• 378(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2018-03-14, 01:26)mkohman Wrote: @Warner360 here are some pics of the settings.. I hope it's OK.. If anything needs changing I would appreciate if you could please let me know.. Thanks.. It is set to doubling very high.. Pictures are rubbish as cheap phone camera.. ImageImage

I’m on my phone, so I can’t see the images clearly. It doesn’t look like you are upscaling if you are using a 4K display. Read the draw field. This means you have an error in your display modes. They should all start with the prefix 2160p not 1080p. When actually upscaling, you will have turn down your luma quality setting (start with chroma upscaling at low and image upscaling at medium). This is with NGU Sharp in both circumstances. You may have to set both to low.
Thank you I will try that.. I am not having any frame drops or repeats at ngu sharp high either... Just to let you know my current projector is a Sony hw40es which is 1080p..this movie being played is so bluray 1080p not 4K..I am still awaiting my JVC to arrive so I can't check the 4K stuff yet as it plays all choppy and colourless at the moment (dull colour)..
as long as the picture looks smooth with no judder or sound deviation and the picture looks good to YOUR eyes then i would say a job well done :-)

at this point i would write down the settings and then go play with other settings. if you mess up then its easy to go back to your written settings.
Ok read your last post. You are at 1080p. Well is less stressful to madVR. To upscale, you need a 720p source.

For 4K, make sure hardware acceleration is enabled (D3D 11 or copy-back). Then focus on image downscaling. Start with Bicubic150 + AR. And you can’t use 4K pass through. Change your HDR settings to convert HDR -> SDR.
must say your new projector looks the muts nutz 444 @60hz and 4k HDR loverly jubberly :-) wish i had that kinda pennies for gear.. lol
Thank you very much.. I just did what you said.. I changed hdr from passthrough to convert to sdr and colour came back to normal.. The only thing I could get smooth playback was selecting dxva in image downscaling..
his projector is HDR so he needs to passthough and have DIRECT3D11 enabled in MADVR.

EDIT - oops sorry, I thought the new projector had arrived, my bad.
Nope not yet but when it does do I change copy back to d3d11 what does that do? Thanks
Cheers dude.. I actual love the Sony picture its amazing but wanted HDR so let's see what the JVC has to offer..
(2018-03-14, 02:17)mkohman Wrote: Nope not yet but when it does do I change copy back to d3d11 what does that do? Thanks

D3D 11 doesn’t use system memory to copy-back the decoded data. It is the same thing in the end, so either will work.

There might be something in trade quality for performance to help with 4K downscaling. This uses a lot of resources. Chroma upscaling is applied and then the image is downscaled. You might be able to avoid the chroma upscaling with trade quality for performance. I can’t remember. You could be stuck with DXVA2, which is fine.
Thank you.. DXVA looks absolutely fine very clean and sharp.. Colours also spot on..tbh I won't be doing any downscaling at all once the 4K projector arrives.. Will only be up scaling bluray to 4K that's about it.. Thank for all your help really appreciate it.. Thanks to everyone who has helped tonight.. Really appreciate it guys [emoji106]

Edit : Also I forgot to say my current motherboard in the htpc is an LGA1156 socket, which has a PCI x16 version 1..the GPU is PCI-E 3.0 does it mean I'm still good and won't need to change the motherboard if the picture is smooth with ngu sharp high setting? Also have the Intel i3 530 2.93ghz..CPU load is around 40%..sometimes it does creep up especially on 3D..Will it be worth upgrading to something better? I can grab a cheap CPU off ebay as these are old generations.. If so which i3 or i5 do you reccomend please? I don't think this board takes i7.. If not necessary than I'd rather give it a miss.. I have 4gb ram but gonna up it to 8gb because its so cheap.. Thanks.. Would like to know your thoughts..
unless your CPU is at 100% then you have headroom and until such times there is no need to upgrade as its your GPU that is doing most of the hard work.

again unless you run out of available RAM then no need to upgrade.

if you start to encounter glitches while watching movies and your not running your CPU, GPU or RAM at full throttle then i would look at a new motherboard for an updated pcie buss.

at the moment your system is doing a fine job of 1080p if you discover when you get your new projector its not playing smoothly then start to look at your resources to see which component is lagging in power. if on the other hand your system is playing everything including 4k HDR smoothly then the system is doing its job and no need to upgrade.

you will be like me and your HTPC is just for watching movies so no need for multitasking and masses of computing power.

its obsessive gamer junkies that 'must have' the latest and greatest massive computing power. not watching movies.

think about stand-alone 4k bluray players, how much computing power do they have? not a lot is my answer.
Thank you.. The last point you made was a brilliant example.. Your right.. My ram is at 58 percent and CPU at 20 to 30 ish... Sometimes less depends on the movie I think.. Image
If I have to be totally honest.. The way things are looking now with NGU sharp high settings.. I am starting to wonder if I actually really need 4K or if I would actually notice any difference... I may consider cancelling my order for the JVC.. Any thoughts at all?

The picture is so good on my current projector I can not see what I will gain.. May be worth waiting a few more years for real 4K projector processing to drop a little.. Here are some pics taken from my crappie phone cameras.. Doesn't do it any justice but you get the idea.. ImageImage
4k hdr is absolutely spectacular picture quality, its not quite the jump in quality that dvd to bluray was but its a step up. its the 'condensed' pixel count that makes it so life like, well that and the higher brightness of hdr without over saturating the picture.

its not exact but i will give an example, lets say a pixel in dvd is 1, bluray would have 4 inside that 1 and 4k would be 8 inside that 1, those 8 pixels can also change different colour so instead of lets say a single red pixel in dvd you now have 8 shades of red or even different colours. the denser the pixel count better the picture quality and the bigger you can go in size of screen.

is your upgrade worth the money, that depends on how much you consider watching movies a part of your life and how deep your pockets are.
  • 378(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47