Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-11-07, 12:34)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-07, 06:22)ilovethakush Wrote: What's the difference between VAAPI Motion Compensated and VAAPI Motion Adaptive and which would you suggest for the chromebox?

I know right now on the wiki it says Motion Adaptive but for the longest time it said Motion Compensated. Just wondering.

This is my understanding :

MADI uses Motion Adaptive techniques. This is where a picture, or elements of a picture, are analysed across fields to detect whether they are static or moving. If they are static then both fields are used to create a frame (i.e. a Weave) - and if they are moving then elements from just one field (i.e. a simple Bob) are used to create a frame (possibly with a bit of filtering to reduce the visibility of the vertical resolution drop and avoid jagged edges) Some deinterlacers use Motion Adaption across the entire field/frame (so switch between all-Bob or all-Weave) whilst others divide the picture into blocks and apply the Bob/Weave decision on a block-by-block basis. I think the Intel approach is the latter. (Some cheap TVs and consumer devices that deinterlace use the former, and you see weave artefacts on shot changes between i and p native content) Effectively with MADI you get the best of both Weave and Bob techniques (either globally across a frame/field or block-by-block within a frame/field).

MCDI uses Motion Compensative techniques. This is where the motion between fields is detected as in MADI and block-based detection is used BUT the motion within blocks between fields is also analysed so a motion vector for each block can be generated, which allows for more than one field to be used to create the output frame even for moving content. The motion vector is detected and allows for the motion to be compensated for, allowing information from both fields to be used to create a frame, even on moving content (you move the content from one field by the motion vectors generated to create the missing field to pair with the field before or after). This is a lot better than the Bob (or Bob with a bit of filtering) that is used on moving content in MADI. It should mean increased vertical resolution on moving content compared to MADI. The quality achieved will depend on the number of fields that are analysed and stored by the deinterlacer, and the motion detection algorithm used.

MADI just needs motion detection, MCDI needs motion detection AND some vector generation algorithm (like block matching) to compensate for the motion. As a result MADI requires less processing than MCDI, so for some very low spec GPUs you can only do MADI.

Thanks a lot, that was very descriptive.

I was just thinking to myself that based on what you said it would probably be better to use motion compensated, and then I check the chromebox wiki and the change has already been made, that was fast.

One more question, and sorry for my ignorance, I'm relatively new to this. For video scaling method, what's the advantage of having it be "lanczos 3 - optimised" and not "auto"?

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - by ilovethakush - 2015-11-07, 17:15
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18