• 260(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Then I want a Debug Log of 2.) - make sure that speaker number is set to 5.1 - as without that being set, only 2 channels will come out.

Btw. which channels don't work? Which AVR do you use? Post a full Debug Log again please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Will do when my missus allows me back from the shops.

5.1 is set.

It's a Phillips soundbar.

The fact that it works with the 2.0 and enable AC3 Transcoding is fantastic.

It just seemed odd that with 5.1 enabled in Windows it worked, so I thought that the same would be true here too.
Just realised that I made an incorrect assumption.

When switching from 2.0 to 5.1 the option for ac3 transcoding is no longer available and I had made the assumption that because it was not there that it would therefore have no effect.

But then I switched back to 2.0, disabled the ac3 and then switched back to 5.1.

Ran the test file again and the results are (as I am guessing they should be)

1.) Passthrough of AC3 enable, Speaker Numbers 5.1 or 2.0 does not matter (expected AVR displays AC3)

All is fine.

2.) Passthrough of AC3 disabled, Speaker Number 5.1 set (expected AVR displays PCM and all channels should be transmitted as PCM 5.1)

All is fine.
Good. So same with aac gives different results? Transcode vs lpcm?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So AAC 5.1, which I'm adding 2 further options.

1.) Passthrough of AC3 enable, Speaker Numbers 2.0 (expected AVR displays AC3)

All is fine.

2.) Passthrough of AC3 disabled, Speaker Number 2.0 set (expected AVR displays PCM and all channels should be transmitted as PCM 5.1)

All is fine.

3. 1.) Passthrough of AC3 enable, Speaker Numbers 5.1 (AVR displays PCM)

Only limited sound as originally experienced.

4. Passthrough of AC3 disabled, Speaker Number 5.1 set (expected AVR displays PCM)

So the best solution (at least for me with these scenarios) is as per your original suggestion, which was AC3 enable, speaker numbers 2.0, where everything outputs in a manner that works well.
(2016-05-22, 10:48)jteeuw Wrote:
(2016-05-22, 10:28)fritsch Wrote: See fritsch.fruehberger.net/kernel this castrated Hardware has no mainline kernel support yet. See the byt folder

Thanks Fritsch , with this kernel i have audio!!

Hi fritsch,

Will the byt folder updated to the latested kernel ( linux-image-4.6.3-fritsch1+_4.6.3-fritsch1+-10.00.Custom )
No. Why?
(2016-07-02, 18:47)Bluesmanuk Wrote: So AAC 5.1, which I'm adding 2 further options.

1.) Passthrough of AC3 enable, Speaker Numbers 2.0 (expected AVR displays AC3)

All is fine.

2.) Passthrough of AC3 disabled, Speaker Number 2.0 set (expected AVR displays PCM and all channels should be transmitted as PCM 5.1)

All is fine.

2.) makes no sense. The relevant setting is AC3 Transcoding btw. and with 2.0 speakers set - _NO_ LPCM output, just 2.0. See 3.) which is funny.
Quote:3. 1.) Passthrough of AC3 enable, Speaker Numbers 5.1 (AVR displays PCM)

4. Passthrough of AC3 disabled, Speaker Number 5.1 set (expected AVR displays PCM)

Btw. AAC has nothing to do with AC3. In Kodi we just have a special mode to transcode LPCM to AC3, if user only has a SPDIF device or alternative only a 2.0 capable HDMI output, but an output capable of doing AC3. Therefore we decode to PCM and encode to AC3 and output.

So the best solution (at least for me with these scenarios) is as per your original suggestion, which was AC3 enable, speaker numbers 2.0, where everything outputs in a manner that works well.

In fact my soundbar also cannot do 5.1 - it just outputs 2.0 and the .1 is done automatically. In fact I really would wonder if it could do 5.1.
Doesn't quite make sense to me either.

Yes I have been talking about AC3 transcoding,so are on the same page there.

True, soundbars (bar a very few expensive ones) will only actually do 2.0 or 2.1 in terms of true surround sound.

But now that what I hear across the board is just what I would expect, I'm a happy camper :-)

It would be interesting to see what somebody else with a more extensive audio setup would find with the same settings.
Meh. Not doing at ALL well with the July 1st Milhouse LE build. Getting frequent dropped frames on simple videos. Using a HP Chromebox. All VAAPI options enabled. Adjust refresh rate enabled. Sync audio/video disabled since it should not be needed on this hardware. Scaling to Auto, delinterlacing set off.

Watching a [email protected] video at 1080p... and I can watch the VSyncOff number start at like -15 and over the next 30 seconds work its way down to 0, and then I'll have 1-5 dropped frames, and the number will reset to like -15 and do it all over again. And then to top it off, I'll get random 5 second periods with massive dropped frames like (70-100). I can play those segments over again and they'll be fine.

Feeling like I should've stuck with v15.... sure, I had to reboot it every couple of days, but at least it could play 720p videos without dropping a single frame!

LOG: http://pastebin.com/WVLvBWSq

-> v15 images are still there. Why suffer and helping with alpha releases when one can happily use v15 obsolete editions? :-)

PS: Thanks for the report.

Edit: Changing the scaler from Lanczos3 Optimized to Bilinear, does that change something?
(2016-07-03, 17:04)fritsch Wrote: -> v15 images are still there. Why suffer and helping with alpha releases when one can happily use v15 obsolete editions? :-)

PS: Thanks for the report.

Edit: Changing the scaler from Lanczos3 Optimized to Bilinear, does that change something?

Even alpha, I wasn't under the impression that basic playback might still be an issue! And if I'm the only one experiencing it, it might take a while to improve.

Changing to bilinear, so far the long periods of dropped frames seem to be reduced (or eliminated, not enough testing), but I'm still getting occasional dropped frames in a similar manner as before, where "pc" changes from "1' to "none" and then back again. After 8 minutes I'm up to 20 dropped frames, most of them happening 1-2 at a time.

Any idea what's happening here? When the debug dialogue was up, CPU usage was not excessive (nothing was being pegged).
Finetuning. We have a complete new mechanism to sync. See www.kodi.tv for some background on the changes.
Ah. Well, if what I'm seeing is not unexpected... then if there's something specific I can do to help, please let me know.

EDIT: I just tried disabling VAAPI (entirely) and I still see the dropped frames in a similar pattern. Further disabled VDPAU, same deal.

EDIT 2: Interesting - 1080p/23.976 doesn't seem to be nearly as bad. Playing back a full-bitrate BD with bitstreamed DTS-HD right now without problem. So... perhaps the issue I'm seeing is because with those test files, it's also decoding AAC audio to PCM?
AAC was always decoded, never passthroughed - in no version of kodi.

Check your deinterlacing method as your 29.97i is most likely interlaced material. Make sure you use the settings adviced at the beginning of this forum.
  • 260(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18