• 223(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
Yes, everything that works on the "new" Shield will work on the old Shield. As a matter of fact the new Pro model is the exact same device as the old model, just with a new controller.

Per Manuel from Nvidia Customer Care:

ManuelGuzman Wrote:The SHIELD Pro is the same device but updated with the newer controller.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-07, 04:57)Tatts4Life Wrote: I'm curious if the spot will work on the old shield? I just watched a video of their keynote and that looks pretty cool. I like how it's the size of an air freshener so you won't even notice it. Will be interesting to see how much one costs too.
According to cnet: "The Spot mic will cost $49.99." And am certain that the new Nougat update will bring the Spot to the original Shield TV.
Man I'm really surprised Nvidia is literally selling the same hardware for Shield 2. Kind of a let down, but its still a pretty darn good piece of hardware..

(2017-01-07, 05:47)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Man I'm really surprised Nvidia is literally selling the same hardware for Shield 2. Kind of a let down, but its still a pretty darn good piece of hardware..

It's been asked many times now, but I'll ask again. Why is it a let down? What do you think new hardware would bring to the table that can't already be done with the current hardware?

Until the software catches up, specifically Android, new hardware would do nothing to improve the experience.

If anything it should make both old and new owners happy. It means that Nviida isn't abandoning capable hardware for something new and shiny (which would probably bring no real value) and that there will be long term support going forward. If you pay a premium for good hardware it should last you a while and you should get support for it much longer than cheaper devices.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
^^^^^^
This

The Old/New Shield its a better device than it was at their release, new features and polish Firmware its the way to go, the hardware is more than capable to do more 2 years without being obsolete.
Anyone can name one manufacturer than support their Hardware in this niche media player market more than 2 years ?

The Youtube 4k HDR is coming to Shield and some of the specifications of HDMI 2.1 can be obtain by FW upgrade, so Dynamic HDR is a possibility in the Shield.
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2017-01-07, 06:09)Tinwarble Wrote: ...
It's been asked many times now, but I'll ask again. Why is it a let down? What do you think new hardware would bring to the table that can't already be done with the current hardware?
For me I must say I hoped for a new remote controller which is more like this one:
I like that it has all relevant buttons on it and those are real buttons. I doubt it will be possible to buy such an remote seperatly...
Apart from the remote the Shield was in its first version already great.
Hi friends

I am now using Xtreamer Prodigy 4K Android 4.4 (Very Old With problems)

So

I am confused I do not know buy NVIDIA SHIELD 2 or Minix NEO Z83-4

what is the best SHIELD 2 With Android Or Minix NEO Z83-4 With Windows

In Features NVIDIA SHIELD 2 Much better Minix NEO Z83-4

And I I liked Kodi in Android With external player (MX Player)

So do you good quality NVIDIA SHIELD With (MX Player) ?

Now I'm really confused I do not know what to do

Kodi With NVIDIA SHIELD With external player (MX Player)

Or

Kodi With Minix NEO Z83-4 With external player (MPC-HC & madVR)

Please help me .
(2017-01-07, 09:44)KaBoS Wrote: Hi friends

I am now using Xtreamer Prodigy 4K Android 4.4 (Very Old With problems)

So

I am confused I do not know buy NVIDIA SHIELD 2 or Minix NEO Z83-4

what is the best SHIELD 2 With Android Or Minix NEO Z83-4 With Windows

In Features NVIDIA SHIELD 2 Much better Minix NEO Z83-4

And I I liked Kodi in Android With external player (MX Player)

So do you good quality NVIDIA SHIELD With (MX Player) ?

Now I'm really confused I do not know what to do

Kodi With NVIDIA SHIELD With external player (MX Player)

Or

Kodi With Minix NEO Z83-4 With external player (MPC-HC & madVR)

Please help me .

.. and regarding pure picture quality, how is Nvidia Shield? Is it worst better or equal compared to zidoo or himedia boxes?
I own a Zidoo X9S (still bugged for my use ), the picture quality is very good to my eyes. But I've never had the chance to do comparison
Im starting to get feelings that i should stick to my current wetek play 2 for a little while longer...
Hearing to much things that turn me off at the moment... First comments said that the new remote is made out of plastik instead of metal... wich started giving me budget vibes.
Now im hearing the remote doesnt have charging and relies on a button battery, which needs to be replaced when its empty.
Realy getting the feeling that nvidia is only releasing this for more profitible sales.... i think im gonna cancel my pre order for now.
(2017-01-07, 09:03)Vlaves Wrote: For me I must say I hoped for a new remote controller which is more like this one:
I like that it has all relevant buttons on it and those are real buttons. I doubt it will be possible to buy such an remote seperatly...

Which remote is this in the picture?
it has nothing to do with the shield... its the remote of a fire television that was shown at ces.
(2017-01-07, 09:44)KaBoS Wrote: I am confused I do not know buy NVIDIA SHIELD 2 or Minix NEO Z83-4
The simple Answer is do you need to use Android Apps. Particularly for viewing Protected online, streamed video content very easily from Apps like Netflix, Amazon etc ?

Do you want a device that is basically Plug N Play and only having to use one App for Kodi use only - that being the Kodi for Android TV optimised App - SPMC ?
(no need for MX Player at all)

Would you like to Voice Search your entire Kodi media Library. ?

Need ChromeCasting capabilities ?

Wireless remote controllers ?

Android TV, hands down is much easier to use as a integrated, versatile, flexible media player device compared to Windows.

Personally I would go with the device that is the easiest to use day to day, with fewer bugs and better ongoing support.
Otherwise for Android devices you turn into a media player Firmware test pilot.
This is very important for any Android media player.

If I wanted Video Post Processing of the decoded video I would fiddle with my TV's video Enhancement settings instead of buying any inferior Android Kodi media player.

Next question...
What type of media do you consume ?
List codecs, resolutions, audio etc, particularly important for upscaling ?

I'm not that clued in with MPC-HC & madVR on Windows, but I believe you will very likely get better quality video upscaling of non 1080p content using that combo than with the Shield. Someone with more knowledge about video upscaling on both devices will be able to give you a better answer.

Are you aware of the MPC-HC External Player drawbacks as listed HERE ?

Nvidia Shield is going to be way ahead in features compared with Other Media player, besides now is almost the size of smartphone..

See more at slashgear website

The BIG features:

Play all Media from NAS/Hard Drive up to 4K HDR with Passthrough Audio
Plex Server Built-in
4K HDR game streaming / Geforce Now / Online Multiplayer gaming from Ubiplay / Streaming games from Nvidia-powered PC.
SmartThings hub with IFTTT
Zigbee radio and a Z wave radio (Security systems, Home automation, Lighting controls)
Google Home unit all-in-one
Streaming Apps up to 4K HDR (Vudu 4K HDR, Amazon Prime 4K HDR , Netflix 4K HDR, Google Movie 4K HDR, Youtube 4K HDR & 360-degree videos etc )
Picture-in-picture (video plays in the corner while use menu screen).
Game controller + TV remote
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2017-01-07, 09:03)Vlaves Wrote:
(2017-01-07, 06:09)Tinwarble Wrote: ...
For me I must say I hoped for a new remote controller which is more like this one:

If you also have an av receiver, I would recommend investing in a logitech harmony remote. It works great with the shield! the only disadvantage is the lack of a microphone on the harmony controller (for voice search).
My only gripe with the shield's remote control function is that its IR receiver cannot receive keyboard presses. It would be convenient if it did so I could send macro commands to kodi. I can still do it with the yatse app on my phone, but still.... through the remote would be more convenient.
(2017-01-07, 10:36)busta.rhymes Wrote: Im starting to get feelings that i should stick to my current wetek play 2 for a little while longer...
Hearing to much things that turn me off at the moment... First comments said that the new remote is made out of plastik instead of metal... wich started giving me budget vibes.
Now im hearing the remote doesnt have charging and relies on a button battery, which needs to be replaced when its empty.
Realy getting the feeling that nvidia is only releasing this for more profitible sales.... i think im gonna cancel my pre order for now.

The old remote was not all metal, the top was still plastic. But that doesn't make it any different than any other remote out there. Even my Harmony Smart Control Hub remote is all plastic and uses a "coin" battery, which I've only had to replace once in nearly 3 yrs. Plus the new remote has an added IR blaster.

(2017-01-07, 12:25)kapoukos Wrote: If you also have an av receiver, I would recommend investing in a logitech harmony remote. It works great with the shield! the only disadvantage is the lack of a microphone on the harmony controller (for voice search).

Which probably doesn't matter since the new controller is an "always listening" device.
  • 223(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9