Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2021-07-01, 18:45)brazen1 Wrote:
(2021-07-01, 08:27)Mekey Wrote:
(2021-03-14, 19:55)brazen1 Wrote: Update to my current configuration using Kodi v20 which also applies to v19 Matrix: 

Kodi VideoPlayer now handles iso file playback with menus identical to a standalone player with a physical disc.  I passthrough 4k HDR and have no need to tone map.  This means I can migrate from other players and present my iso's with no loss or gain in quality using the latest versions of Kodi.  

I gain all the advantages the Kodi VideoPlayer offers, especially menus that external players with madVR are not capable of.  This includes DSPlayer which still doesn't handle iso's or provide menus.  Lacking support, it most likely never will.

I strive for the best quality possible.  While 4k HDR using the Kodi VideoPlayer is identical to passing through using madVR with an external player such as MPC-BE or an internal player such as DSPlayer, there are occasions external players with madVR would still be superior and desired - such as upscaling video less than 4k (540p, 720p, 1080p).  Since video quality will be gained, lack of menus will be a trade-off.  That said, you would need to determine if it improves quality enough for you.  It does me. 

To put it another way, 4k needs no improvements.  There is nothing to improve.  This is why we simply passed it through untouched using madVR or other means in the past.  Now that Kodi can also pass it through, we've lost nothing but we have gained the Kodi GUI with menus our iso's offer.  Of course, if you do need to alter 4k video because your display is not up to the task, using official Kodi will only benefit you using madVR to tone map your external player(s).

So, I use Kodi to playback all 4k HDR video and madVR with MPC-BE for everything else.  Exceptions are MP4's and Kodi GUI trailers which also playback using Kodi VideoPlayer.  This is just what I prefer but you can custom tailor what you prefer.  For instance, 1080p iso's open automatically with madVR and MPC-BE because I'd rather they upscale the main movie video rather than present menus.  As always, I can override the automatic selection of player choice using the 'Play Using' menu in Kodi and this remains seamless.  Perhaps I want to interact with the menus and when finished I want to play the main movie through madVR for instance.

For Kodi to automate multi player and component selection, I remain using the same setup of madVR, LAV Filters, external player(s), .bats, playercorefactory.xml, file name inclusion, and Kodi itself.  The 1st page in this thread will point you to all of that in detail.  Kodi does offer a new setting - Settings/Player/Videos/Use display HDR capabilities.  I've also installed JAVA x64 which makes menus possible.  On a side note, the author of 4D Theatre Wind Effect has improved the code so that all of this Kodi vs External player auto switching coincides perfectly.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.  Myself or others should be able to help.  Enjoy  Smile

Just a dumb question,can i actually watch 3d using only kodi on androidbox,tv is a Samsung 4k,using hdmi to TV. Or is it only possible with a PC hopkup to tv

Sorry.  I've never used an "androidbox" and I don't entertain 3D via a PC anymore since all upgraded displays are non-3D.  Maybe someone else would know.

Ok thanks,I hope someone else can shed some Light,really hoüing for some help

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by Mekey - 2021-07-01, 19:23
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39