Video judder on Fire TV
Using SPMC I definitely get DD & DTS direct to the amp via passthrough sometimes PCM pops up but it's still digital surround sound.
I can't remember in vanilla v16 what I got but I know I had issues and moved over to SPMC which fixed it.
Not sure I have any films with TrueHD or DTS-HD to test.
Then post a Debug Log of doing DTS and of doing AC3. Also check the settings you use for AC3, DTS. Is it Raw, is it IEC is it something else?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You're starting to talk beyond my current knowledge with Raw, IEC etc. Sad
I can post a debug log from SPMC v16 but this works anyway because of the hack I believe.
I've not tried v17 yet, can it be loaded alongside SPMC to run in tandem?

I wasn't really complaining about v17 like I said it's a problem with the AFTV2 OS level and don't think it'll be ever fully supported, they seem to have gone down the DD and DD+ route maybe it's a licensing thing.
(2016-11-10, 18:34)Calzor Suzay Wrote: I've not tried v17 yet, can it be loaded alongside SPMC to run in tandem?
Yes, both Kodi and SPMC can coexist on the same device.
(2016-11-10, 20:19)mjbxx Wrote: Yes, both Kodi and SPMC can coexist on the same device.

Is this documented somewhere or a guide?
(2016-11-11, 14:18)Calzor Suzay Wrote:
(2016-11-10, 20:19)mjbxx Wrote: Yes, both Kodi and SPMC can coexist on the same device.

Is this documented somewhere or a guide?
SPMC is a fork of Kodi, thereby making it a seperate app. As such, it can be installed side by side just like any other application. Unsure what kind of food you are referring to.
I'm still trying to understand if I can use Kodi 17 and get the sound I want before trying to install it buggering the FireTV up and my current SPMC install before having to reinstall it all...

Anyway today I saw when I played a video it said it was DTS HD Master Audio in SPMC/Kodi, now my amp just said PCM but it was playing what sounded like 5.1 discrete digital audio.
Now is that because SPMC/kodi is bringing it down to 5.1 but preserving the digital sound part?

If so would the same happen in Kodi 17? My amp can handle all sound formats but I only have 5.1 speakers.

My current settings are:-
Audio Output, Android, PCM
Number of Channels, 5.1
Output config, Optimized
Resample, High
Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio is greyed out non selectable
Enable passthrough
Passthrough output, Android, Raw passthrough
DD AC3, yes
DD+ E-AC3, yes
DTS capable, yes
As an aspiring cord cutter, I would like to know the cause and cure for the Kodi 17.4 / AFTV 2 juddering and audio sync issues?  Late to the party, I've been only using the Kodi /  AFTV 2 box combo to stream movies, network shows and sports, for the past 9 months, and it is the only combo that I've used to attempt to cut the cable.  

When streaming tv shows it seems that there is a prevailing judder, which is worse with some some networks and certain types of movie scenes.  However, the judder and out-of-sync-audio make watching the few paid live IPTV services that I subscribe to -particularly live sports- unwatchable.  

If there is no Kodi 17.4 /  AFTV 2 box fix, then is there a better non-juddering device for an aspiring cord-cutter with my viewing preferences?
Let list known problems:

- Kodi audio passthrough issues.
- very poor Live TV deinterlacing quality on the Fire TV's - leading to stuttering.
- nor very well sorted Firmware for varied 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60 frames per second mixed video playback.
- likely Kodi dynamic refresh switching is not working properly.

The FireTV's are paid for media streaming platforms using Android Apps such as Prime Video, Netflix, Youtube etc.
They are not well sorted out Kodi Krypton media playback platforms - in fact Amazon go out of there way trying to prevent easy ways to install Kodi with various blacklists.

If you want well sorted 1080p / 4K Kodi - avoid all Android boxes all together.
The best of the breed if you still need Android is the NVIDIA Shield - I would still avoid it for demanding Kodi use tho.

(2017-10-10, 05:34)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want well sorted 1080p / 4K Kodi - avoid all Android boxes all together.
The best of the breed if you still need Android is the NVIDIA Shield - I would still avoid it for demanding Kodi use tho.

I wouldn't [avoid] , especially now that the Shield is capable of resolution switching.

And the mixed HDMi issue had been fixed (mostly anyway, there still may be an issue with 10bit).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-10, 08:56)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-10-10, 05:34)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want well sorted 1080p / 4K Kodi - avoid all Android boxes all together.
I wouldn't [avoid] , especially now that the Shield is capable of resolution switching.
Yes agree about Auto Resolution switching - finally. Smile
Nice move by NVIDIA after I've been banging on about poor quality 1080p > 4K picture upscaling for a while when used with 4K TV's, which can be worked around with 1080p / 4K Auto Resolution switching.

Quote:And the mixed HDMi issue had been fixed (mostly anyway, there still may be an issue with 10bit).
What do you mean may ?
There is no may - its a well documented colorspace switching bug.

Most local storage 4K content is going to be 10bit and that is not working properly with 1080p / 4K Auto Resolution switching:
https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/1060

Neither is HDR > SDR - Kodi Krypton colorspace mapping working either if you have a non HDR 10bit TV.

Let not even start talking about Android Kodi Krypton deinterlacing reliability and Kodi PVR usage on the Shield.

Remember I said "demanding" Kodi usage in the post above.
These problems obviously do not apply to all users - but would directly affect me personally if I were buying an "All in One" Kodi Box.

Yes I have high Kodi standards these days Wink

The 10 bit issue isn't with colorspace, that's separate, it's with frame rate switching which can be over come by selecting rec. 2020 12bit.  Yes it's an issue but not a big one.

As for "demanding" Kodi use (which is subjective anyway), if that's your case then you aren't concerned with 4K anyway since there is currently no way to rip 4K video.  Anything you would have would either be pirated, downloaded from YouTube or home videos.

And if you are looking for a "all in one" box then you would have to except that none are perfect, not even the Shield, though it is getting closer and closer with each update.  And dual booting doesn't make something "all in one", especially since that does not meet the WAF. Wink   If you're going to dual boot then why not go ahead and manually change resolution/colorspace?

Also deinterlacing  on Kodi works fine, just update to v18 nightly and if you need a PVR for Kodi use you can just install the TVHeadEnd client app linked in my Shield thread and use it for Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-10, 11:43)Tinwarble Wrote: The 10 bit issue isn't with colorspace, that's separate, it's with frame rate switching which can be over come by selecting rec. 2020 12bit.  Yes it's an issue but not a big one.
So it is an issue now and further custom workarounds need to be done and remembered for each setup and file played. Wink
I don't care how small the issue is. It either works or not for a 4K Kodi media player.

Quote:And if you are looking for a "all in one" box then you would have to except that none are perfect, not even the Shield, though it is getting closer and closer with each update.
Agreed Shield is getting closer. Its not there yet. Baby steps, crawl before walking.

All in one Kodi box, please read again what I wrote above - > ie. All Kodi core features - Auto everything working properly.
I agree there is no one absolute "Perfect" solution but Linux based Kodi (excluding Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake) is more "Perfect" than Android Kodi each and everytime.

Quote:And dual booting doesn't make something "all in one", especially since that does not meet the WAF. Wink   If you're going to dual boot then why not go ahead and manually change resolution/colorspace?
I'm talking a "Pure" Kodi experience.
LibreELEC or OSMC boots straight into Kodi - why would I even need Android when all I want is Kodi ?  
Android just gets in the way if all you want is demanding Kodi usage.

No idea why you bought Dual boot into the conversation.

WAF = boot straight into Kodi without workarounds or remembering custom setups to get things working properly when you throw varied and mixed 1080p / 4K local content at the media player.

Quote:Also deinterlacing  on (Android) Kodi works fine, just update to v18 nightly and if you need a PVR for Kodi use you can just install the TVHeadEnd client app linked in my Shield thread and use it for Kodi.
C,mon,
Seriously how can you recommend Alpha Nightly Software as a daily driver setup to someone thats just ludicrous !
And why should I need to use again another seperate App just to use PVR functionality that is already a core function and built into Kodi Krypton ?
Another unnecessary workaround.

(2017-10-10, 12:36)wrxtasy Wrote: So it is an issue now and further custom workarounds need to be done and remembered for each setup and file played. Wink
I don't care how small the issue is. It either works or not for a 4K Kodi media player.

No, you just set it to 12bit in the Android settings, there's no "remembering for each setup and file played".

Quote:All in one Kodi box, please read again what I wrote above - > ie. All Kodi core features - Auto everything working properly.
I agree there is no one absolute "Perfect" solution but Linux based Kodi (excluding Intel Apollo / Kaby Lake) is more "Perfect" than Android Kodi each and everytime.

I did read what you wrote = "These problems obviously do not apply to all users - but would directly affect me personally if I were buying an "All in One" Kodi Box."

Quote:No idea why you bought Dual boot into the conversation.

Because this is the ANDROID forum not the LibreELEC or Linux sub-forum, no more than it is a iOS or Windows sub-forum.  Users are here because they want Android and they want Kodi, not just a pure Kodi experience.  That means either a dual-boot setup or a dual device setup if you are talking about LE.

Quote:C,mon,
Seriously how can you recommend Alpha Nightly Software as a daily driver setup to someone thats just ludicrous !
And why should I need to use again another seperate App just to use PVR functionality that is already a core function and built into Kodi Krypton ?

Because that is what I use for a daily driver and it works better than any current v17.x release.  How is it "ludicrous" if it works better than the official release?

And why wouldn't you, on Android, use a separate app?

EDIT: I said TVHE client and meant SERVER. Clients are available in Kodi even for Android
For a PVR server to work it needs to be running constantly, something that doesn't happen if you use Kodi because it can be closed if resources are needed.  And how is it any different if you are using say HDHomeRun as your front end and you need separate software/device for their DVR solution?

Also, PVR servers are not built into Kodi, only LE, so no that is no already a core function.
(2017-10-10, 19:23)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2017-10-10, 12:36)wrxtasy Wrote: So it is an issue now and further custom workarounds need to be done and remembered for each setup and file played. Wink

No, you just set it to 12bit in the Android settings, there's no "remembering for each setup and file played".

Ok now what happens to the color space when auto resolution switching from a 4K resolution back to a 1080p resolution. ?

Quote:C,mon,

(2017-10-10, 19:23)Tinwarble Wrote: Because that is what I use for a daily driver and it works better than any current v17.x release.  How is it "ludicrous" if it works better than the official release?
Just confirming you want me to recommend buggy Alpha Android Kodi v18.x software for all Android users going forward when there are better working Kodi Krypton options available ?

Some people really are willing to put up with anything it seems not matter the Software quality or number of workarounds and continual settings fiddling needed.

Software is tagged Alpha for a reason, and bearing in mind no other stable Kodi Krypton can be installed whilst Kodi v18.x is installed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video judder on Fire TV2