• 205(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-10-29, 06:00)Matalo Wrote: A lot of us are quite unhappy. Unfortunately not a large enough number to have it matter.

This is my best attempt to summarize the issues:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...3/#5006793

Quite honestly people really should be forewarned about them.

As to the "YCBCR color space setting lost after frame rate is adjusted".

People should be aware that there were 2 separate issues with 3.2. One was when YCbCr was selected and frame rate would switch the Shield would still output RGB. The other was when setting the "Color space" in the Settings, when the frame rate would switch it would go back to RGB.

The first, at least on my end (though I can't definitively say) appears to be fixed. The second is still a bug and requires setting the Color space then preforming a hard reboot (pulling the plug).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-10-29, 07:49)Tinwarble Wrote: As to the "YCBCR color space setting lost after frame rate is adjusted".

People should be aware that there were 2 separate issues with 3.2. One was when YCbCr was selected and frame rate would switch the Shield would still output RGB. The other was when setting the "Color space" in the Settings, when the frame rate would switch it would go back to RGB.

The first, at least on my end (though I can't definitively say) appears to be fixed. The second is still a bug and requires setting the Color space then preforming a hard reboot (pulling the plug).
I can say quite confidently that the first issue is not fixed. The second doesn't seem to be a problem at all for me. See post #3071
(2016-10-29, 08:05)wesk05 Wrote: I can say quite confidently that the first issue is not fixed. The second doesn't seem to be a problem at all for me.

Then that's odd, because all 3 of mine have the second issue and at least one other person doesn't appear to have the first issue either. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...4/#5007084

So your Shield doesn't do this (it's the reverse but whether it's YCbCr or RGB it's the same)?

That being said, I can neither confirm nor deny that YCbCr is being output when frame rate switching is being used (since my TV doesn't show what color space it's receiving). However, there are some slight differences between when RGB is set vs. YCbCr.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
For me it always changes to rgb when kodi/spmc adjusts the framerate when playing anything. The logs and my tv show me that it's rgb. When i stop the video, the shield will still be set to ycbcr. By the way this used to be a prblem as well, but that issue goes away after a reboot(on 3.2 as well).

Essentially what wesk said.

Edit: a possible method of checking if your tv is outputting in rgb. Your tv might have a setting to set the hdmi black level, this matches the dynamic range option that the shield also has when using rgb. In any case when something outputs in ycbcr, that hdmi black setting is disabled on both of my televisions.
(2016-10-29, 09:17)Matalo Wrote: By the way this used to be a prblem as well, but that issue goes away after a reboot(on 3.2 as well).

Yes, that is what I was referring too, but it requires a reboot after changing the color space.

Quote:Edit: a possible method of checking if your tv is outputting in rgb. Your tv might have a setting to set the hdmi black level, this matches the dynamic range option that the shield also has when using rgb. In any case when something outputs in ycbcr, that hdmi black setting is disabled on both of my televisions.

Nope, not on mine.

EDIT: I just ran a log and indeed it is switching to RGB on refresh rate switching. So time to bitch to my contact over a Nvidia since I was explicitly told that this would be fixed.
But does anyone really SEE a difference between RGB and YCbCr? If all conversion in the machines is done correctly I don't really see a problem, nor do I experience a problem.
(2016-10-29, 09:29)pameijer Wrote: But does anyone really SEE a difference between RGB and YCbCr? If all conversion in the machines is done correctly I don't really see a problem, nor do I experience a problem.

Per se, not really. Problem is that it switches to RGB Full, crushing blacks (at least for me).
Maybe something can be done at the TV side, though, never really looked into it.

PS "Not really" is for the average joe. I'm sure wesk05 would object Wink
(2016-10-29, 09:29)pameijer Wrote: But does anyone really SEE a difference between RGB and YCbCr? If all conversion in the machines is done correctly I don't really see a problem, nor do I experience a problem.

I honestly don't even know at this point. I believe that there is less banding in the colors when i do comparisons. I also know that my dune, mede8er and bluray player are using ycbcr instead of rgb. I was very surprised the shield didn't when i first got it.
(2016-10-29, 10:59)Koying Wrote: Per se, not really. Problem is that it switches to RGB Full, crushing blacks (at least for me).
Maybe something can be done at the TV side, though, never really looked into it.

That I'm not seeing, it's still RGB limited for me.

Code:
10-29 03:47:01.315   222   222 W hwcomposer: New DC mode 1920 x 1080 @ 23.98 Hz (RGB/8/Rec.709/cea/limited)
(2016-10-29, 09:11)Tinwarble Wrote: Then that's odd, because all 3 of mine have the second issue and at least one other person doesn't appear to have the first issue either.
So your Shield doesn't do this (it's the reverse but whether it's YCbCr or RGB it's the same)?
I guess, I didn't quite understand the second problem you were describing. The video helped and yes, I also have the same problem. It looks like you do have to do a reboot for the change in colorspace to stick.
(2016-10-29, 10:59)Koying Wrote: PS "Not really" is for the average joe. I'm sure wesk05 would object Wink
Actually, in this particular case I may give the Shield some slack. The difference between YCbCr and RGB Limited is not much on the Shield.

(2016-10-29, 11:07)Tinwarble Wrote: That I'm not seeing, it's still RGB limited for me.
I haven't actually checked what the output is. As I mentioned elsewhere, Shield doesn't transmit quantization range bits in the AVI InfoFrame. You have to manually adjust the black levels on the display (if there is an option), other wise you are stuck with the display's native mode for RGB.
(2016-10-29, 11:19)wesk05 Wrote: Actually, in this particular case I may give the Shield some slack. The difference between YCbCr and RGB Limited is not much on the Shield.

I would also, if I when I asked specifically about the color space/frame rate switching bug I hadn't been told "Yes, the fix [frame rate switching] is in reference to color space." Especially since this came from "on high" and not the normal minions.
(2016-10-29, 11:32)Tinwarble Wrote: I would also, if I when I asked specifically about the color space/frame rate switching bug I hadn't been told "Yes, the fix [frame rate switching] is in reference to color space." Especially since this came from "on high" and not the normal minions.

I was giving slack for Shield's "picture quality", not for how nVIDIA has handled this issue. BTW, I hadn't beta tested this update.
Note that the "RGB Full" thing is just an assumption by me, as the symptoms look the same (crushed blacks).
It might very well be something different under the hood.
(2016-10-29, 11:44)wesk05 Wrote: I was giving slack for Shield's "picture quality", not for how nVIDIA has handled this issue. BTW, I hadn't beta tested this update.

Sorry, misunderstood. Tongue

I wasn't a beta tester on this either, though I did get the preview update early (by less than a week) but that's because I'm in a different program. But because of my current schedule I had very little time to do any kind of testing.
  • 205(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9