Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Hi guys.

I've recently upgraded to RC1 of Kodi 17 Krypton. I gotta say, I love it - for the most part.

But unfortunately RC1 has introduced some rather boring problems.

It seems to be related to calling OSD during playback. It simply crashes Kodi with the notice: "The application Kodi has had an issue." - Or something along those lines. It has the same kind of error box madVR seems to utilize.

To walk you through the steps:
1. I start playback.
2. At some point I want to pause the playback. OSD is called and it works fine (for a few minutes into the movie.)
3. I resume playback.
4. I need to go to the toilet, 14-15 minutes into the show, so I pause playback, OSD is called but before it shows up the renderer (or player) crashes and takes Kodi with it down.

In Jarvis I had similar issues but I could solve it by going through all the rendering tickers in madVR such as; use separate device for DXVA or presentation, use windowed presentation, use 11 instead of 9 and so on.

Before Krypton RC1 I had a golden setting in the rendering window that made everything work. How ever, disabling everything and then trying one ticker at a time, this is not the case in Krypton.

Something is going wrong when the OSD is trying to show up after it has not been displayed for a while into playback. This is rather annoying when I use the "UpNext plugin" and when ever it's about to show up, it ****'s up the player and crashes everything. It also happens, like I said, with the regular OSD. So it seems to be a drawing issue on top of the player.

Now, I have been using DSplayer for a long time now and I know no one is currently developing on this besides the occasional updates we get when we're moving to new versions of Kodi, I am simply reporting these issues because I hope some one who has been doing similar troubleshooting and perhaps found the cause.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. And I have assumed, as you can hear, that it's something in the rendering and parsing control to OSD. If you lot have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am on the latest madVR install (from madVR homepage and I believe it's 32-bit.) So everything should be up to date. nVidia drivers are the same. Smile
- It's all content, not limited to a certain container or resolution. Smile

I have tried both Windowed or exclusive fullscreen.

I output audio with my default sound device so that shouldn't be an issue either.

I do understand that there might not be any solution to this and that DSplayer is slowly going downhill when issues like these happen that has not happened prior. It's sad to see but I hope we can find solutions to these sort of issues ourselves and jrig this to work. Smile

DSplayer is lovely because it utilizes OSD, and as long as team Kodi refuses to do hardware rendering directly in Kodi this is the best bet as MPC is external and the lack of OSD is horrible on an HTPC with CEC control for ease of use from the couch. I tried going back to the new player in Krypton but it's still booty butt-cheeks compared to a renderer that utilizes the GPU.

Happy New Year to all of you,
/CuraeL

EDIT: I installed Krypton without DSplayer and installed everything 64-bit, LAV, MPC, madVR and SubFilter and set it all up and added MPC-HC as external player in Kodi and now everything runs smooth as butter. Amazing. But I'll have to make do without OSD it seems. Silly. But that's life. I can't stand this anymore, lol. It's been too long with weird issues in the DSplayer implementation. I hope one day to return and see it all working, and I'm so sorry I can't contribute with coding or anything to this project. I'm sad to see this happen as it's so much cooler to implement it into Kodi instead of this silly MPC-HC external thing. :/ I bye bye CEC control.

Messages In This Thread
Lockup on STOP issue resolved! - by MKANET - 2015-04-11, 21:59
RE: 4G aware patch - by MagikMark - 2015-09-08, 03:27
Alt-F4 no longer quits - by JeffA - 2015-10-31, 20:38
RE: Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows - by curael - 2017-01-08, 18:22
H265 playback - by rew88 - 2017-11-04, 00:41
RE: H265 playback - by ashlar - 2017-11-04, 16:21
RE: H265 playback - by rew88 - 2017-11-05, 01:34
RE: H265 playback - by ashlar - 2017-11-05, 16:48
RE: H265 playback - by rew88 - 2017-11-05, 23:08
RE: H265 playback - by ashlar - 2017-11-06, 12:00
Leia 18 - by terpsarlington - 2017-11-21, 03:51
RE: Leia 18 - by spencerjford - 2017-11-21, 06:24
Display Modes / Refresh Rates - by goofer69 - 2019-09-20, 00:19
RE: Display Modes / Refresh Rates - by ashlar - 2019-09-20, 00:39
RE: Display Modes / Refresh Rates - by ashlar - 2019-09-20, 19:35
DSPlayer 23.810 to 23.976 - by Runakanta - 2018-05-09, 03:24