Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
It is Intel hw, N3150 (Braswell), and a Samsung plasma TV, with the same values as you write (Low=Limited, Normal=Full). There is no AVR in the setup (actually there is, but using optical, no HDMI, therefore not relevant here).

In this case Kodi is used only for video playback, so the downside of gaming, pictures that are full range are not important here.

As you say, Full Range (Intel) + Full Range Kodi +8 bit dithering + Samsung TV set to Normal (full range) = excellent picture quality. And the same excellent quality is with Full Range (Intel) + Kodi set to limited + Samsung TV set to Low (limited range) = excellent picture quality, I couldn't tell the difference between these two when it comes to video playback.

Thanks for confirming this, as I was not sure that what I actually see is correct (that there is no visible pq difference between these two options in this case). And as the saying goes: if you like what you see, just use it.

Since I was (and I'm still) using an RPi2 with LE, I must say that even if the pq is really nice on Rpi2, Kodi on Intel hw with EGL is definitely better in every aspect: SD content is way better on Intel (I guess it is thanks to Lanczos3 Optimized upscaling, which is doing a great job), and live tv with VAAPI-MCDI deinterlacing is amazing (again, RPi2 does a great job with MMAL-Advanced deinterlacing, but VAAPI-MCDI is again definitely way nicer and better). Great work! Now that I have the Pulse8 CEC adapter, it is time to switch to Kodi v17 and Intel.
The only downside is the missing full 3D support RPi has, but there is still SBS and OU, and I don't really watch 3D at all anymore.

The new J3455/4205 by Intel will probably even bring full HEVC 10bit 60Hz & 4K support on Linux, combined that with EGL in Kodi v17 will be the best solution (I'm sure support for J3455 will arrive soon in Kodi). Not that there are so much need for HEVC support at the moment, not to speak about 4K content (I don't care about 4K at all, FullHD is perfectly fine for me, but HEVC support will be needed probably in near future for 1080p content too).

Messages In This Thread
Live TV broken again? - by schamane - 2016-02-29, 19:56
Random crashes - by hal2100 - 2016-03-08, 22:03
RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - by gurabli - 2016-11-25, 12:23
Strange Behaviour - by MicTie - 2016-12-07, 10:46
Working lirc with mce remote - by fr1day - 2019-08-10, 17:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18