Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-01-26, 00:41)luci5r Wrote: So I finally got a chance this week to sit down and finagle with the various options & propositions to do with getting UHD HDR MKV playback to work on my GT 1030 / i5-2600K machine with Kodi. 

Ultimately, in a nut shell, the following is what I was able to achieve.

Windows HDR --> OFF
Under LAV Video Configuration -> Hardware Acceleration
If I set "Hardware Decoder to use" to "DXVA2 (Native)"
This method allows LAV/MadVR/MPC-BE to playback UHD HDR MKV flawlessly! No skipping. No lag. No frame rate or choppy playback issues. Playback is absolutely smooth. 
HOWEVER -- The PQ is just not that great! Colors are no different then watching a non-UHD, non-HDR media. 

Windows HDR --> OFF
Under LAV Video Configuration -> Hardware Acceleration
If I set "Hardware Decoder to use" to "DXVA2 (Copy-Back)"
This method allows LAV/MadVR/MPC-BE to playback UHD HDR MKV with choppy playback issues. Playback is jerky. It's not as bad as I originally encountered. This is more like when you try to play 24p video on a 60Hz refresh rate - maybe a little more jerk then that.   
HOWEVER -- The PQ is phenomenal! Colors are great! I can tell it's very different then non-HDR media. 

For both above tests,
"Trade quality for performance" all boxes were checked;
almost all other options were either the "default" MadVR or the ones suggested by brazen1 in post #205. 
Chroma upscaling was Cubic
Image downscaling was Cubic
Image upscaling was Lanczos

I tried some other settings randomly but they only made playback worse. 

Lastly,

Windows HDR --> ON
Playback UHD HDR MKV in PowerDVD 17
Absolutely flawless media playback - Smooth - No choppiness/jerk.
Absolutely phenomenal PQ. Superb colors. I can tell HDR is working properly. 

The only drawback of this issue is, I have to turn HDR in Windows Display Settings On & Off manually before & after media playback. 

----------

If I had to pick a method to use on my machine today, I would most certainly go with method #3. Despite having to turn HDR On & Off, as I get absolutely flawless media playback with superb PQ & Colors. 

Ideally, I would love if method #2 could work - if I could somehow get rid of the choppiness and jerk in motion. Since no manual HDR On/Off intervention is required. 

I don't seem to quite understand why LAV/MadVR/MPC-BE cannot play back the same media on the same machine and produce the exact same picture quality & colors --- that PowerDVD can? In other words, why does GT 1030 fail to produce the exact same results in MPC-BE/MadVR, but produces brilliant results in PowerDVD? I've compared the PQ between the DXVA2 (Copy-Back) method & PowerDVD method and neither of the two is superior - they are pretty equal. So I have to relent that GT 1030 is fully capable of UHD HDR MKV playback. 

Really wish I could get method #2 to work. But for now, I'll stick with method #3 unless I can figure out otherwise. 

Thanks.
Hey @luci5r,

i have a similar hardware, older i3 and a 1030. Did bought the 1030 to get 4k hdr playback on my philips 65PSU8102 TV.
Sadly, running into the same issues, that the MPC/LAV/MADVR doesnt work! Regardless what i have tried in the settings.
Dont want to spend more money on this. So i am looking for a solution for my current hardware....

So here are my questions to you, because you are have worked out the best solutions for this hardware on the past pages:
  • what external player do you use for HDR UHD mkv's in kodi?
    When i have understand the discussions right: DVDFAB 3, right?

• Does PCF work correctly now in v18a3 64bit windows build?
Thanks a lot
pOpY

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by popy - 2018-08-06, 22:32
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39