Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-11-25, 14:17)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-11-25, 14:08)gurabli Wrote: @fritsch
In the first post you write: "While we are trying to get this code tested and merged into kodi v17...", I understand that VAAPI with EGL will not be included in Jarvis final. What will happen once Jarvis final is released, the ppa here will be based on v17 development builds?

Few post before you wrote: "I don't have my Braswell anymore - gave it away after everything we could do was implemented."
This means that fine tuning and bugfixes are still to do without implementing anything (since everything possible already works). What is on the to do list for this project?

Thanks!

I think @FernetMenta will be so kind and create a branch directly after v16 stable was released - which can then be used for endusers until v17 is out. Currently we have reworked handling of IEC encapsulated audio to support Android's passthrough in the future. Basically I don't know what will be done next. There is still a lot stuff to cleanup. Getting EGL / Videoplayer rework to v17 and test it on all platforms, including Android, AMLogic, IMX and so on is not trivial. VDPAU / VAAPI as provided in this thread is one of the most tested versions currently.

I currently think of giving VAAPI scalers a new chance - but I am not yet sure - we need to improve our scaler performance by a lot - cause if we are honest - we currently cannot upscale 1080p24 to 3840x2160p60 without pushing the GPU to a limit. Future TVs and HDMI output will be 4k@60 and users want to run the GUI in 4k then. I need to evaluate those again (adding a VPP step for deinterlacing is easy) adding another for the progressive path is not that easy. We will see. I had this implemented some years (!) ago on a baytrail and it was able to do lanczos3 optimized scaling, which is why i am quite curious. On the other hand if someone could fix up our lanczos shader to use intermediate float to save some steps would also be nice.

Currently work is ongoing to implement mipmapping for textures to make the GUI looking better. So a lot stuff that needs love and time - while just love is existent most of the time :-)

In short: Get yourself a source copy and start hacking today. When you are ready I am sure there is still a lot to do for you.

Thanks fritsch for summing up everything so nice and clear. Good to know and see the details. It is such a great work, the Braswell based hw is giving amazing results and htpc experience. To me, the only thing missing is hdmi 2.0 and CEC a little, but I can easily live without these, but guess Intel needs to hold back HDMI 2.0 ports to be able to sell some new hw later.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Era: VAAPI with EGL interoperation - by gurabli - 2015-11-25, 14:27
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18