Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-30, 08:03)lexi81 Wrote:
(2015-09-30, 02:12)Sunflux Wrote: For quality, none of the xrandr Limited modes are best.

In order of best quality working downwards:

#1: Driver 0-255 + Kodi Limited + Dithering On/Off + TV Limited
#2: Driver 0-255 + Kodi Full + Dithering On + TV Auto/Full
#3: Driver 16-235 + Kodi Full + Dithering On + TV Auto/Limited

And those three are the only real viable options. #1 is essentially untouched - the holy grail of video purists everywhere. #2 looks very good, but it's doing a LOT of processing to the image, which means it's what I'd use only if I'm unable to force my TV to accept Limited input on a full-range signal, as is required for #1 to work correctly. #3 is likely to be the default option in Kodi, but it's just as processed as #2 and yet still has minor visible banding, which makes it a very distant third in my book.

Now, will the average person sitting at an average distance from their TV watching typical real-world programming notice any difference between #1, #2 or #3? Probably not. But if we were average, we would not be here in this thread talking about this!

#1 #2 gave me both the correct black pattern. But #1 gave me light grey in the white pattern up to 250. #2 gave me white above 234. So I chose #2, can anybody shine a light on that? Why does kodi limited give gray in the white pattern.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is likely the correct behavior and is a result of your TV's processing. With option #1, Kodi is outputting all greyshades from 0 to 255. It's your television that's selecting to display only 16-235, and your television that is expanding 16 down to 0. Kodi has nothing to do with this. Now, most televisions will not normally expand 235 all the way up to 255, because 235 by specification is supposed to remain a light shade of grey on modern screens. What remains above that is commonly called "super white".

Now, the main question: between option #1 and #2, 235 itself is about the same color, light grey, right? It's only that you're seeing even whiter above 235 on #2? Then that's because your TV is either choosing not to, or is unable to, display "super whites" when put into limited mode. The important thing to remember, is that videos do not normally contain meaningful content above 235. Sometimes they can, which is why it's typically recommended to enable "super white" if you can, but it's not a huge issue if you can't.

If whites not being their brightest bothers you, you can adjust the brightness or contrast on your set. You might also want to play around with gamma settings if there are any, which may make the difference between 235 and 255 quite minimal.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - by Sunflux - 2015-09-30, 08:55
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18