• 17(current)
Intel Braswell boxes compilation
(2016-04-14, 00:08)wesk05 Wrote: So, the video level is set to 16-235, but not clamped when the limited range option is enabled in Kodi? BTB and WTW from NV12 is passed only when the display driver is set to full and limited range option is enabled in Kodi. In all other combinations, the levels are clamped to 16-235 for NV12.

No. Please read again. We have zero control of the display driver. Also see the difference between video and GUI elements.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-14, 07:10)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-04-14, 00:08)wesk05 Wrote: So, the video level is set to 16-235, but not clamped when the limited range option is enabled in Kodi? BTB and WTW from NV12 is passed only when the display driver is set to full and limited range option is enabled in Kodi. In all other combinations, the levels are clamped to 16-235 for NV12.

No. Please read again. We have zero control of the display driver. Also see the difference between video and GUI elements.

I am just telling you what I (and others) are finding. There is only one combination that allows BTW (0-15) and WTW (236-255) from YUV420 video to passthrough and that is by setting the display driver to full and enabling limited color range in Kodi. With other combinations, it is either clamped (driver - limited, Kodi - full /driver- YCbCr, Kodi - full) or upscaled and remapped (driver - full, Kodi- full) which means 0-15 and 236-255 are discarded. I have verified this with both Intel and AMD display drivers. I haven't checked it on Linux, that is on my to do list.

Kodi may not have control over the display driver, but the outcome of enabling the limited color range option in Kodi is as described above.

PS: This observation is based on actual pixel RGB value readouts from the HDMI output.
That is right, but again only on platforms that care! For Intel we have a special mode in oe/le kernel that sends limited info frames but sends values without clamping and without range scaling. Some TVs switch to full when driver signals full, so your aporoach won't work. It's a workaround Hack only.

On the other hand Android's surface rendering ignores that switch fully, amlogic, too. So limited range in kodi gas no effect for video (if using direct rendering, if stuff goes again through our internal GLES path we can stay limited of course, that accounts for decoders outputting limited range, sw decoders do) This does not account for all the bypass stuff. As said above... all solutions suck... OE with Intel works correctly as we patch kernel, xorg and ship sane kodi settings by default.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-14, 07:49)wesk05 Wrote: I am just telling you what I (and others) are finding. There is only one combination that allows BTW (0-15) and WTW (236-255) from YUV420 video to passthrough and that is by setting the display driver to full and enabling limited color range in Kodi.
But are you using the modified Intel drivers that fritsch has worked on, that adds this https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/i...81516.html ?

This offers an additional output mode.

You have :

1. Full - where the output is aimed at 0-255 Full displays (and Full InfoFrames are added to the HDMI). (By default this requires Kodi to pre-scale content to 0-255 - which is the old default behaviour) If your TV ignores Infoframes, or can be overridden you can use Kodi's Limited Range option to send 16-235 video via this route though (So Intel driver thinks you are Full, but actually you are sending "Limited within Full"). This technique falls over if your display uses Info-frmaes though as it will detect the Full info-frames and switch to Full input range (so a 16-235 picture will look washed out and desaturated). However when it works it avoids clipping <16 and >235 content.

2. Limited - where the output is aimed at 16-235 Limited displays (and Limited InfoFrame are added to the HDMI). It will re-scale 0-255 input video to 16-235 (Which will have lost <15 and >235 content earlier in the process) Dithering will help mask the double conversion.

3. Video (aka Limited 16:235 pass-through). This is the new mode that is a modified version of 1, with the InfoFrames changed to send Limited Infoframes. It avoids the problems of the driver signalling Full range in the Infoframes when it is sending Limited video, and is a pass-through solution that avoids clipping <16 and >235 content with a suitably aware app feeding it (the app sends 16-235 content as 16-235) and doesn't re-scale video from 16-235 to 0-255. It works on modern HDMI displays that interpret Infoframes correctly.

Quote:With other combinations, it is either clamped (driver - limited, Kodi - full /driver- YCbCr, Kodi - full) or upscaled and remapped (driver - full, Kodi- full) which means 0-15 and 236-255 are discarded. I have verified this with both Intel and AMD display drivers. I haven't checked it on Linux, that is on my to do list.

Kodi may not have control over the display driver, but the outcome of enabling the limited color range option in Kodi is as described above.

PS: This observation is based on actual pixel RGB value readouts from the HDMI output.

I think you may not have used a driver with the third option of Video 16:235 pass-through?

Code:
broadcast_rgb_names[] = {
  { INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_AUTO, "Automatic" },
  { INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_FULL, "Full" },
  { INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_LIMITED, "Limited 16:235" },
+ { INTEL_BROADCAST_RGB_VIDEO, "Video 16:235 pass-through" },
};

Until I had a driver that supported Video 16:235 pass-through I used option 1. with Kodi set for limited range on my older TVs (that ignored info frames for Full/Limited range) but had to use option 2. on my 2014 Sony UHD set which always went into Full mode when I used option 1. with Kodi set for limited range because of the mismatch between InfoFrame Full whilst the video was 16-235 Limited. Option 3 now means I can get Limited Range passed through and correctly flagged and my new UHD set is happy.
(2016-04-14, 10:17)noggin Wrote: But are you using the modified Intel drivers that fritsch has worked on, that adds this https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/i...81516.html ?

I think you may not have used a driver with the third option of Video 16:235 pass-through?

Sorry! It may have not been obvious from the posts that I was referring to Windows OS. When I started this discussion, I did link to a post in the DX11 thread. I know, for the sake of argument, one could say that mentioning DX11 doesn't really rule out Linux Wink. I haven't yet checked this out on Linux x86. I did check it on Pi2. I didn't see a limited color range option in the recent Millhouse build. It seems like it is either clamped (RGB Limited) or scaled/remapped (RGB Full) on the Pi2. Is there a way to get this working on the Pi2/3?

Is @fritsch's modified driver included in his OpenElec images / @Millhouse's x86 builds or is it something available only for full Linux OSes?

I think to keep this thread clean and discussion relevant, we may have to move these posts to this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218274&page=55
(2016-04-14, 18:16)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-04-14, 10:17)noggin Wrote: But are you using the modified Intel drivers that fritsch has worked on, that adds this https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/i...81516.html ?

Sorry! It may have not been obvious from the posts that I was referring to Windows OS. When I started this discussion, I did link to a post in the DX11 thread. I know, for the sake of argument, one could say that mentioning DX11 doesn't really rule out Linux Wink. I haven't yet checked this out on Linux x86. I did check it on Pi2. I didn't see a limited color range option in the recent Millhouse build. It seems like it is either clamped (RGB Limited) or scaled/remapped (RGB Full) on the Pi2. Is there a way to get this working on the Pi2/3?

No - the Pi series use video layers and compositing I think - so AIUI the UI is rendered separately to hardware accelerated video (all video?), with the UI composited over the video - so you set the Limited or Full range options purely in the Pi config.txt file, which sets the HDMI output range. AIUI the video is then correctly rendered in the right level space (and the UI scaled if required) No need for a Kodi "Limited Levels" option.

Quote:Is @fritsch's modified driver included in his OpenElec images / @Millhouse's x86 builds or is it something available only for full Linux OSes?

Yes - it's in the recent OpenElec images over in the Linux forum here, as well as guides to implementing it on Ubuntu. (Not sure about Braswell drivers - I'm on Haswell)

(Will look at moving threads tomorrow)
(2016-04-15, 03:09)noggin Wrote: No - the Pi series use video layers and compositing I think - so AIUI the UI is rendered separately to hardware accelerated video (all video?), with the UI composited over the video - so you set the Limited or Full range options purely in the Pi config.txt file, which sets the HDMI output range. AIUI the video is then correctly rendered in the right level space (and the UI scaled if required) No need for a Kodi "Limited Levels" option.

OpenELEC Kodi 17 on Pi2 doesn't seem to support BTB and WTW passthrough in any of the builds.

Quote:Yes - it's in the recent OpenElec images over in the Linux forum here, as well as guides to implementing it on Ubuntu.
It works perfectly on OpenELEC x86 and LibreELEC x86 on Intel Haswell!
(2016-04-17, 21:16)wesk05 Wrote: OpenELEC Kodi 17 on Pi2 doesn't seem to support BTB and WTW passthrough in any of the builds.

That's interesting. Wonder what popcornmix has to say on that? To be honest - I've never checked. I switch between Raspberry Pi 3, Chromebox and i5-4250 NUC at the moment (with a C2 for bleeding edge fun). The Chromebox is the main workhorse (I've got two - one as a TV Headend server with 5 DVB-T/T2 sticks and a SAT>IP tuner integrated into it, and another as my main Kodi viewing platform)
If the ramp is not banded and "black" llooks "black" and "white" looks "white" and the grayramp is smooth and not banded I think nobody cares :-)
(2016-04-17, 21:41)fritsch Wrote: If the ramp is not banded and "black" llooks "black" and "white" looks "white" and the grayramp is smooth and not banded I think nobody cares :-)

That can be said about a lot of other things in this world Smile
(2016-04-17, 21:41)fritsch Wrote: If the ramp is not banded and "black" llooks "black" and "white" looks "white" and the grayramp is smooth and not banded I think nobody cares :-)

Yes - I certainly don't mind not being able to see the stuff I shouldn't be able to see on a correctly aligned monitor. (However the lack of BTB can make display calibration a bit boring)

But then I'm amazed that people will watch a TV with sharpness turned up, motion reduction enabled, contrast enhancement doing bizarre things, frame rate interpolation turning movies into soap operas etc...
Exactly ... I will never forget, for the rest of my life, when I made a blind test with audiophiles ... where I used a 44.1 lossy mp3, decoded it to wav and resampled it with a very cheap resampler, without any dithering to 44.1khz, 48 khz, 96 khz and 192 khz - guess what they though would be best ... the 192 khz one, of course - cause their DAC showed a green light :p

Next I used a 192/24 flac, decoded it to wav, resample with lowest ffmpeg quality (default one) to 48 khz, medium quality to 48 khz and highest ultra quality to 48 khz. From the testers (not representative), but shouting out very loud to be the audiophile listeners per se - a high percentage could not even hear the difference between low and medium ... and nobody of the better listeners could reliable distinguish between highest and medium. :-) (*)

*: It's obviously clear that as long audio is processed you want a loss-less chain ...
Hi guys, so im going from an nvidia Shield to a Brasswell Box because my new Philips TV has built in Android and it is realy anoying using an android tv over another android tv plattform.

Now i have some questions... Im thinking about a MSI Cubi N with 3150 Celeron:
http://www.amazon.de/MSI-N-BN31502GXXDX1...rds=cubi+n
It comes with preinstalled Windows 10 but im guesing i should still use Openelec because some functions may not be working under Windows?
Beside that Windows 10 does not support HD Audio on those machines - nothing relevant is missing.
ok im reading reviews at the moment saying the ssd in the MSI Cubi N is almost slower than a normal hdd..
Im going to build an asrock beebox with my own components since i dont even realy want windows.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Braswell boxes compilation3