SMB stops working randomly
Hello,

I have an issue with my HTPC running XBMC on OpenELEC v 5.08. I have a netgear READYSHARE drive attached to my computer and network, and my HTPC pulls from the drive via SMB. Randomly, my SMB will stop working. When I try to play a video (Movie, TV show, Anime) it will say the file no longer exists and ask if I want to remove it from my library. The drive works fine on the PC, and I can play the video file fine there. It eventually fixes iteself. Also, for whatever reason, playlists for TV shows and Anime take about 4 minutes to load the first video, then have no issues after that.

This problem is driving me absolutely crazy, and I have no idea what is causing it. Can anyone help? Computer is running via Powerline adapted BTW. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Might be an issue with the powerline adapter. When OpenElec (for whatever reason) losses its network connection it could be, that it doesn't connect itself again if the connection is stable again. So I think you have to reboot first.

You can also try to set up a "wait for network" option in OpenElec settings (not Kodi system settings) in case your OE machine boots too fast. This will prevent starting OpenElec before the network service is started.

For other checks you can use a normal Cat.x cable to the NAS to see, if the problem is the powerline adapter. Just for a test.

You can also provide a Debug Log with debug logging enabled. Maybe this will tell more
I don't think the issue is the powerline adapter, as I have unplugged and plugged it back in several times, and rebooting the HTPC does not resolve the issue ever. It just goes away over time. I will definitely try the Wait for Network option when I get home tonight to see if that helps at all. Also, no other devices connected to the powerline adapter ever have any issues.

I feel like it is somewhere in the XBMC settings, or the router settings, that are causing the issue. But I have changed everything I can think of with no success. Thanks for the help!
And dont forget to provide the Debug Log as this will tell most
Sounds more like a problem with this READYSHARE (whatever that is). What do it's smb logs tell you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry, I just realized that I put netflix READYSHARE. Its actually Netgear. Its the USB port on the back of a netgear router. The Wait for network didnt fix the issue. In fact now its no longer even fixing itself. I cant connect to SMB at all anymore. Still trying to get the debug log, sorry I have been really busy. Ill try and get that tonight.
USB? Now I am actually confused. What is actually providing SMB. The netgear, or is it plugged into a computer that is doing the smb?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a netgear router that has a USB connection on it that I have an external HDD plugged into. Then when its plugged into that, I can hook any computer into the network and it sees the drive. My HTPC running OpenELEC is connecting to that via SMB. Sorry for any confusion.
OK often those router based SMB servers are pretty weak and unreliable. OK for sharing pics and storing the kid's homework, but unreliable to full on media serving. Build or buy yourself a NAS.
I have another HTPC at a different house that uses the router based SMB (Asus router) that has never had any of these issues. Of course that is running Frodo instead of Kodi. I have also connected one of the WD my cloud drives to this network/HTPC combination and had the same exact issues. I would love to use an NAS, but I dont actually live at this location, so putting that kind of money into it isn't really something I want to do.

Also, if I go to add ANY kind of SMB device, it simply times out. It doesnt even get to the option to add the router SMB drive. I don't think in this case that it is the actual sharing or the drive (It could definitely be the router or router settings).

Also to add, when it times out, I get an error 2: Share not available. I have attempted the basic fix for this (Add the IP directly instead of using the SMB option, and this does not solve anything). Thanks again for all the assistance.
try a different firmware version on your router

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB stops working randomly0