OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)
(2015-10-18, 18:23)hdmkv Wrote:
(2015-10-18, 17:39)popcornmix Wrote: I've seen a few issues with Onkyo and banding or stutter caused by its video processing. Even in "through" mode, it still replaces the video signal with its own version (so it can overlay OSD info) and there are reports that this causes issues. Some Onkyo models have a secret mode which disables any processing (including OSD) which has fixed issues for some. See:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/onkyo-v...g.1957818/

BTW, I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 and that doesn't have the 3D switching issue.
Can't believe the newer, pricier TX-NR636 does! Just tried via my old Pioneer VSX-822 and no problems.

I'll try the link you posted, thanks.

Update: Onkyo 636 has no such hidden setting by pressing 'DVR' and 'Display' at the same time. Tried every input button and 'Display' just in case. In 636's setting, turned off 'Display OSD' setting, but the blanking out still happens. May just consider another AVR after some research (proper video through, proper HDMI, price, etc.). Or, doing something like this, similar to @BubbleBobble.

I think you're supposed to press the "Return" button and not the "Display" button. On my TX-NR828, I can press BD/DVD and Return at the same time and nothing happens. When I press CBL/SAT and Return at the same time, I get a display thingy on the AVR about HDMI Through. Pressing Return multiple times steps through various "time" amounts from seconds to minutes or Off. I'm not sure what that is doing.

I too have noticed banding on my Projector, but I didn't think to blame the Onkyo for it. I figured it was the source material that was at fault. I have the AVR set to upscale everything to 1080p, but didn't think it was doing anything. When I watch TV (from HDHomerun), the Pi is already upscaling the 720p channels and the 1080i signals to 1080p so I didn't think the AVR was doing anything. I will now be doing some experiments later to see if it is responsible for the banding I see.

I really like my Onkyo most of the time, but I've read some terrible things about faulty HDMI (I have an older 606 that hasn't failed yet). I also get some trouble from it when I turn on the Kodi option to adjust the refresh rate. I get a second or two of black nothingness while the AVR and/or projector resync.

Just out of curiosity, why do you split the signal from the Pi? I just run my Pi straight into the AVR on the CBL/SAT input and let the AVR peel off the audio. Are there times that you let your projector playback the sound so that you don't have to turn the AVR on? I never use the sound capability of my projector. I have no HDMI splitters or switches in my setup, just the Onkyo AVR.

EDIT: Never mind on that last question. I see that you "might" do that to avoid the AVR mucking up the video from the Pi.
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.

Messages In This Thread
Bluetooth on #1003 - by cdvreede - 2015-10-13, 11:08
Re: RE: Bluetooth on #1003 - by Milhouse - 2015-10-13, 13:24
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - by afremont - 2015-10-20, 01:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)10