• 264(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Yeah - that's why I write in this howto: Please select "Motion Compensated".

Bob and Deinterlace need CPU copying into systemmemory and then deinterlace either by OpenGL or they use ffmpeg's YADIF.

I had such patches ready some time ago, but could not remember anymore why I did not push them.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ah... sorry, I just checked again - I indeed missed this part "Deinterlacing-Method: VAAPI-MCDI or VAAPI-MADI (Sandybridge) and VAAPI-BOB (BYT)" on page 1 Sad
The problem is:

There are still VAAPI GPUs that don't even support VPP_BOB - OpenGL works "everywhere" that's why it is the default.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok... well that sucks.

But then one could of course think on the following (being a developer myself):
1) detect the CPU (Kodi does this, "Host CPU: Intel® Celeron® CPU N3150 @ 1.60GHz...")
2) do some default presets, especially if these are very much underpowered CPU's like this one which definitely needs VAAPI BOB to actually work.

Of course this list would in theory be huge. But then it's maybe not actually required so much, just for underpowered CPU's that need some good defaults.

This is the first time after 4 different boards where in several years after using XBMC/Kodi I couldn't quickly figure out what the problem is and the issue occured "immediately".

Checking the forum to see what to do is a bit challenging I think (many threads maybe etc...). A wiki page would help, but even that is not super user friendly. "Install, use", that's how I perceive Kodi and I LOVE THAT about it!
I see you found your task :-) awaiting your PR.

Edit: http://sprunge.us/acBb
How come I assumed that might be the reply I'd get Wink

I'll look into it Smile
(2016-07-13, 08:19)fritsch Wrote: @Bluesmanuk: What software stack do you have running? Btw. the CPU percentage highly depends on the clock, if clocked down - 86% is not much.

I'm using 4.5.2-fritschsoc1+

Come to think of it I do have it clocked down in the BIOS to the most energy efficient setting.

To see just 35% would be even better though.
I dont know if it is only on my System and if it is an issue, but in the last few days the nightly shows compiled date Nov 4 2012

Quote:10:09:29 T:140044091271552 NOTICE: Starting Kodi (17.0-ALPHA3 Git:49a16ad). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
10:09:29 T:140044091271552 NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x64 build
10:09:29 T:140044091271552 NOTICE: Kodi compiled Nov 4 2012 by GCC 5.4.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.4.13 (263181)
10:09:29 T:140044091271552 NOTICE: Running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.5.4-040504-generic
AS Rock Beebox * Kodi 17.0-RC2 * Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
It's not an issue.
(2016-05-18, 09:41)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-05-18, 08:54)teeedubb Wrote: Fritsch, have yu had any luck installing plymouth with your setup procedure in the first post? Everytime I enable a splash (including ones from the ubuntu repos) I get a error alog the lines of 'a file named ".so" cannot be found, skipping theme'. Thought Id check here before filing a bug report, because you usually include a section for plymouth in your guides. Cheers

Same issue here. I did not investigate it further. I just boot with without splash as it needs max 3 seconds anyways.

After digging around I found out the location of plymouth themes has changed in 16.04, this new version works on my system

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2241...i-logo.deb
thanks very much!
Just followed the guide to set update my install on Kodibuntu 14.04 in order to get VAAPI (and thereby true 24p playback) working. It's working (1080p VAAPI playback, 24p display refresh rate sync, HD passthrough to AVR), but:

In order to get image (not only sound) I had to set "Deinterlace video" to ON and "Deinterlace method" to "Deinterlace" during playback - no other interlacing methods worked.
Also, still seeing some slight skips in video every few seconds - it's not entirely smooth.

System info
dpkg -l |grep mesa
DISPLAY=:0 vainfo
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

I'm using an Intel i5-3550 Ivy Bridge CPU with HD2500 graphics, connected to my Yamaha RX-V773 received via HDMI. Motherboard is an H77-based Asus board.

Could the CPU/GPU be an issue? I've read HD2500 doesnt cope well with 24p...
Thanks
GFX stack on ubuntu 14.04 is too old, see if the xenial backports are already available for kernel and mesa or upgrade to ubuntu 16.04
Deinterlace on is always wrong. Thx to fernet it will be gone with v17.
Thanks! Upgraded to 16.04 and now I'm able to use VAAPI-MCDI and VAAPI-MADI deinterlacing methods.

However, video playback of ~4mbps 1080p MKV is very "jittery" (constant small jerks) - with this I'd rather turn off VAAPI and live with 60hz/24fps-caused intermittent jerks.

Could my GPU be a factor here? HD2500. I checked GPU usage using
Code:
intel_gpu_top
, but it shows very low GPU usage (render busy: 16%, bitstream busy 10%) so I doubt this is a bottleneck..

When debugging in Kodi I get "VSyncOff" values in the range of 9-40.. Doesn't sound good.
  • 264(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18