Please help me, No DTS passthrough
Good afternoon forum.
while i didn't post here a lot i've been a xbmc/kodi user for a long time.

My system is connected in this way :

[PC] ---(HDMI)---> [TV] ---(S/PDIF)---> [SOUND SYSTEM]

Mediacenter spec:
MOBO: Asus P8H77-I
CPU: Intel i3-3225
GPU: Integrated Intel HD 4000
RAM: 2x4gb generic ram
HDD: 5x WD Red 3TB

OLD Television
LG 47LA740s

Audio System
Logitech Z906 (hardware decoding of DTS and DolbyDigital)

In the past 1and half year I've run different version of ubuntu (13.10, 14.04 ) and XBMC/KODI 12,13 and 14 being able to passthrough both dolby digital and DTS without any issue using both VLC and KODI.
I just had to enable the optical digital output on the television and execute pavucontrol on the mediacenter to enable the passthrough of the digital formats for the HDMI audio output.

Recently i moved from Italy to London and I bought a new television while keeping my 'old' mediacenter and audio system.

NEW Television
LG 55UB850V (WebOs)

And now i'm not able to passthrough DTS from my mediacenter anymore !
If i enable the DTS track in a movie i have NO SOUND.

- The television support DTS for sure.
- I enabled the optical output on the television and enabled the passthrough option and configured pavucontrol correctly
- Passthrough of Dolby Digital works perfectly ( !!!!!!!!!! ) .
- If i disable the passthrough option on the television (so that the output are the speaker of the television) still have the same problem (DD works, DTS doesn't)
- The passthrough issue is the same on both VLC (any version) and KODI 14,15
- If I connect the mediacenter to the sound system through S/PDIF (without HDMI passthrough), both DolbyDigital and DTS works perfectly
- I have the same issue ALSO if i disable PulseAudio and use ALSA (DolbyDigital passthrough works , DTS doesn't)
- If I reproduce a movie with DTS audio directly on the television (from external HDD or DLNA) it works perfectly and the audio is correctly decoded by the sound system
- If I reproduce a movie from my windows notebook connected to the TV through the same HDMI it works perfectly and the audio is correctly decoded by the sound system

- I've updated the TV firmware to the latest version available
- I've tried different linux version (ubuntu 14.10 15.04, elementary OS 0.3)
- I've tried to update kernel to the latest version available (4.0.3) withouth improvements.

I've run out of options, please help me.
Most TVs don't passthrough anything other Dolby Digital, you just happened to have one that did.
Read ALL the post please.

- If I reproduce a movie with DTS audio directly on the television (from external HDD or DLNA) it works perfectly and the audio is correctly decoded by the sound system
- If I reproduce a movie from my windows notebook connected to the TV through the same HDMI it works perfectly and the audio is correctly decoded by the sound system

the DTS passthrough works using window so it's not that the TV doesn't support the passthrough of DTS audio
Just to get that "windows" fact a bit more clearly:

Do you say - kodi on windows(!) - is able to trigger the passthrough mode of your TV with DTS? Or did you use another software?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I used VLC on window just to check if the issue was caused by my new television (not supporting DTS passthrough on HDMI maybe).

But as i said VLC on linux has the same issue as KODI when I'm on linux.
My issue is not caused by KODI itself but i hope to find someone here that could help me pinpointing the issue and maybe finding a solution.

Thank you.
I ask - cause Windows Kodi and Linux Kodi send the same frame ...

and as you already found out: If it's not a kodi issue, but also present when PA does it for us or when ALSA is doing it directly, then it's something for the ALSA mailing list.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-30, 21:49)fritsch Wrote: I ask - cause Windows Kodi and Linux Kodi send the same frame ...

and as you already found out: If it's not a kodi issue, but also present when PA does it for us or when ALSA is doing it directly, then it's something for the ALSA mailing list.

Thank fritsch.
Do you have any idea of what could be the cause of this issue ? or something that could help me try to fix this ?
I don't need step by step instruction (as i have quite a bit of knowledge) but if you can think about something that i still haven't tried that would be great.
Nope. I have no idea. That's why I asked - is kodi on windows behaving the same. Have seen this issue many times since doing Audio and could not solve it on linux. Therefore I suggest you ask on the PA and ALSA user mailing list.

They let you do some tests with paplay, by directly using PA internals to output DTS stuff.
Btw. Also a nice source of help is #pulseaudio irc channel. Here I met with all the PA devs when I implemented kodi's pulseaudio sink. (This is pulseaudio only of course), but I think the issue is more down in the ALSA layer, but they will tell you (hopefully).

I subscribed to this topic. So please keep me posted.
I've tried using my friend notebook that has a 4th generation intel CPU with Intel HD4400 and I'm having the exact same issue.

So it seems like an incompatibility between al Intel GPU and the new TV (maybe because the TV supports HDMI 2.0 Huh )

I've also posted on ubuntu multimedia support forum. let's hope for a proper fix, as i'm worried this may impact a lot more user in the near future.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me, No DTS passthrough0