Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-10-09, 05:20)Sunflux Wrote: You mention your projector is in "limited" mode. How are you doing this? Is there an auto option?

If you simply can't get your projector to accept a limited range signal correctly (and the same thing happens if you force the "Limited 16:235" option, which should result in your blacks being grey), then yes, use xrandr to manually set full mode, set Kodi to full with dithering, and then leave your projector on full. When you do this, you should only see greyshades between 16 and 235.

Thanks for the help so far. Also, I fixed the link to the picture in my post above. You can see the black bars below 16.

So my projector's color setting is misleading or broken. It's supposed to be "Auto", "RGB", or "YCrBr". I've always taken that to mean RGB = 0-255 and YCrBr = 16-235. However, after trying every combination of xrandr, kodi, and PJ colorspace setting, I've proven that the PJ setting doesn't actually do anything. I leave the PJ on RGB for now, but like I said, it doesn't really matter.

So without PJ options, I have tried all of the combinations on the software side, and I'm more confused than ever. I am running the Oct 6 Jarvis build. Here is what I've found:

Code:
xrandr          kodi            lowest  banding         comments
                                black
----------------------------------------------------------------
full            limited         12      high            blacks look okay, but bars below 17 flash. bad banding in greyscale ramp
full            full            30      high            black crush. no detail in shadows, bad banding
limited         limited         0       low             washed out, black bars flash all the way to 0
limited         full            17      low             looks good, less banding
pass            limited         0       low             washed out, black bars flash all the way to 0
pass            full            17      low             looks good, less banding

From this, I suppose I should run passthrough with full set in Kodi, but that is counter intuitive, isn't it?

Here is a picture of the banding from passthrough and kodi set to full. Dithering off. I can eliminate the banding with dithering set to 6.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - by briancl - 2015-10-09, 17:15
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18