be able to use it with cable/sat.

HDHomeRun tuners will require you to run a PVR backend or use their beta DVR feature. Also Plex has a new beta DVR feature for HDHomeRun tuners for their server, but that requires you be a Plex Pass member and although you can integrate PMS with Kodi via the PlexKodiConnect add-on, I'm not sure if it will work with the DVR feature.

EDIT: If you're wanting to use a USB tuner, then that is not supported on the Shield, but should be (as well as have a built in DVR feature) once Android 7.0 arrives.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-09-10, 16:17)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2016-09-08, 04:17)Taftus Wrote: Anyway my issue is that when I play a movie (MKV) and Kodi will auto put my TV in to 24hz which I prefer and when I pause or stop movie it will go back to 60Hz which have been working fine. But now when I play a movie, and suddenly random it give me black screen and put my TV to 60Hz. And than randomly it put back to 24Hz and than again give me black screen randomly and put it back to 60Hz. Pretty annoying when I am watching a movie and gives black screen.
Is there a new settings or something that I have missed?

What is your refresh setting, Always or On start/stop? Try the other to what you have, sounds like always, which is what I use and I have found content with variable frame rates which is fun.

Sorry been away so I didn't check the respond. I have it set as On start/stop. I have tried Always which still does the same thing. Since latest update and Kodi, things have just been wrong for me.
Not sure what I can do because I have never touch any settings because it been working fine.
  • 200(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9