Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-17, 09:15)VirtualRain Wrote: Thank you. I re-read the first post again, and figured you were addressing this in the second paragraph about scaling to RGB. Thanks for the gradients... That looks exciting! Hopefully will look as good on my Sony x850C TV. Smile I will give this a try on the weekend.

Appreciate all the great work you and other members of the community do!

If the X850C is a Sony UHD set like mine, then you may find one of the techniques mentioned in this thread doesn't work. This is because newer TVs like the Sony correctly interpret Info Frames in the HDMI signal, so can't carry Limited range video with a GPU that thinks (and signals) it is running in Full range.

This means the xrandr "Full" + 16-235 level setting within Kodi won't work properly, as instead of thinking the input is "Limited" the new Sony TV sees the HDMI infoframe saying "I'm Full Range" and thus treats the input as 0-255 not 16-235, but because the video within the signal is actually 16-235 (just incorrectly flagged as 0-255 for the few displays that interpret those flags) it goes wrong and you get set-up (i.e. grey) blacks, and desaturated colours.

In this situation you have two options. Stick with Full level output (not an issue if you switch between Limited and Full sources with an AVR as this should pass through the info frames that the TV follows), however disable the 16-235 settings in Kodi, and run with dithering enabled to help mask the banding otherwise caused by 16-235->0-255 range extension, or run the HDMI output in "Limited" mode (i.e. don't do the xrandr thing to change the GPU output range) and also make sure Limited levels in Kodi are disabled but again ensure dithering is enabled to hide the banding.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - by noggin - 2015-09-17, 10:48
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18