It's back -- short DVD buzz on scene changes?
I too am having the same problem/issue as Wannatheater.

It doesn't happen on every DVD, and I'm trying to get a list together of full DVD rips that I am hearing the noise...then, re-rip them on 2 different DVD drives. However, I don't think that is going to be the problem.

I am using AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 for the rip to VOB files. While the video is playing in Kodi, as it goes from one chapter to another, I hear the noise....I know it's in between chapters because I also played it in Windows Media Player, the noise doesn't happen at all, and when I display the "full list" option in WMP, where the noise happens in Kodi is where WMP says its a new Chapter.

Noise does not happen if the video is converted to MP4 using DVD Catalyst and/or Handbrake.....but, I'd prefer to keep the raw VOB files in order to re-burn to disc if needed.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.....other than this, Kodi is absolutely perfect for my use.
nickolas98-

You are seeing the same as me. It is not on every DVD rip. The three I ripped yesterday did not have the problem while playing in KODI (which prevented me from trying another DVD drive, as planned). I do know a few movies that it definitely occurs on, but need to get that physical DVDs back if I want to re-rip on another drive. But I don't think the results will be any different- This is digital data, and if the rip was bad the files would most likely not load in any of my other video processing software. It should be noted that i am doing straight rips- full DVDs, no compression, etc.

I was thinking it was perhaps an error with the ripping software I use, which is DVDFab Decryptor. But you are using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, so that eliminates the ripper as the source. While you are seeing the issue in KODI, but not in WMP, I am seeing it in KODI, but not in VLC.
So here is what things look like so far:
1) I am not the only one experiencing this issue with playback
2) Occurs while playing sources ripped from different DVD drives (different users)
3) Occurs while playing sources ripped using different ripping software
4) Occurs in KODI playback, but the same source files play without issue in WMP and VLC
5) Issue not related to external audio equipment

I can provide a recent ripped movie that exhibits the issue, but would need an FTP site to upload to (assuming I can successfully FTP 5+ Gig)
I agree with WannaTheater.....I ripped a movie today from an original DVD using 2 different DVD drives, and the noise occurs in the same place on both (when it goes to the next chapter). The noise doesn't happen on every DVD rip....which makes me think it has to do with how the .nfo file tells the player (in this case Kodi) how to transition between chapters.

The noise is usually pretty faint, and my wife doesn't hear it half of the time....but every now and then, the noise is very noticeable.
Nfo files are unrelated- they only contain info about the movie for library purposes. They are not related to playback- you can open them up with a text editor and view contents). If you rip the movie, and play if from file-mode (i.e. Don't scrape the movie to add to the library), you will have no Nfo file. And you will still get the error.

I think the issue is one of the following:
1) the KODI Player in incorrectly decoding the AC3 stream and thinking it has an error
2) the Ac3 stream does have errors, and the KODI player doesnt gracefully handle them.
I just realized this is in the MacOS forum-
My issues are on Windows7, and also appear on Kodi running on iOS (Apple TVs- 2nd Generation)
Ironically, I didn't notice it was MacOS either....my issues are on Kodi 14.2 running on Amazon Fire TV (not the stick).

Either way, sounds like it isn't OS specific.
Moving this thread to the OS independent sub-forum.
Could you guys try to craft a minimal DVD structure which only involves the 2 VOB files where the blibb can be noticed? Imo a DVD structure could be incomplete. Meaning you use the original ifo file and 2 vobs (or maybe even only one vob - not sure if each vob is dedicated to one chapter) + menu vob. In that case the download would be smaller (definitly not 5GB) and we could try to reproduce the issue by selecting a direct chapter for playback and just waiting or seeking short before the next chapter.

Just thinking on how to reduce the test data significantly here.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I will try- The issue is that if you don't maintain the proper DVD structure, no player will open it. And if you compress it, it will transcode it, which may remove the blip.
I will see if I can get it down to something manageable, while keeping the structure intact.
For the first movie I tried, I can get the structure down to about 600M (blanking all of the chapters except for the first couple). I have a few other DVD processing tools that are OK with the structure. VLC plays the shortened version fine. But when I try to play it in Kodi it exits out to the list of files. I will try another movie.

Here is something else I noticed on the movie I tried (Original/Unmodified):
I start playing the movie in Kodi (click on VIDEO_TS.IFO).
I let it run through the previews, until it gets to the main menu.
I click PLAY, and I also get the blip.
OK- I have a working sample down to about 265M- Complete DVD structure with most everything blanked out. I have included a README which points out how to reproduce the issue, and uploaded the zip file to Dropbox. Memphiz, if you could PM me your email address, I can share out the uploaded file.

Thanks!
Thanks WannaTheater....I've been trying to do the same thing, but on my "shortened" versions, the blip wouldn't happen in Kodi.
Great - thx for the effort!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
DropBox link sent. Let me know if you need anything else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
It's back -- short DVD buzz on scene changes?1